Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87510 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Wireless N Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mickey7

mickey7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

This may sound like a stupid question because I can't see the forest for the trees, but I can't locate this answer before shopping. My question is this: I currently have a Linksys g router in my home. I have a printer (wired), two laptops and a desktop computers and a wii linked to this. Until recently, all has gone very well. Lately however, the system seems very slow on any computer (range 6yrs to 3 mos in age). I have noticed the light panel in the front is no longer white but orange. I usually believe that this is a firmware update that is needed. I have checked and all states that I am on the most current version. What else could be causing this? I have also thought that maybe it is time for a new router in any event as this one is a few years old as well. I wanted to get an N wireless router hoping for better range. Second floor and third floor is spotty. My question with regard to this is: all n router that I have looked at state they support b/g/n. Does this mean that I do not have to also buy a network adapter for the older computer that only has b/g? Recommendations? Work with old one or go for the new one???? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,966 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

I just replaced my old Dell 2350 Wireless B/G router with a Belkin N450 Wireless N Gigabit router. That gives both of my Ethernet connected computers Gigabit speed while my laptop still connects at 54Mbs (G), so you will not have to upgrade your older computers.

#3 mickey7

mickey7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

I live in a very rural area where I have had more success with linksys than belkin or netgear. Any suggestions with that company?

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,966 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

All the newer routers seem to work well from what I've read but I have no personal experience with any other than the two I mentioned. All N routers I've read about are backward compatible with B and G so which ever you choose will not cause a problem in that regard.