Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87508 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Kindle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hello Kindle seems not to have a typical model specification but the data I am giving is what I believe belongs to my device. "Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication or Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS); does not connect to WPA and WPA2 secured networks using 802.1X authentication methods; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks. I registered my Kindle at Amazon which requires giving a credit card. I have a user name and a passowrd to access my account. I never use this type of situation because of a lack of security but my wife out voted me. I turned off wireless and had no connection. I was hoping to use my protected home network but it seems I can't. This has a built in keyboard and entices you to use the new browser(Google) but I read about fees being charged. I am not that techy to begin with and this really has me confused(the device and the account.) What would you suggest I do, shy of closing the account and giving it away, to increase the security. I will entertain rthe former if it is advisable. Just because there are millions of Kindlers out there does not mean i want to be another vulnerable one. I hope the paragraph I pasted will help you render an opinion about my pc, the Kindle and the account from a security point of view. Thank you

Edited by Peter1, 21 January 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

for day to day use leave the wi-fi switched off, just turn it on and connect to your lan when you need/want to install a new book to it. i don't know why you can't connect to your homenetwork but it should be able to using wpa2 and a passphrase(this is not the same as "using 802.1X authentication methods" ). all i did when i bought my mum one for xmas was to connect it to her local network, register it with amazon and that's it, any time she wants to buy a book she just turns the wifi on, it automatically connects to her lan and then she can browse the books and click on buy and it starts downloading to her kindle. :popcorn:

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Terry, I worked with a tech at Kindle/Amazon and there was a glitch with my 3G ver 4.0 in that i could not use my homenetwork to connect to the internet. Working together, that has been resolved. She consulted others and together they were able to help. After about 7 tries, the characters started to behave so that they were hidden as I typed. It appears that you can go directly to the site via WIFI or you can use your home network to do so. Peter

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:36 PM

just noticed your reply peter, glad you got it sorted. how you enjoying using it? is it as enjoyable as a book? was thinking of getting one for myself at some point but i'd need a water proof version, i'm always reading while having a relaxing soak in the bath and dropping my books off the side into the water.. :rofl: :popcorn: just thought i'd correct you a little and point out wi-fi is the connection to your home network and it's 3g your meaning when you say wi-fi and that uses the mobile phone network/masts to connect to amazon. i knew what you meant tho and so did you probably. ;) that's the more expensive version than the one i bought for my mum, nearly got that one but didn't have enough money at the time.

Edited by terry1966, 17 February 2012 - 03:43 PM.