Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

A community of volunteers who share their knowledge, and answer your tech questions. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

unable to access any desktop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 techcurve

techcurve

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hello all I'm having a problem accessing any of my desktops? I'm running XP on a dell inspiron 510 Also I'm normally armour plated when i go on the net, using and following the advice from here, however....my super antispyware has had trouble downloading recent updates....Normally this works fine...but its been stopping and not finishing download...jamming........I was beginning to suspect a bug!........argh...I think its struck :( I've tried to access my desktop as normal.....but when I hover my curser over my name icon.......no bar opens for me to place my password????....This is most unusaual. As a consequence I cannot access my desktop at all..........I'm trying to avoid a 'back to factory settings'........I have bits and pices of work I'd like to save and many bookmarks.......is it possible? I've tried tapping f8 on start up to try starting in safe mode.......I've tried a confgs........nothing...stil jammed. I would so appreciate some advice and guidance on this please. all the best techcurve

Advertisement

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well, as a temporary work around to your UI problem, you can press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the login screen. This will take you to windows classical login screen. Then you can type your username and password. Your username should be what is displayed on the windows welcome screen prior to pressing ctrl-alt-del twice. Then just type in your password as usual. Have you ruled out the possibility that you just have a bad mouse?

#3 techcurve

techcurve

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

appleoddity....:)......thanku very much!....its amazing what a couple of pressing of buttons can do, when one knows what to do.? Yes ....that has got me onto my desktop.....No lost stuff...phew!....However...there is something very odd going on....and was wondering if you knew or could point me in the right direction? I've tried to run super anti spyware.....no go....in fact...this odd happening is blocking me using any of my anti spyware, and from using my malware removal.....something has affected my spy bladter settings and avg settings which have become locked!!....Hmmmmm I've run Hi jack this and below is the report: Attached File  hjt.txt   9.48KB   11 downloads

Edited by appleoddity, 15 March 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,031 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hello techcurve. I don't analyze HiJackThis logs.

Typically "something" that is blocking all of your security software from functioning properly is going to be malware.

Please head on over to the malware removal forum and they will help you out there.

Take care.

Advertisement