Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87496 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Change volume level in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 starwood

starwood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have a new asus laptop with windows 7 and I just can't get the volume up to a decent level. I have tried things I've found by searching and nothing works satisfactorily. 1. I tried to enable loudness equalizer but mine only says equalizer. 2. I have tried to increase volume in bios above 4 but mine is greyed out and I can't change it. 3. All my settings are at max level. I'm very frustrated and unhappy with the sound on this computer. Any help is appreciated.

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,960 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

Contact the place you purchased it and have them fix it or replace it. Sounds like defective hardware to me.

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hi starwood, As well as Ztruker's usual excellent advice here's some thoughts for you: 1 Check the technical specification of your Asus some of them come equipped with 2 speakers built in but some just have the one...this is a trend that some manufacturers seem to be following (fitting just one speaker) in an attempt to keep costs down and their products as price competitive as possble. Some of my customers have complained to me about the same sort of problem not realising that their machine ( not necessarily Asus) only have a mono speaker. 2 Many Asus laptops come with Asus Sonic Focus (Synopsys) included and this has the effect of greatly improving audio output.... they describe it as: "Audio enhanced with Sonic Focus technology, creating a wide surround sound, added vocal clarity and deep bass" If its fitted you may have an icon (hidden!) in the notification area, but also check in your C:\Program Files\Asus folder...... it can usually be switched on or off, so if you have it make sure its set to "on" 3 Try connecting up to a pair of external speakers..... this should check certain elements of your audio circuits (but not all) the sound quality and volume should be improved.....but the internal speaker(s) will be cut out all the time external units are used. Hope this helps Regards paws

#4 starwood

starwood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

How do I find out if it has one or 2 speakers? It says stereo and integrated speakers. I adjusted sonic and that seems to help a bit. Everything was at the lowest point.

Edited by starwood, 05 March 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi starwood,

How do I find out if it has one or 2 speakers? It says stereo and integrated speakers

Stereo means 2 speakers....( or more!) but to be sure place your ear near to the speaker grills...you should hear sounds (when you are playing music for example) coming from 2 different areas of the computer....
you can check the specification by referring to the owners manual...or if you prefer firing up your favourite search engine, entering the make and model number....and checking the results for the tech specs.

adjusted sonic and that seems to help a bit. Everything was at the lowest point.

That's good that you found it was already fitted as it does make quite a difference...you can adjust the levels .... as this may help.
Regards
paws

#6 starwood

starwood

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I don't see any mention in the manual of one or 2 speakers but it always seems to refer to speakerS (plural).

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi starwood If it says stereo then this means there are 2 speakers (or more) Regards paws