Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browsers keep crashing (Firefox & Internet Explorer)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:20 AM

Just a couple days ago my Firefox browser started crashing. I don't remember doing any updates or anything. I've never had a problem with Firefox before, its been great. It just started happening out of the blue. I ran my virus scan and it was clean, I ran Spybot search and destroy and it was clean. I tried running Malawarebytes but it won't open. I click on it and it just sits there. So, Firefox crashes. I start it again or restore the tabs. Its ok for a few minutes then it crashes again. It must have crashed over 20 times yesterday. Then I switched to Internet Explorer and it started doing the same thing. I am running a newer version of F-Secure Computer Security/Virus Protection and there is a health check type thing in there that tells you when there are updates for programs you have. I ran that and it said there was an update for Java, Shockwave and or Flash so I went ahead and updated those. It said there was an updated version of Firefox so I went and upgraded that, thinking that would fix the problem but it didn't. My computer does seem to be running a little slower at times but I haven't been getting any pop ups or anything like that. I'm not sure what's going on. Just a little bit ago I went to run another virus scan (F-Secure) - I opened the Computer security and entered the scan I wanted to run but it just sat there(it doesn't run the scan). I tried running the other scans and it just sat there for those too. I'm really not sure what's going on. I had just written in here a couple weeks ago because something came up on a scan but then a day or so later it was gone, it just disappeared(it didn't show up on any more scans). The scan's I've ran have came out clean so I don't think I have a virus or anything, that's why I posted here but if this is in the wrong place, I'm really sorry. Please help!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

Hi candi7, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer. In order to get a"feel" for the problems you have been experiencing I have taken a look at the logs the malware removal experts had you run over in the virus and malware removal forum. It seems to me that you have suffered a number of problems that are of a long standing nature, including the inability to get some applications to run at all...which have never been satisfactorily resolved.....this leads me to suppose that there might be serious problems with the computer that might not be treatable with a "quick set of fixes" For this reason I am going to prescribe some procedures/remedies that should shed some light on the problems, but before we start on that I would like you to check please that your backup/copy/archive of everything that is important to you on your machine is 100% up to date, accurate, comprehensive, reproducible and with an extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media. This will ensure that should your machine no longer boot up one morning you have a copy of all your important stuff.... There is nothing so far to indicate that your hard drive has faults, but hard drives fail, some fail sooner... others later..... but eventually all are likely to fail and this renders all your stuff unaccessible...... it's a horrid thought but one that we must take into account when dealing with long standing problems..... So check your back up now and even if its only a day or so out of date then take the opportunity to bring it up to date immediately, take an extra copy and don't forget to check that it's accurate, reproducible and safely kept on removable media offsite, (External USB hard drives are excellent for this) When you have completed this and are happy that everything is safe.(photos, music, videos, documents, spreadsheets, usernames, passwords, Favorites, Address books, emails (everything in fact on your machine that you would miss if you lost it,)you can relax a bit, but not before you have completed the next step. Then make sure that you have all your application installation discs and or the downloaded executable files, including Windows XP installation discs, driver discs and any manufacturers restore discs.... collected together and kept in a safe place...you will of course need the serial numbers (Product keys) for all your your applications including Windows itself. (25 character alphanumeric in 5 groups of 5) Post back when you have completed all this and we can get started. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

Ok, thanks. I'm in the process of backing everything up now. I've run into a little problem though. I used the macrium reflect to back up my hard drive(which went good). I don't have a whole lot of things on my computer that I really really need. However I do have some pictures and a few documents that I need and I believe those should have been saved on disc when I did the macrium reflect back up. I thought I'd try putting my pictures and those few documents onto a disc itself to make those easier to access but I keep getting an error message and I'm not sure what to do. Some how I was able to put some pictures onto a dvd back in January but I've added some pictures to my computer since then and wanted to add the new pictures to the dvd disc I put the other one's on back in january. When I try copying those pictures and pasting them into the dvd folder I get an error that says " Windows does not support this cd-rw format. To use this disc, choose the task "Erase this cd-rw", which will format the disc so that Windows can use it." But when I choose the task "Erase this cd-rw" it erases everything on it (or so it looks) but then everything I had on there reappears about 20 seconds later and it still won't let me add the other pictures. Do you happen to have any idea how I can add the new pictures yo that disc or what would be easier, is to erase the disc and add all my pictures at once? Its calling the dvd disc I put in a cd-rw but its really a dvd disc. Ive also tried selecting all my pictures and copying them to the dvd disc but I get that same error message. Normally whenever I want to move or copy something to a disc or jump/flash drive all I have to do is select/highlight what I want, copy it and then paste it in the dvd or jump/flash drive box and it transfers/copy's it to there but its not letting me do that now. I don't know if its not letting me do that because my computer is messed up now or if its for some other reason. Thanks!!!

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

Hi candi7, Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with saving stuff to DVD Just for the moment it might be best to forget the DVD and use a memory stick (sometimes called a Flash drive or Jump drive) to copy off your important pictures, documents etc. Here's how: 1 Insert Memory stick into computer's USB port 2 After a minute or so you will either get a message( in the bottom right corner of your screen) that the drivers have been installed and your device is ready for use..... or nothing at all will happen (or seem to happen) 3 Go to Start >My Computer and you should see your memory stick there.... 4 Click on it to open and then note the name of the drive (usually indicated in top left hand corner... it may be something like Drive E or may give the name of the memory stick) 5 You can now leave it alone (don't close it!).... go straight to "My Pictures" from "Start" 6 Find your important pictures, right click on either a folder or a file and select from the dropdown menu "Copy" (if you want to select multiple folders or files then hold down the Ctrl key whilst you are selecting the files to copy...( they should all be highlighted) NOTE the Ctrl key is usually at the bottom left corner of your computer's keyboard. When all the stuff you want to copy is highlighted then Right click on any highlighted file/folder and Click on"Copy" Dont worry that when you click on "Copy" nothings seems to happen..... it will all happen behind the scenes.... 7 You have now finished with your "My Pictures" folder for the time being so you can either close it or minimalise it 8 You should now be back at your Memory stick.....Drive E or whatever your computer has called it 9 Right click on a bit of empty white space on your memory stick near the middle of the window and click on "Paste", and all your stuff that you highlighted and copied in step 6 should appear.... Finally make sure that they all work OK try opening a few (from the Memory stick) to see that all is well. Post back when you have completed all this Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:10 PM

Thank you! Sorry its taken me a couple days here. I've been trying to get out to get some flash drives. I have a couple but they're pretty much full and I wanted one just for my pictures and important documents(so I can get to them quicker). I just got a flash drive today, so I will go ahead and put my pictures on the drive and do another Macrium Back up and let you know when I'm finished. Thanks again!

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:05 AM

Hi candi7, Ok no worries just post when you can... One point that needs checking on..... its great that you have made a disc image using Macrium.... and if you have done it right then it will include all your docs and photos etc...everything...... however an important thing is: where are you storing the disc images you are making? I hope its not on your computer's main hard drive..... ideally you should have at least one extra copy of your disc images kept safely offsite on removable media (an external USB hard drive is excellent for this) Regards paws

#7 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:47 AM

Well, for now I'm storing the back up on dvd's until I can get some more flash drives. Which is why I was saying that the back ups are going on to disc fine but I couldn't put my pictures on a dvd. I don't know, I never really understood those disc's any way. I think the flash drives are much easier to work with. I want to put my pictures on a (disc) or well flash drive because I starting to get a lot of them. I fix them up, too and I'm not sure if that makes them take up more room but I figured I'd put them on a flash drive .... so they are safe, so they don't take up a lot of room on my computer and so I can take them with me. I don't have a whole lot of real important things on my computer. Just a few documents and some pictures. But, I do have the original pictures, too. Most of them any way. I don't use this computer for my main work. Just some side stuff. So, if I did loose everything, ya I would be a little upset but it wouldn't be the end of the world. Most things are replaceable. It would be a pain to have to get everything again but I guess if it had to be done I could do it, it would just take a lot of time. Plus, I just remembered, I stored most of those pictures on an online site. I just need to update them and add new ones. On a completely different note. I was looking around on my computer and when I go into my control panel and click on system, the system properties opens and under the General tab, down towards the bottom it says ...... Computer - Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ 2.99 GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM. Does this mean I only have 1GB of ram? I'm thinking this can't be correct or my computer probably wouldn't even be running. I bought this computer used a little over a year or so ago. When I bought it the guy told me that there is almost 500 GB hard drive and its partitioned. I'm not sure exactly what that means but what I got was that its divided up and I'm pretty sure I don't have even the first part filled up yet. I think he said that once the one part filled up it should go directly to the other part. But, I think the RAM and the Hard drive space are two different things, aren't they? I really don't know anything about computers. I know how to use them to go on the internet, type documents, play games and those sort of things but when it comes to the technical side, I don't have a clue. Thanks so much for all your help.

Edited by candi7, 05 September 2011 - 02:53 AM.

#8 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi candi7,
Yep, RAM ( Random Access Memory) is totoally different from hard drive disc space.....
If you have 1GB of RAM thats fine to run with using XP for routine and non demanding applications..... so no need to worry about that being too small to run XP effectively.

To check your hard drive space try this:
1 Click on start
2 Click on My Computer
3 Highlight your C drive (right click on it) it may be called something like Local disc C
4 Click on Properties
You will see a nice "pie chart" that will tell you the size of your C drive and show you how much you have used and how much you have left.....
If the previous owner said he partitioned it then do the same for each other drive that is shown.....

On the DVD problem..... Windows XP does not provide native support for writing to DVD discs......it does provide support for writing to CD...... but if you want to write to DVD then you will need a Writer application like for example Nero or Sonic etc. However your computer should be able to read DVD's even though it may not be able to write to them.... Your back up program may well include a writer application in its software and this is maybe why you can write to DVD but only for backups.....

An external USB drive is a fine thing to have they are cheap very useful and have a larger capacity than Flash drives (Memory Sticks) here's an example:
http://www.ebuyer.co...lack-hx-mu016da
that one is a 160GB that maybe is enough for you..... but an extra £5 or so will get you a 320GB version...in some parts of the world they may be cheaper!
It sure beats paying £5 to £10 for a 4GB Memory stick.
Regards
paws

#9 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Ok, sorry it took me a couple days, I was trying to see if I could get some more of those flash/jump drives but they are kind of expensive around here(in stores). I seen some online but they would take probably about a week or so for me to get them. I did get 1 flash drive and I was able to get my pictures and documents saved on it.(Thank you for the instructions) I did the Macruim Reflect back up and put that on the dvd's, for now, till I get some more flash drives. However, when I look back in Macrium on this last back up I did it says something under Starting Image - (the date & time) then it says -

Initializing
Analyzing file system on volume G:
Failed To Create Volume Snapshot for drive G. Result Code: 0x8004230f
Using pssnap.sys Instead

It seemed like it put everything on to the dvd's. I have 4-5 dvd's the backup went onto ..... it would stop when one was filled and ask me to insert another and then click OK. Then it would fill up another... and so on....

My hard drive is G: not C: like most computers. I'm not sure why its like that. Like I said before, I bought the computer used and it was that way when I bought it. I'm not sure if its because the hard drive(s) are partitioned???

I was going to try the back up again just to be sure or see if it says that(above) again. It doesn't take to long to do and since I did the last back up about 4-5 days ago, and you said it should be as up to date as possible, and since it said something (as above) - "Failed To Create Volume Snapshot for drive G, I figured I'd go ahead and do it again. I have a couple things to do real quick, then I will do the back up and I will let you know/post here as soon as I am finished with the back up.

Oh, one more thing, I'm helping to test a newer version of Computer Security software. I post how its working every night and/or any opinions I have on it. I said something that my browsers had been crashing and they sent me an email asking me to get a "crash dump log" or something like that. I thought they said it was called Dr. Watson or something like that but I looked around on my computer (and did a search) but I couldn't find anything like that. They said if I could find the crash dump it would say why the browsers keep crashing. They said if I get someone technical to help me to ask about the crash dump, so I thought I'd say something.

And (sorry) one more thing real quick. The past 4-5 days my Outlook email has had to close a few times each day now. And I noticed the past week or two when I would go to shut down or restart my computer it would seem to get hung up, a box would come up saying something like a certain program isn't ending and I'd wait to see if it would end it and if not then I'd have to click "End now" before the computer would shut down or restart - at the top of that (End Now) box it say DLL - Hoster - I guess the name of the program or whatever that wasn't ending ......... :smack:

Ok, that should be it for now, I will post back soon.

Thanks again!

#10 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

p.s. For the hard drive - I followed your directions and in properties for the G: hard drive it shows the picture of the pie and its only about a quarter of the way filled, and it says 23.7 used space and 80.2 Free space, so I should be good. Now, do you happen to know if that's for the whole partitioned drive(both partitions) or is it for one partition part? If that makes any sense to you(sorry), not sure how else to say it. Thank you again!!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

If the previous owner said he partitioned it then do the same for each other drive that is shown.....

sorry to bother you again but I just remembered about checking the space on my hard drive.

In "My Computer"
I only see the G: drive, then there is a removable C: drive(there's nothing in that, the whole pie is blue) and the D: DVD/CD drive. I'm thinking that maybe the G: drive was split into 2 sections/parts but I'm not sure how to get to the second part/section to see it. Then there are 2 folders, Shared Documents(music, pictures & videos) and Administrator Documents.
When I got the computer from some guy, I remember him saying that once the first section/partition filled up it would automatically go to the other partition/section, that I wouldn't have to do anything. I dunno........ I think I got a goofy computer..... lol!!!

Thanks once again!!!!

#12 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:38 AM

Ok, I just finished with the back up. It did say the same thing as before .....

Initializing
Analyzing file system on volume G:
Failed To Create Volume Snapshot for drive G. Result Code: 0x8004230f
Using pssnap.sys Instead

but I didn't see the part or the next line....( Using pssnap.sys Instead ). Everything/the backup seemed to go good. It said everything was complete at the end so I'm thinking everything should be alright/backed up. So, I should finally be good to go now.

Thanks!

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hi candi7
OK, as long as you are sure you have copied off everything important to you that is on your machine to removable media Memory sticks, external usb hard drive etc we are ready to go..... However you are using Macrium to make a disc image and that is good but do remember that Macrium will faithfully reproduce everything that is on your computer at the time the disc image is made.....

It means that as well as the good stuff..... if there are any bad things viruses, malicious code, corrupted or damaged files, important system files in the wrong place etc., it will, if you reimage reproduce both the good and the bad.....

That's why it important to have a disc image ( saved to removable media) made when your machine is running fast and sweet with no damaged or missing files free of malware or other undesirable elements, with your anti virus anti spyware, and firewall protections installed, all unnecessary junk files, temp files etc deleted, and all important/critical Windows updates installed and working well. You should also have followed the instructions to make a bootable CD that ywill allow you to access your removable media should Windows be unable to start.

I place so much importance on the back up issue as your machine is a "preowned" one with a non conventional set up...... it may have been set up deliberately in this way by a knowledgable person for a special reason...... or maybe it happened as a result of a series of mistakes! It also has a number of faults on it and whilst it is often possible to repair some faults manually, and help solve some of the problems....other times the most cost effective and timely method of repair is to remove the existing partitions, format the hard drive and reinstall Windows and all your applications.

For this you will need all the original Windows discs (or restore partition/discs) and your application installation discs (or downloaded executable files) together with the product/seria/keys concerned. Dont forget the WinXP installation disc and the 25 character alpha-numeric serial key (5 groups of 5) its easy to forget to copy down your passwords, usernames, address books, Favorites/Bookmarks your emails, Sent folder Inbox etc etc...dont miss anything out that might be important to you!

Once you have done all this and have a box with all your discs, your memory sticks/external hard drives, Bootable CD etc kept handy and with a written note of the other stuff you need we can relax a bit!

First we will try and check your hard drive for errors, so I suggest you do this

1 Click on Start
2 Click on Run
3 Type in the white box
chkdsk g: /r
Click on OK
Note this is a space between the "k" and the "g" and another space between the colon and the forward slash...they need to be there.
You should see a black window with something like the following:

The type of the file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

4 Press the Y key on your keyboard then press the Enter key, once

5 Now you can close down your computer in the usual way, wait 30 seconds with a blank black sceen and then restart it

6 Before Windows starts to load a disc check will commence...just leave it be, it can take an hour or two to run, DONT INTERRUPT it (or turn off your computer whilst its running.....that's mighty important )
When chkdsk has completed it will reboot your machine and you should be back at your desk top
Post back and let us know that you have completed this Ok and we will advise the next step for you to follow.
Regards
paws

#14 candi7

candi7

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

Hi paws, So, do you think the Marcium Back up I just did will be alright to use then, if need be? I did have a good back up when my computer was running good(but it was a couple months ago when I did the last back up), it was on the disc's I just used to do this last back up. I've been using the same disc's and just putting the new back up on over the old.(I believe thats what Macrium did on the disc's). Or is there something else I should do/use? It doesn't really make sense to have a back up copy if it has a virus(es), does it? Also, when I did the very first back up using Macrium, it asked me if I wanted to create a boot up disk and I followed the directions so I hope what I have is good. I have that disc with my back up disc's(dvd's) that says, Windows XP boot disc. And, I don't have the original Windows XP disc, I didn't get one since I bought the computer used but there is a sticker on the top of the computer with the original product key. However, I do have a copy of Windows XP but I believe it only has SP2 and I think I had to have someone get me the drivers. My computer crashed a while ago and started fresh, I used that Windows XP disc and it worked but like I said I didn't have the drivers or something like that, I know I needed something like that. Thanks for mentioning about writing down all my passwords and such. I didn't even think of that. I was thinking the online things were pretty much a separate thing and that my passwords and that were stored online but I guess that's not the case. I will have to go through my things and try to get/remember my passwords and write them down. I do have some of the more important passwords written down, I'll just have to try and get the others. Ooooh! ..... and remember I told you I was testing a newer version of a computer security software, well, when I wrote in the other night for my daily/nightly report(I have to write a report about how the program is running every night) someone wrote back(because I've been saying my browsers have been crashing) and they suggested to uninstall the online portion of the computer security to see if that might help. I haven't done that yet but what I did try was to turn off the online browsing protection and web page filtering(I did that this morning) and so far(its now later evening) my browser hasn't crashed once. So, I'm wondering if maybe the computer security - online security is affecting the browsers in some way or doing something. Just thought I should let you know. Thanks!

#15 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:32 AM

Hicandi7

It doesn't really make sense to have a back up copy if it has a virus(es), does it?

Nope!
You can check the file dates on your DVd's, this should tell you when they were created.... try and find the back up files that you created with Macrium when your machine was running fast and sweet...and hang on to them!

Well done on making the bootable CD...... :thumbup:

As long as you have a Windows XP installation disc that matches the COA (certificate of Authenticity an adhesive sticker issues by Microsoft and bearing the 5 group of 5 alphanumeric serial code you should be OK...... but make sure that if your version of Windows is the Home Edition that you have the Windows XP installation disc for Home Edition...there is another edition called Professional" and the 2 are not interchangable..... If you have the Windows XP installation disc with Service Pack 2 on it should the worst come to the worst you could use this to reinstall Windows and then I can provide alink so you can download Service Pack3 and all the other updates..

Its sounds as though removing the security product that you are testing has done the trick..... but don't run without any protection....
Its Ok to provide the security firm with feedback but if it makes your machine crash then..... maybe you are better off without it....
Make sure you only have one antivirus product running resident in memory ..if you have two then they may fight and cause all sorts of problems....

Some words of warning..... any form of Beta testing or installation of software that has not been cleared by the developers for release to the general public should as a rule of thumb, only be used on a test machine or one where you are ready, willing and able to format and reinstall if necessary.... these "early stage products" and their testing can be a potentially risky procedure..... they should not, generally be used on a computer that is your sole method of getting online, or if its your only computer or one that is handling important or "mission critical stuff"

Microsoft Security Essentials is a good reliable antivirus product, that once installed will update itself automatically and run in the background giving you a good degree of protection..... its also free.....
available here:
http://www.microsoft...ls/default.aspx

Dont even try and install this until you have :

1 made a System Restore Point
2 Uninstalled all other "resident in memory" antivirus products
3 restarted your computer after the uninstall..... note it must be an "uninstall" don't just start deleting stuff!
Good luck
Regards
paws