Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87514 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

connecting remotely

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Hello all, can someone please help. I have purchased a security camera for my home that is wireless and has capability of viewing remotely from any computer. so when im at work i can see whats going on at home. i can get it all set up right on my network at home, and i can view it from anywhere in my home but i cant connect to it outside of my network. i believe it has something to do with my wireless router and portforwarding. thanks for reading and thanks for the help

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

We probably don't have enough information from your limited description to problem-solve your specific setup.

Here's a "general overview'
http://www.ehow.com/...r-internet.html
If that helps... good, you're done.

If not, please post back with brand of camera and other information about the installed hardware and software.

Best Regards

#3 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

sorry, it is an airsight ip camera from x10.com. It didnt really have any software with it other then an active x. my router is netgear mr814 v2. i think all my problems are portfowarding and being able to access my ip from the outside. thanks again

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,966 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

How do you know what your IP address is? It will not be the one assigned through the router, a 192.168.x.x address, it will be the one the broadband modem gets from your ISP and what you router calls a WAN (Wide Area Network) address. What does the manual say about installation and Wireless setup? What I found on the internet says the install disc should do this for you. PS: I don't need to see your real IP address and it's not a good idea to post it in a public forum, I just wanted you to be aware of which IP address you need to use.

Edited by Ztruker, 09 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

To discover your external IP -- whatismyip.com Keep in mind that since you probably have a "dynamic" IP, you will have to change the settings each time you are assigned a new IP by your ISP.

#6 steveok

steveok

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

so what you are saying is, i need to portforward my ip address that i get from "whatismyip.com"?, what port do i use. and the instructions that come with the camera are very very confusing to me. thanks for the help steve

#7 Doug

Doug

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Have you had a look at the Quick Start manual.
http://www.x10.com/s...ort_manuals.htm