Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome to What the Tech Forums - Register now for FREE

We're your place for tech questions. Join 87596 others, and join the conversation. Ask questions. Find answers. Share your ideas and opinions. Browse our community. You'll find experts who enjoy helping others. Who explain technical issues in a non-technical way that anyone can understand. Create an account today (it's 100% free)!

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

Acronis TI 2010 Home

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

I can locate a file I want to restore but when I do, all I can do is right click and copy to paste later. Why doesn't the "OK" turn black in order to restore the file? I have tried the wizard, Windows and file search. All locate the file but the problem I stated above exists for all.Am I expecting too muchor doing something wgong re: file recovery? My back ups are full sytsem backups.

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Are you using the bootable rescue CD/DVD created by Acronis True Image 2010? I have had instances where attempting to use the 2009 bootable rescue CD/DVD to restore an image file created in TI 2010, did not proceed. When I created and used a rescue CD/DVD using the TI 2010 version, the same saved image was correctly restored.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Are you using the bootable rescue CD/DVD created by Acronis True Image 2010?
I have had instances where attempting to use the 2009 bootable rescue CD/DVD to restore an image file created in TI 2010, did not proceed.
When I created and used a rescue CD/DVD using the TI 2010 version, the same saved image was correctly restored.

When recovering a system backp I usually use the cd created by 2010. Everything I use is 2010.
In this instance, I am going to Compouter + peeling the onion back.
I also am opening Acronis and searching.
Up top,in Acronis, the partition manager opens a Wizard which locates the file too.
It is frustrating because;
1-I thought there was a button to push for "recovery"
2-when I drop the file into the box, the 'next' or 'ok' is a ghost just waiting for me to click on something to bring it to life and move to the next step, but it doesn't.
The program seems to work well besides that so am hesitant to blame it rather than me and reinstall.
Oh well, maybe this will sound familiar to someone - lets's hope, and thank you.

#4 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

I've never proceeded by way of your described steps, but will give it a test drive when opportunity allows. It seems to me, that it is a matter of "where you are" when attempting a restore. From what you describe, it sounds like you are "inside of windows", probably looking in C:\Program Files\Acronis. If so, you would not be able to activate a "restore" because you are operating from within the system that you seek to replace. Instead.... When booting your machine, an early option is: Acronis Recovery Center is loading: Press any key to enter Acronis Recovery Center <-- paraphrase, sorry If you then press "any key" the normal boot sequence is interupted and you can work with Acronis Recovery Center (outside of Windows) or If you boot with Acronis Emergency Rescue CD/DVD in an optical drive, you will again get the option to "press any key" and work with Acronis "outside of Windows" ______________________ You can probably copy/past a data file, when using Acronis from inside Windows, but I doubt you can initiate a drive-image Restore. Am I addressing the topic you were interested in?

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:11 PM

I hope I have not mislead you and can follow your advice so I can fix what I am doing wrong. I am not understanding inside and outside of windows. To do a system recovery, I set boot order to dvd and use the disc. I believe this is working outside of Windows and inside Acronis. Someone once told me I could recover from the Acronis program itself and/or by going to Computer and double clicking each backup until I find the file. Is this working inside of Windows in each case - I think so. What I do not get is when you say to work outside of Windows by tapping a key without using the disc. "If you then press "any key" the normal boot sequence is interrupted and you can work with Acronis Recovery Center (outside of Windows)" Won't Windows appear? I am editing b/c I tried tapping a key and saw Windows 7 with an advanced choiuce. i tried advanced and got the same screen i would have with F12. Repair etc. i did not see and option nere to work outside of windows and access Acronis!!!!! Is this my problem? Should I be using the disc strictly or not? I watched a tutorial and person used the Acronis program and up top at partitons and folders he clicked and a wizard opened. When I tried that, I located the filebut there was no recovery option. I guess the bottom line regarding file recovery is, must you use the disc or not? It seems there is more than one way. I think I can do it with the disc but am seriously interested in not using the disc in case it failed. it is good to have another option. Hope this helped to clarify and not muddle.

Edited by Peter1, 11 September 2011 - 01:28 PM.