PC will not shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bedbug

bedbug

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

Good morning, About a week ago I got up to find that my PC did not shut down after the last user. At the same time, I discovered that the fan on the power supply had quit spinning & could feel and smell that the power supply while still delivering power had overheated. I decided to log into windows and shut down the PC. The PC however did not shut down. but rebooted. This happened several times, so i turned the wall switch off. When I turned the wall switch back on and turned on the PC, same problem. I took the PC to get a new power supply and while I was at the repair shop we powered up the PC, logged into windows 7 and powered down. At the repair shop, it shut down as it should. When I got home, Several people used the PC, and when I got up this morning had the same problem- The PC will not shut down. I have rolled back the PC using system restore to five days before this problem, but the problems persists I tried to hibernate the PC but it only rebooted instead of shutting completely down. Does any one have any ideas about what to do? so far I just let the thing keep running, but while we are away and during storms, I power down everything.

#2 paws

paws

SuperHelper

• Global Moderator
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hi bedbug, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer. As the repair shop fitted a new PSU it may be wise to go back to them...... PSU are designed to "fail safe" and not allow damage to your motherboard in these sort of situations...... however notwithstanding that I would ask the repair shop to check things out... As a temporary measure you should be able to shut down your machine by the following procedure: 1 Close any windows you may have open ( X out of them) 2 Exit from any applications that you have running 3 Hold in the "power on" switch for 20 seconds...keep it pushed in...after approx 10 seconds your computer should shut down...... 4 Wait 30 seconds with a blank black screen 5 Power on your machine in the normal way with just one single push on the power on switch... This hard shutdown is only for "emergency" use as it can lead to file and or data corruption. Do not be alarmed if you receive a warning of an abnormal shutdown...and if a disc integrity check starts then allow it to continue uninterrupted.... it may take quite a while for the disc check to complete...so leave it be... it will reboot your machine when its done.... you should then be able to shut down normally Regards paws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users