Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Multiple trojan infestations. Hidden partition. Blue Screen during Reb

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoshProto22

JoshProto22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have been working with a helper at Spybot forums for a few weeks now. We have been meeting dead ends st every turn during the removal process. Now, I have the blue screen of death when startup. Unfortunately, I do not have my original windows xp install disk.

I would be extremely thankful if someone here can help me get going again.

(I am using my phone to start this topic and do not have access to a clean computer right now.)

For more information about my problems and removal progress, please see the original thread here:

http://forums.spybot...ead.php?t=65063

Thanks very much!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

You should be able to restore most Dell laptops (what model do you have?) to factory default without any disks. After boot when the Dell screen appears, press and hold the CTRL and F11 key simultaneously (very important) on the keyboard, then release them both at the same time. The Dell PC Restore window will then appear. You might have to make a few attempts. Remember that you will lose all personal data. If you need to rescue data you will need access to a computer to create a Puppy Linux disk which can be used to access that data and remove it to a USB storage device. Let us know if you want to remove data. Cheers, Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 JoshProto22

JoshProto22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hi Lee, Thanks a lot for taking on my case. My laptop is a Dell E1505. I believe I have most, if not all, of my personal files already backed up on an external hard drive. I haven't tried the CTRL + F11 restore procedure as of yet. Do you think I should still give it a try? I'm also considering installing Windows 7 if all else fails. Just let me know if you still think I should try the restore procedure or if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

Definitely use Ctrl+F11 to go back to factory new state.
Once done you will need to install the Service Packs. If your CD includes SP1 then you can go directly to SP3 since it includes everything in SP2. If not, install SP2 then SP3.
Download and install all updates (108 at last count I think).
Install your anti-virus (Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use)

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 JoshProto22

JoshProto22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

I completed the f11 restore process and it seems to have worked like a charm. However, now I am having a very difficult time connecting to my wireless network. I went through the connection process and entered my encryption key but I get an error message after it tries to connect. My computer is using Intel proset/wireless when trying to connect. Of course, like everything else, this is a different version than what I was using before the restore. Do you have any ideas on where I need to go from here to reestablish my connection? Also, you mentioned installing service packs from a cd. I do not have an install cd so is there another way to obtain the service packs? Thanks very much for your help.

#6 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

I went through the connection process and entered my encryption key but I get an error message after it tries to connect.

You will find that your Intel proset/wireless in XP needs at least SP2 to work. Download SP2 first from here and then try to connect again. Download the file to disk or thumb drive on another computer and then install into the factory default. Use your Wireless Network Configuration Wizard for the easiest Intel proset/wireless setup.

Once you are up and running again, head on over to Windows Updates for everything else you need..

After you have done with the updates, you might like to consider downloading and running Decrapifier to identify and then remove all the Dell junkware programs that will be on a new factory default restore. This will free-up your RAM / Memory and also your startup menu.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

I didn't mention installing from CD. I said if your installk CD did not have SP1 ... but since you were able to use the built in Recovery via F11, see what SP level it's at. Right click on My Computer and select Properties. It will tell you there. If it doesn't say anything about SP level then you have none so will have to download and install SP2 then SP3. I gave you links for both of them.

Instead of SP2, you could install SP1A then SP3. SP1A is a smaller download and installs much quicker than SP2.

You can also change to have Windows manage your wireless. This is the way I always ran with XP.

To have Windows XP manage your wireless network connection, do the following.

• Open Services (Start then Run, type services.msc and press Enter)
  • Double click on Wireless Zero Configuration
  • Set Startup type to Automatic
  • Click the Start button to start the service
  • Click Apply then OK
  • Open Network Connections.
  • Right click on Wireless Network Connection, select Properties.
  • Click the Wireless Networks tab and check the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" box.
  • Click OK.
Shutdown and reboot to have this take effect.

Disable the Intel wireless manager. Hmmm, it may even have a selection that says something about Let Windows manage the wireless. Right click on the icon in the task bar to see what's available.

Rich

#8 JoshProto22

JoshProto22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi, Thanks to both of you for your replies. I haven't been able to try out these last suggestions as of yet because I won't have access to another computer until Tuesday night. I'll keep you both posted on my progress. Thanks again for all your help. :thumbup:

#9 JoshProto22

JoshProto22

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Hi, I'm back with my progress update. I've installed SP3, completed the Windows update process and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I have run into a few problems, though... 1.) I still haven't been able to connect to the internet through wireless. (Connecting directly to the router with an ethernet cable works fine.) I tried your recommendations above but I'm still receiving an error message saying there's a problem with my key. I've double-checked my key and it seems to be correct. My phone connects fine using this same key code. 2.) I haven't been able to update my Dell drivers so far. I've had issues viewing the Dell web pages correctly with Internet Explorer (IE6). I'm not sure what this is all about. Things on the page are out of place and graphics and text are pixelated. I thought this may be a Java problem so I downloaded the latest Java version but that didn't help. I wanted to try Firefox but Dell says they require Internet Explorer for their driver update system to work. 3.) This is the big one. Microsoft Security Essentials found a serious threat during the quick scan. Here's what it found: Trojan:DOS/Alureon.E boot:\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0\Partition3 (Type 17) MSE recommended that I allow it to remove the threat but it came back and said it couldn't remove it. (Error Code: 0x80501001) I've also noticed some random websites loading during Google searches which is a problem I was experiencing when I all of my computer problems first began. OK, that's where I am at this point. Again, I would appreciate any advice you can give to help me solve these issues. Thanks very much!

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

That can be a nasty rootkit. Go to the Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal forum, read the info there and follow the posted directions. Once you receive a clean bill of health, come back here and we'll work on the rest of the problems.
Please be patient as that is a very busy area. If you do not receive a response in 3 days, post a message here: What To Do If You Have No Response In 3 Days?

Do not reply to your post there as the malware folks look for posts with no replies first.

A rootkit like that will not be removed by using the built-in recovery partition since it infects the MBR (Master Boot Record).

Edited by Ztruker, 23 February 2012 - 05:00 PM.

Rich