Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

WINDOWS 7 SOFTWARE ERRORS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kaos123

kaos123

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

I Turned my PC Off in a RUSH, (i just turned the main power off) I come home i turn it back on, firstly i have an issue with my display, as i use dual monitors only one monitor was working, i some how got both of the monitors to work because windows was doing an update on my GFX driver i think, I then decide to go on to start menu and go to system restore, but my start menu does not expand to other boxes only stays in its original box , e.g if i clicked on all programmes it will open in its single box, when you originally click on start. i get to the system restore app , it then says to me that there are no restore points on my system. i found that also very strange. I have 2 gadgets on the Screen which is a CPU reader and a Clock, they would not load, my Skype does not load and my internet explorer does not load. I restarted my PC thinking it just needs a refresh start, I then get this error on startup "The ordinal 379 could not be located in the dynamic link library ierutil.dll" I googled this error and someone has told me its my internet explorer that is causing the problem, I have tried uninstalling my windows explorer 8 through the control panel > uninstall programmes >Turn windows features on or off , but there is nothing there for me to untick as everyone is telling me online to untick the internet explorer tab. Is there a Software to uninstall windows 8?? What is wrong with my PC, I have also done a malaware scan and there are no viruses. So i need help in firstly opening up my softwares as Internet explorer is preventing them I need to get my start menu to work properly

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

#3 kaos123

kaos123

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

This is a PC not a LAPTOP, btw i have fixed the issue on the programmes that do not load, I am using Windows 7 64bit btw, Windows Can not seem to download or update this one file why is that? it keeps saying failed to update the file i am trying to update is "Security update for windows 7 for 64bit-based systems (KB2644615)

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,010 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

Update your info under your user name, it still says Windows XP.

Try downloading and installing the stand alone version, see if that works: Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2644615)

What is the complete error message? Any more info if you click on Details?