Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Need help getting files off of old win xp drive

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

thanks for your patience leader2

now this guide was written with you in mind,
i assumed both your hard drives only had 1 partition and were in the old pc connected as i suggested in an earlier post with the master (sda1 drive with lost files) on the end cable connection and the slave(sdb1 empty 6gb drive where the files will be saved) on the middle connection.

sda1 should show up as the largest drive and sdb1 should show up as the 6gb drive when your in puppy, if they don't show up like the guide please post any discrepancies in your next reply before going any farther, last thing we want is for you to use/write to the wrong drive/partition.

i only searched for mp3 and wav music files because they should fit onto your 6gb drive from what you've said, if you do find your lost music files then we're going to need to connect the search drive to your new pc and run puppy on there with some changes to the search/save, drive/partitions because i doubt the 6gb drive will be big enough to save your video files to.

just had a thought while writing this.. your 6gb drive is that an actual physical hard drive or was it just a hard drive that showed up in your windows os when it was working?

anyway i hope this helps..

:popcorn:

Thanks so much for the tutorial terry. But I was wondering before I begin, will it work if I have the 6gb as the master and the old 120 gb (which has the files I need) as the slave? As I said in my original post this was my setup once I had the problem with the drive. Please let me know so that I can know what to do before I begin. Thanks so much.

#33 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

yes it will work like that, the only difference should be is that the 6gb drive will show up as sda1 and the larger drive with the files on should show up as sdb1. you should be able to tell each drive by the difference in sizes, let me know tho if there are more than a single partition on either drive.. eg. sda or sdb shows up more than once with different numbers. of course you'd change the guide so you're searching the sdb drive and saving to the sda1 partition, instead of what i did and search the sda drive and save to the sdb1 partition. :popcorn:

#34 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:12 AM

Ok so what you are saying is that the master always shows up as sda1 and the slave as sdb1? And yes there is only 1 partiton per drive. So with that being the case all I should see is sda 1 and sdb1 right? No other drives with no other numbers correct? Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get this right. :blush:

#35 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

yes that is correct. sda is always the first hard drive, sdb 2nd, sdc 3rd, etc. as seen in your bios. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 06 October 2011 - 11:47 AM.

#36 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Thank you so much for your help terry. It is going to take me while to get things together so I might be a few days posting back on the thread to let you know how things are going, but I will use the tutorial. Thanks again. :)

#37 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Wait a minute terry. I don't have the internet on my old computer. Just my new one. You said I will have to download and install photorecovery from a site and install it onto the old comp. Can't I just dl that onto a flashdrive on my new comp and add the flash drive to my old comp and install from there? Will that work? Because I have no way to get the internet onto this old comp at all. Thanks and please let me know. Btw sorry if it's any trouble for you. I didn't know you needed to dl the photorec while on the old comp, I thought that came with the puppy.

#38 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

yes you can save photorec to a flash drive and install it from there no problems.

you could even run it on your new pc with the old hard drive connected in your external enclosure.
windows has it's version of photorec too so you don't even need to use puppy really.

the only thing you need to know is which drive shows up as what and where,
then you can make the correct choices on where to search for and where to save those lost files.

here's a temporary link (i think everyone can see that part of the site anyway) to the guide as it stands now, bit more polished :- http://forums.whatth...howtopic=120626

photorecs official guide :- http://www.cgsecurit...ec_Step_By_Step

Edited by terry1966, 06 October 2011 - 06:48 PM.

#39 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

Hi terry. I put the 120 gb that was having the problem in as the slave and put the linux puppy cd in the cd drive. I set the comp to starup up as cd rom first, but it wouldn't go to puppy it just gave the same error message as before about windows not starting. This was the message: Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not be read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the windows documentation about the hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals additional information. Terry I am really perturbed about this one. What should I do? The puppy should have booted up despite the fact that windows was having this problem based on what you said before. Please give me further instruction. Thanks.

#40 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Very impressive walk-through Terry :notworthy:

http://forums.whatth...h...20435&st=15

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

make sure your hard drives are not connected to the same cable your cd drive is on, check all connections to the cd drive, yes it should boot if your cd drive is working.

check the cd itself on your new pc and see if it boots ok, if so then it should boot ok on your old pc.
you could always burn another disc tho and try that.

when the pc is booting do you see an option that says something like F12 for boot options? if so tap it when booting and you should then get the choice of what to boot from, choose the cd drive and see if it boots now(this will rule out a wrong choice in bios)

if the cd is good and everything is connected correctly with the cd drive as first boot option then i'm out of ideas where the problem may be, whatever it is tho you need to find and fix it otherwise you won't be able to re-install your windows os later if needed either.

i think to fix that boot error message you need to follow my earlier advice about setting the jumpers on your hard drives to cable select and connect the bigger hard drive as master and 6bg drive as slave.
here's a couple of links about jumper settings:- http://seagate.custk...f...&NewLang=en
http://freepctech.co...e_devices.shtml

Edited by terry1966, 09 October 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#42 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Yes lee he did do an excellent job with the tutorial. :) Thanks for your reply terry. The puppy disc works just fine in my new computer. And on the old comp the option is F2. I used that to set the boot option to cd rom first. I don't think the hard drives are on the same cable the cd drive is on because they are on the master/slave cable and the cd drive has it's own cable connected to the motherboard. I have already tried putting the 6gb as the slave and the 120gb (the problem drive) as the master. It gave a blue screen error and wouldn't even get as far as I got as when the 6gb was the master. The 6gb as the master is how I had to set it up when the drive had the problem and reversing it doesn't work for some reason. Terry, I'm going to try this again on my old comp, but if it doesn't work I do recall you saying that I could do a photorec on my new comp with the drive in the enclosure. Terry I don't have another drive, but I do have free space on my external drive. Could you tell me please if this doesn't work in my old comp, could I create a partition on my external drive and do the photorec to that partition? Please tell me this will work, because I'm getting the feeling that the old comp may not be an option based on it's current behavior. Thanks.

#43 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

no do not create any partitions to your old drive, or use it for any reason whatever except to search with photorec, you may overwrite some data your trying to find otherwise. yes you can connect the old drive to your new pc and search it. you will just save any found files to a folder on your new pc's hard drive; you can specify where in photorec. i'd also suggest running the windows photorec, that way you won't need puppy at all. from my understanding the instructions on photorecs use are more or less the same in both the linux and windows versions. if your pc blue screens with the old drive as master and the 6gb drive as slave then i'd take that as a good sign and probably means windows was trying to load, and would try a repair install with your windows disc but that's for later after you've found your lost files. this not booting from your cd tho has me puzzled, from everything you've said you have no hardware problems, just messed up hard drives, mbr's, os. if you put your windows disc in and re-boot the old pc does it give you the option to press any key to boot from the cd? if so i'd think for some reason your cd won't read the puppy disc and skips it then tries to load from your hard drives. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 09 October 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#44 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

Uh oh terry I think the old comp is out of the question. I checked the setup and it's not even properly reading the hard drives. It's not reading the 120 gb at all and I'm not sure it's even reading the 6gb properly. It still won't boot from the cd either. Terry could you please tell me how to do a photorec on my new comp and how to partition my external so that I can copy to that drive please? I am sorry to trouble you, but my old comp isn't working right at all.

#45 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

you can NOT search and save to your old drive, period. SO don't even think about partitioning it!! yes you can search and save to a single hard drive BUT only if it was already partitioned, which yours was not, and only if the files you're searching for were on a separate partition from where you're saving them too, again yours were not. you can safely save them to your new pc's hard drive(depending on it's size) tho if you want to, how big a hard drive does it have? to search your old hard drive connected to your new pc, first, install windows version of photorec(with the external hard drive disconnected) and run it. take note of the hard drives it see's then exit out of it. now connect the external hard drive and run photo rec again, now you should see an extra hard drive, this is your old hard drive and the one your going to search. you'd then save the files to your new pc on the windows c drive in any folder you like. :popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 09 October 2011 - 05:54 PM.