6 replies to this topic

#1 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hello all, can someone please help. I have purchased a security camera for my home that is wireless and has capability of viewing remotely from any computer. so when im at work i can see whats going on at home. i can get it all set up right on my network at home, and i can view it from anywhere in my home but i cant connect to it outside of my network. i believe it has something to do with my wireless router and portforwarding. thanks for reading and thanks for the help

#2 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

We probably don't have enough information from your limited description to problem-solve your specific setup.

Here's a "general overview'
http://www.ehow.com/...r-internet.html
If that helps... good, you're done.

If not, please post back with brand of camera and other information about the installed hardware and software.

Best Regards

#3 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

sorry, it is an airsight ip camera from x10.com. It didnt really have any software with it other then an active x. my router is netgear mr814 v2. i think all my problems are portfowarding and being able to access my ip from the outside. thanks again

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,850 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

How do you know what your IP address is? It will not be the one assigned through the router, a 192.168.x.x address, it will be the one the broadband modem gets from your ISP and what you router calls a WAN (Wide Area Network) address. What does the manual say about installation and Wireless setup? What I found on the internet says the install disc should do this for you. PS: I don't need to see your real IP address and it's not a good idea to post it in a public forum, I just wanted you to be aware of which IP address you need to use.

Edited by Ztruker, 09 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#5 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

To discover your external IP -- whatismyip.com Keep in mind that since you probably have a "dynamic" IP, you will have to change the settings each time you are assigned a new IP by your ISP.

#6 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

so what you are saying is, i need to portforward my ip address that i get from "whatismyip.com"?, what port do i use. and the instructions that come with the camera are very very confusing to me. thanks for the help steve

#7 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Have you had a look at the Quick Start manual.
http://www.x10.com/s...ort_manuals.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users