Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

WAN Winpro (IPX) driver problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 solo58

solo58

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

Help!
My Toshiba Laptop can't connect to the internet.
I'm getting a connected signal with my home wireless network with full bars, and network connections shows the wireless network connected. I've confirmed that the network works because other computers in the house are connected.
I've disabled the device, and re-enabled with no success.
I've run ipconfig. I'm getting an IP address of: 192.168.0.1, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and nothing for the default gateway. There is another IP address of gobbledy gook - fe80::218:deff:fe48:1180%4
I've searched and tried popular solutions, such as:
To fix the problem you need to open up the Device Manager. Next you right click on the Wan Miniport with the yellow exclamation point. You go to Update Driver. Hit no when it asks you if you want to connect to Windows Update and then hit next. Now select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Then hit next. Now you select "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" and then hit next. Since this driver for this device is built into the Windows operating system Windows will automatically install the driver for you once you hit next. The device manager conflict for Wan Miniport IPX driver will now disappear.
But when I restart I still have the problem.
I've tried restarting in safe mode with network connection - nothing.
I've tried reloading the drivers by searching for the driver on the Toshiba two driver disks that are used to reload the system when rebuilding the laptop - nothing.
I've tried searching and downloading a driver from the internet - I can't seem to find one.
I've tried restarting in an earlier system configuration - nada.
I recall - the last time the machine could connect to the internet, I had seen that Spigot was loaded on msconfig in Startup. I manually removed Spigot by going into the common files folder...but I couldn't remove all the files.
I searched online and saw that AOL might be related; I first tried to remove AOL with RevoUninstaller - but AOL didn't show up.
So I manually deleted the AOL folder from the Programs folder.
I was able to eventually remove the remaining Spigot files and folder.
I've run Malware bytes and MSE - no viruses detected.
I'm out of ideas...

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

You left out one important piece of information. What is the full model number of the Toshiba laptop? Need that to be able to help.

#3 solo58

solo58

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Satellite A105-S4324 Model No: PSAA8U-14F02K Serial No: X6267567Q

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

This is the latest driver from Toshiba for the Intel PRO 10/100 NIC

Please post a snapshot of the Device Manager window with Network Adapters expanded.

CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy
UPLOAD IMAGE - How to upload into your thread, Windows Made Easy

#5 solo58

solo58

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

The screen shot is enclosed in an attached GIF file from Paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• Toshiba_Satellite_WAN_Miniport_Problem.GIF

#6 solo58

solo58

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Also, I couldn't find/see the driver you refer to in the link you posted to the Toshiba web site.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Toshiba_A105_S4324.jpg

#8 solo58

solo58

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

So...Another laptop in the house had a similar problem...I started to suspect a virus. Just for grins, I connected with a hard line to the modem. As expected, both computers connected. Then I deleted the wireless connection from both machines. and re-installed. Tadah...problems gone. Who know's....

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Who knows, who cares! You got it working, that's the important part. Good luck.