Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

LIST OF FILES - How to create from Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

Download and install ContextEdit to add a new entry to the Windows Explorer Context (right click) menu. It calls a batch file (.bat) that creates a list of all the files in a folder and writes it to a file in the default temp directory, then opens notepad with that file and then deletes the file. Just tested it on my Win 7 Pro X64 system and it works great.

Here is the batch file I use:

GenFileList.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen %1 >%temp%\GenFileList.txt & notepad %temp%\GenFileList.txt & del %temp%\GenFileList.txt

Above must all be on one line.

If you want just the filename.exe then add the /b switch after the /a, like this:

dir /a /b /-p /o:gen %1 >%temp%\GenFileList.txt & notepad %temp%\GenFileList.txt & del %temp%\GenFileList.txt

Open ContextEdit.
Scroll down to Folder. There may be two of them. If so, select the one that shows Internal name: Folder in the top of the ContextEdit window.
Click the New button.
Call the internal name genfilelist.
You can assign anything you want for the menu name, I used Create File List.
Set the Command line to the path you created GenFileList.bat in, for example:

c:\users\yourname\GenFileList.bat %1

The %1 is critical as that passes the full folder path to the batch file.

Click OK.

Now open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you want the file list for. Right click on it and select Create. The list of files will show in a notepad window. There will also be a black Command Prompt window but that will go away when you close the notepad window.

Edited by Ztruker, 07 November 2014 - 06:50 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Computer Techie

Computer Techie

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

Really helpful for me. Excellent. :)