Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet Explorer saves images as bitmaps

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

uninstall IE8, defragment C:, installed IE8 (including all updates for XP and IE) right-clicked 6 pics correctly, after which my PC switched to the dreaded untitled/bmp format again Peter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

after which my PC switched to the dreaded untitled/bmp format again

That is really weird. Have you scanned for malware? When did this problem start?
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#18 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

certainly sounds like you have a program or something that's resetting it back to bmp format, so i'd definitely get it checked for malware here :- http://forums.whatth...hp?showforum=27

if no malware is found then i'd start looking at any other programs you use for pictures and see if they are setting the default to bmp.

:popcorn:

#19 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Besides AVG Free 2012 Edition, I use Spybot Search & Destroy. The untitled/bmp problems disappear after cleaning the browser History (but after saving a handful of pics it re-emerge). Sometimes this doesn't help, and I use DeleteHistoryFree and MRU-Blaster programs. This always helps, but this too only briefly. The problems started during the days I was figuring out how to use NuonSoft Wallpaper Cycler Lite (not directly after installing, but during the time I was tinkering with it). I have had WallpaperCycler uninstalled for several days, but the problem remained so I've installed it again. I'll check for malware now, following the link you gave me, and let you know asap. Peter

#20 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

Regarding malware, I've used HiJackThis. The result is:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 9:45:11 AM, on 3/22/2012
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Edit by paws: We do not analyse malware logs in this forum. please use the instructions here:
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=106388
please read the directions carefully and post your logs over in the Virus and Spyware Removal forum if you wish to have your computer checked for malicious code.
HJT log uploaded here:Attached File  HJT.txt   8.01KB   216 downloads

Edited by paws, 22 March 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#21 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Concerning the graphics-applications I use that eventualy could reset all to BMP: is the list in the WinXP "Add or Remove Programs tool" of any interest ? I could make a screendump when needed. Peter

#22 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:36 AM

Hi Peter, I've edited your post slightly (see above) if we leave HJT logs open here in this forum (where we don't analyse them) the search engines likely will latch on to them and then many folks may post their logs here as well.... If you post your logs over in the Virus and Spyware removal forum then we will refrain from issuing any suggestions here in this forum whilst a trained malware fighter analyses your logs and determines if you have undesirable code present....if such code is found then they will provide you with step by step instructions for its elimination. We don't want to make the malware fighters' job more difficult than it is is by recommending any system changes that would have the effect of changing the entries in your logs. Once your machine has been declared free from infection, post back here if you are still having issues with it and we will do our best to help Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#23 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Sorry for de-railing this site's way of working. I did read the "Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal"/''posting to multiple forums', and was under the impressing to not post in multiple forums, but I must have misunderstood some basics. I'm of to the other forum, and will be back here when my PC remains stubborn. Peter

#24 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#25 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

http://forums.whatth...mp;#entry779190

Infections removed and fixed :popcorn:

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks LD :thumbup:

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#27 ringenbergh

ringenbergh

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

thanks for all you did guys ! Peter

#28 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

Hi Peter, Thats really good to hear that your computer is working properly now, and that the problem with right clicking an image is solved. Thanks to LDT for his expert analysis of your logs..... :notworthy: Regards paws

#29 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

I second that!
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!