Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

check pc security

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think it was WTT who recommended a test to see if my ports etc were secure but I can't remember the name. I ask because I right clicked my router in the control panel and under services it showed that Skype and teredo are ones that internet users have access to. I do not know if this is what Skype and Norton open by default but would like to check my security before Iremove the programs to see if the checks are gone. It was a pretty thorogh testing site but the name escapes me.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi Peter,
maybe it was "shields Up" by Steve Gibson....?
Here's the link
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Remember though that if you remove access for example to Skype then you will not be able Skype people....
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Hi Peter,
maybe it was "shields Up" by Steve Gibson....?
Here's the link
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

Remember though that if you remove access for example to Skype then you will not be able Skype people....
Regards
paws

>>I found out through Belkin tech that the checks enable both Norton and Skype to function with my pc.
ShieldsUp is it and thank you again.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

:thumbup:
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:28 AM

:thumbup:

>>Paws
I do not use the internet for money but about a year ago asked where to send donations and was given an address which is the one you gave me.
I received the envelope and chech back unopened about 10 days later. If you can find all of my posts you will see the discussion and I asked why the check was returned.
Be glad to chip in again..

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi Peter, Was this the address that I gave you....? Mailing address: WhatTheTech.com PO Box 102 Fargo, ND 58107 If it was, then I'll ask Doug if he knows what went on.... Doug knows everything!.... :clap:

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hi Peter, Was this the address that I gave you....?
Mailing address:
WhatTheTech.com
PO Box 102
Fargo, ND 58107

If it was, then I'll ask Doug if he knows what went on....
Doug knows everything!.... :clap:

>>He sure does!! :wavey:

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

can the clarify something for me peter, your post confused me a little because skype doesn't need any open any ports on my router to work, so was wondering if it was windows firewall you meant and not the router?? your router shouldn't have any open ports(unless you've opened some for gaming, ftp servers etc) and if you have a good router they should all show as stealthed too with that test paws linked to. :popcorn:

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Be glad to help Terri. My explanations cause more problems than not but I'll try. I forgot who it was, Belkin I think, said the checks for Teredo and Syype are as they should be. Perhaps it is Norton who changes them by default. I know Norton changes a lot of things when installed. If I look at security, for example, it looks like Windows firewalls are open but the real firewalls aren't. Norton really takes over but it has kept me safe and does not slow me down so I stick with it. I have made no changes in the router - I set it up WPA-PTSK etc with two good pass phrases. It has AES . WHoa! I am glad you wrote. I had reason yesterday to close Skype and see the attachment for the box where there used to be 2 Skypes, incoming and outgoing, both checked. No Sykpe no boxes checked. Teredo remains. I was reading about teredo tunneleing and i think it isnew to Vista and Win 7 and there is a lot of controversy about it. It has to do with ipv4 and 6 or something like that.

#10 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

no idea exactly how it works peter but i tell you now i wouldn't have it ticked, if you find you have problems later connecting to an ipv6 web address then try ticking it, but for now i'd definitely untick it. :popcorn:

#11 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi Peter, Was this the address that I gave you....?
Mailing address:
WhatTheTech.com
PO Box 102
Fargo, ND 58107

Hi Peter and Paws,

As it turns out, that Post Office Box address is no longer in service.
It may be renewed/replaced in the future... or not.
With so many folks using PayPal these days, the poor ole' US Postal Service is not seeing as much action.

Peter, if that presents an obstacle for your intention to make a donation, I'm sorry.
A good alternative may be to "pay it forward" as conceptualized in the feature movie back in Oct. 2000, by the same name and featuring Kevin Spacey, Haley Osment, and Helen Hunt.

As much as you may appreciate the good deeds offered to you here at WTT, we would be delighted if you passed along the favor to others when you have an opportunity to assist. Share the joy! :thumbup:
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hi Doug Nothing but praise and referrals comes from me when I bump into someone who needs help with the rpc. Thank you for the information and I wil work somehting out. Everything is good. Regards, Peter

#13 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:30 PM

no idea exactly how it works peter but i tell you now i wouldn't have it ticked, if you find you have problems later connecting to an ipv6 web address then try ticking it, but for now i'd definitely untick it.

:popcorn:

I have a feeling the person who worked on my pc to get the printer to be wireless created that.
So I should untick it and see if I have any problems and if so, just tic it again.I hope it doesn't vanish.

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

Terri I am going to copy/paste some coments from my Norton forum. From what I am reading this teredo is like the days when we ran out of area codes and some had one and some another to handle the overfollow. [Re: Teredo Tunnelling pseudo-interface IPv4 is the present method of internet connection using the typical IP address that you are accustomed to seeing. There is an increasing shortage of available numbers for addresses. Eventually we will all be going to IPv6 which will increase the number and letter combinations for available addresses. While software and router developers and manufacturers are gearing up to handle the new system, Teredo Tunnelling pseudo-interface is part of the IPv6 network interface; it tunnels IPV6 traffic over an IPV4 network. That message in the history report is quite normal.] I do not know what the heck they are talking about but thought you might consider it interesting reading.

Edited by Peter1, 15 September 2011 - 04:01 PM.