Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Flash drives set to read-only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 busdriver12

busdriver12

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:08 AM

Greetings,

Yesterday I installed some updates to XP and not soon afterwards my flash drives (when plugged in) have somehow been set to read-only. As these drives are used primarily for backup, I have now lost my main back up source. I've looked at drive properties in various places including:

Start|Administrative Tools|Computer Management|Disk Management

but cannot find where I can reset my flash drives status. When sometimes when I access the drive directly with a file manager (in my case I use Total Commander) I am presented with the following dialog:

Posted Image

Although it infers a HDD problem there are no issues with the Hard Disk. I have a feeling I may need to roll back one or more of the recent updates, but if there is an easier way to reset this I'd appreciate knowing how to. My immediate instinct was to go back to the previous restore point but I'll wait and see if there's a simpler way.

Please note - there are no physical switches on the flash drive(s) to change them to read only, so this is being done by the OS somehow.

TIA for any help

PS I have gone back to a previous system restore point before this started happening and it has not solved the problem.

Edited by busdriver12, 12 August 2011 - 05:09 AM.

Phil

Sit down, shut up and hang on!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rshaffer61

rshaffer61

Advanced Member

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:22 AM

By using 2 different Tech support sites you can run the risk of having conflicting advice given and that can lead to a system being made unusable or unstable. Your other topic is located HERE
If you would like help from the other site then please request from a Administrator or Moderator that this topic be closed. If you would like WTT to help then please ask for the other topic to be closed. Thank you
Auslogics Defrag | JkDefrag l TweakUIXP l WhoCrashed l Norton Removal Tool l Avast l Malwarebytes l SuperAntiSpyware l ATF (This program is for XP, Vista and Windows 2000 only) l FireFox l How To Make FireFox Faster l Memtest86 l Setting Up Memtest86 l Burncdcc l Revo Uninstaller l HDClone l Unlocker l CpuZ l AutoRuns l JavaRa l HD Diagnostics l Erunt l Puppy Linux l Everest l Comodo Firewall l Avira l TFC l Speccy l

Please do not pm me with questions about your topic. Post your questions here so others may learn. If I do not respond to your thread for a long period then please pm me as real life may have kept me away.

rshaffer61

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

busdriver12

I encourage you to focus the discussion and solution discovery to one Thread to avoid conflicting recommendations.

It appears that you are receiving assistance and making some head-way, at least to rule-out possibilities at this time over at G2G.

Best Regards

Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 busdriver12

busdriver12

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. I've taken it on board and will return here if other avenues exhausted. As well as (hopefully) fixing the problem I'd like to be able to pin down the cause of it. I'm not a novice and want to learn as I go - I've picked up a lot of valuable information which I've archived away (I'm a backup freak!) and can usually solve most problems I come across. Because this involves my regular backup routine I hope you can understand my anxiety in getting this one sorted. Thanks again :)
Phil

Sit down, shut up and hang on!

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

I'm also a backup freak. Let's see: 1. Run a program called Mirror Folder that copies my critical data to another computer. 2. Run Carbonite to backup critical (same stuff) data offsite. 3. Use Acronis to do a daily backup to a 3rd 1.5TB internal hard drive. I keep 4 backup sets, each comprised of a full backup and 6 incremental backups. I use Chain2Gen to maintain the backup sets as Acronis does not have this feature. This gives me a minimum of 3 weeks + 1 day to 4 full weeks of backups. See you over at G2G :lol:

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown