Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Internet won't connect after virus romoval

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Juwayyid

Juwayyid

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

Well, I was hit with a nasty virus while playing a game on facebook. After removing it I could no longer connect to the Internet. I have spent the last day reading so many different blogs and post with advice, yet nothing has worked. I use Mozilla primarily, and when I try to access any browser, a "server not found" error message appears instead of the webpage. After fooling around a bit, I activated private browsing. Nothing worked after that, but after deactivating private browsing the main yahoo home page appeared, yet any link from there still would not work. Is there any further help available? This is happening at the worst time! :(

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 7,002 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi Juwayyid, welcome to WhatTheTech.

Give this a try: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 2,953 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:20 PM

Juwayyid, I work in the IT industry and most of the malware I have seen recently does break your internet connection. It also usually comes with a rootkit component.

These buggers are not too difficult to remove, but it needs to be done properly. If Ztruker's recommendation does not restore your internet your best bet is to head on over to the malware removal forum. You'll need to work with a helper there to make sure your system really is clean and then restore the affected file that has broken your internet connection. They'll have the right tools and instructions to get you back on the right track.