Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87515 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Computer randomly Crashed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nman

Nman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:48 PM

Well now.... it has been a while since I have come on by.... hasn't it? My computer was doing great too, found the problem with the scans, and it got fixed (software conflict.... so simple... and yet gave us all such a headache....) and it was running beautiful.... but about 20 minutes ago... it crashed for no reason that I can tell.... It just turned off, no blue screen, no warning, no windows trying to tell me something was wrong, just a big old crash. So... my question is this, what happened? Is there any way to tell? Windows won't tell me, and the Toshiba Health monitor won't say a thing about it either... like it didn't happen. Any thoughts? I have a Toshiba Satellite with windows Vista on it, home premium. Anything else you need, feel free to ask. I am running a cooling fan under it, but that doesn't seen to help, as it seemed hot when it crashed, but not more so than normal... Anyway, thanks for your time! PS To give a bit more detail, it did make a sound when it went off, like a power off noise... only not a software noise like what windows makes, just like when you turn off your tv... only... a bit different... you know what... I am probably complicating things now.... lol sorry. Edit #2 Okay, had to start using my wife's computer because mine actually beeped at me.... so I am sure there is an issue now... just not to sure as to what the issue is... and not sure I really want to know... Anyway, I shut it down for now because I want to prevent any further damage to my laptop than has already been done. My black tie protection expires this month, so I hope it is still good, don't have tons of money for some crazy fix. Anyway, let me know what you think the issue is. Edit #3 If this helps any, I leave it plugged in (never take the darn thing anywhere at all anyway... kind of pointless to have a laptop then =D But I also leave the battery in as well... could that also cause a problem? Is that a bad idea? Is there somewhere I should store my battery that I never use?

Edited by Nman, 07 October 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

Hi nman, Sorry to hear of the problem with your Toshiba computer. There are some clues in your post as to the root of the problem but if you could provide the answers to the following it would help us zero in on the problem. 1 As your laptop is plugged in but switched off there should be some lights visible on it and or the power supply....can you see them? 2 If you leave the machine alone for 2 hours and then try to power it up....what happens, (any lights show, fans turning, vibrations from the hard drive (hold your ear down softly against the keyboard) 3 Have you ever or do you sometimes have the laptop computer on any surface that is not a table top or desk..... ie has it ever been used on a cloth or a lap or a bed or couch or settee or come into contact with any cloth....? 4 When did you last carry out an external clean of the heating vents, fan inlets and accessible parts using a low pressure cylinder of compressed air (air duster) 5 How long since you did an internal clean, dismantling it to get at the CPU and heat sink pipes and clean off the internal fan passages? 6 How old is the computer? Post back with the above information and we will advise the next steps. Regards paws

#3 Nman

Nman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

Hello again Paws, and thanks for your reply. I will answer your questions with corresponding numbers to make things easier. 1.Yes, but right after the crash there were none. 2. I actually wrote that op's first half on my lap top, after a bit, it was able to run again, but it did beep, which is when I turned it off. 3. My wife has upon a very rare occasion used it on the bed, but only once or twice. 4. I have cleaned it externally with a vacuum and/or cloth at least once a month. Never did use compressed air (maybe a good idea though...) 5.Never had an internal cleaning, not sure how much that would cost, and if I did it, I would fry the darn thing.... I am not the best with electro-shock deals... 6.I got it about two-three years ago after my Tecra bit the dust (electro-shock to the mother board.... yeah...) Again, thanks Paws, you and the rest of the crew here are always helpful! Edit, ran a Check Disk via the command prompt and it turned up nothing, so I hope that is a good sign (turned up nothing, as in nothing was wrong, not that there wasn't a disk).

Edited by Nman, 08 October 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Hi Nman, All understood ...thanks.
:thumbup:
Its looking like the "over temperature cut out" maybe is operating to shut down the machine when the internal temperatures rise above a certain preset figure

The idea behind the temperature cut out is to close down your machine when the temperature rises above a critical level in order to prevent overheating damage to sensitive internal parts CPU etc.

Temperature rise beyond normal levels is common with a 3 year old laptop...and some a lot younger.... to cool the inner parts of the computer outside air is drawn in and circulated by the fan around the CPU and heat sink and associated cooling pipes and then exhausted by the vents back into the room atmosphere.

Normally this works well and keeps temps within range however air that is drawn into the computer contains microscopic elements, fbres, dust, pollen dog cat or human skin debris! and many other things.....we can't see it but its there..... these particulates "settle" within the internal parts of the computer building up over a period of time to create a "blanket" that prevents the cooler air from reaching the hot parts....... and I think this maybe the problem you experience....

The beep code when your computer shuts down may confirm this.....

A small investment in an "air duster" (a can of low pressure, but nevertheless compressed purified air ) specifically used for the cleaning of computers might be wise..... be sure to blow out the air vents and fan areas in the direction of air flow to start off with.......

Here's a link for a temperature monitor
http://www.cputhermometer.com/

If the temps are still too high then its a strip down and internal clean and maybe fan replacement/lubrication that will be needed....

Any work on a laptop that involves a degree of dismantling is bound to be relatively expensive.......

Even in the best equipped workshops with technicians that know their stuff......brittle plastic parts can break...when dismantling and extra time is taken either ordering replacement parts (when available....) or more likely "supergluing" them back together again....!

Good luck and let us know how you get on
Regards
paws

#5 Nman

Nman

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Paws! I am going out today to get some compressed air (and new phone... old one died, see what I mean about technology, I am a night mare, lol!) to clean it out. I had also bought a new fan recently, for under my lap top, because the old one was loud, but never did I have a heat problem till I bought this new one. Glad I still have the old one, guess it will be back to using that! I will get that program as well and give it a whirl! Thanks a million! If the problem persists I will let you know!

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 5,162 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

:thumbup: Good luck regards paws