Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Keyboard Error at Start-uo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

When booting computer, process halts at BIOS screen with message "Keyboard error or no keyboard present. Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup". Of course, I can do neither without the keyboard. Keyboard is USB connected. OS is Win XP. Tried connecting keyboard to different USB port, but didn't help. Any suggestions? Thx, Jeff

Advertisement

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

What sort of system do you have? Brand and model number. What sort of keyboard do you have? Brand and model number. The keyboard might not be comparable with your computer. Please try another keyboard (borrow one). As the keyboard is a non-thinking plug and play peripheral, it is not a serious problem as it can be easily replaced quite cheaply. Cheers. Lee

#3 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

is this a new keyboard and did you used to have a keyboard that plugged in with a ps2 round connector? if this is a new keyboard you might find that you need to change a setting in the bios to recognise the usb keyboard on startup. :popcorn:

#4 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I plugged in a PS2 connection keyboard and now I can use my keyboard. Not sure what could have been wrong with the other USB connected keyboard, but I can type now. Thx.

#5 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • Interests:Aerobatics, Roller coasters, Parachuting or anything else risky for a laugh lol.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

I suspect the issue is down to the system, during boot USB ports don't become active until a certain stage of the boot (pretty much at the desktop stage), but for it not to work after you have booted I am not too sure, if you plug the USB keyboard in once fully booted does it work then ? Assuming it does it is most likely related, also try another USB port and see if that helps, but due to situations like this I always keep a PS2 keyboard at hand, it has made life a lot easier when this happens, another idea is check you have the latest drivers, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen patches for USB issues, if you want to check the port itself, plug in any other USB device and see if that works, hopefully this will help narrow down where\what the issue is\was.

Advertisement

Register to Remove