My Toshiba Laptop can't connect to the internet.
I'm getting a connected signal with my home wireless network with full bars, and network connections shows the wireless network connected. I've confirmed that the network works because other computers in the house are connected.
I've disabled the device, and re-enabled with no success.
I've run ipconfig. I'm getting an IP address of: 192.168.0.1, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and nothing for the default gateway. There is another IP address of gobbledy gook - fe80::218:deff:fe48:1180%4
I've searched and tried popular solutions, such as:
To fix the problem you need to open up the Device Manager. Next you right click on the Wan Miniport with the yellow exclamation point. You go to Update Driver. Hit no when it asks you if you want to connect to Windows Update and then hit next. Now select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Then hit next. Now you select "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" and then hit next. Since this driver for this device is built into the Windows operating system Windows will automatically install the driver for you once you hit next. The device manager conflict for Wan Miniport IPX driver will now disappear.
But when I restart I still have the problem.
I've tried restarting in safe mode with network connection - nothing.
I've tried reloading the drivers by searching for the driver on the Toshiba two driver disks that are used to reload the system when rebuilding the laptop - nothing.
I've tried searching and downloading a driver from the internet - I can't seem to find one.
I've tried restarting in an earlier system configuration - nada.
I recall - the last time the machine could connect to the internet, I had seen that Spigot was loaded on msconfig in Startup. I manually removed Spigot by going into the common files folder...but I couldn't remove all the files.
I searched online and saw that AOL might be related; I first tried to remove AOL with RevoUninstaller - but AOL didn't show up.
So I manually deleted the AOL folder from the Programs folder.
I was able to eventually remove the remaining Spigot files and folder.
I've run Malware bytes and MSE - no viruses detected.
I'm out of ideas...