Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Skype freezes in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hi Guys I use Skype a lot but since I upgraded to Windows 7 it freezes the whole machine on a call after between 5 and 20 minutes. I also use Skype on my HTC phone just for your info. Hope you can help Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi sibonakalo, welcome to WhatTheTech. By freeze, do you mean the mouse and keyboard are not responsive and you have to power the computer off to recover? Can you provide more information please? What did you upgrade from, Vista or XP? If Vista then did you do an actual upgrade or a Clean Install, formatting the hard drive and starting with a fresh Windows 7 install. If not, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Skype? If that doesn't help, is your copy of Windows 7 an upgrade or full retail copy? Have you allowed Windows 7 do do Automatic Updates so everything is at the latest levels?

Edited by Ztruker, 28 July 2011 - 10:24 AM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply The whole machine freezes and I have to reboot. It was a new machine that came with Windows 7 installed. I have reinstalled skype a few times with no effect and I do have automatic updates turned on.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Google search indicates this is a vary common problem, especially on Windows 7 X64.

One of the workarounds that seems to help is to use an older version of Skype. Download Skype 3.6.0.244 - FileHippo.com

Rich

#5 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:45 AM

Thanks Rich It happened while I was watching a YouTube video as well last night but only lasted a few seconds whereas when it happens with Skype there's no recovery and I have to reboot. This suggets that its not just restricted to Skype perhaps.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

No, I don't think that's true. A temporary pause while watching a video is very different from the computer locking up so you have to power off to recover. Try the older version of Skype, see what happens.

Rich

#7 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hi Rich Your suggestion to use a previous version of Skype seems to have worked. I had an hour long chat (no video) this morning without any interruptions. Thank you very much for your help with that. Do you have any suggestions about the interruptions to online video (YouTube) and it has happened a couple of times when I've played music from my hardrive through Windows Media Player. Thanks once again I appreciate your time very much

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Please post your system specifications to start with.

CPU speed, single, dual, quad core.
Amount of Ram.
Size of hard drive and how much free space there is.
Internet connection (wireless, ethernet cable).
Internet Service Provider.

Also, please Run the PCPitstop Full Tests, here: PCPitstop Full Tests

You must use Internet Explorer as it needs to install an ActiveX program.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users with UAC must first Right-click IE - Select "Run as Administrator"

If you haven't already registered, Click - Sign up now! (left hand column in User Login)

Register and create a password
Accept the ActiveX component to allow your machine to run the Full Tests
Registering and accepting the ActiveX are both SAFE and FREE.

The Full Tests take less than 5 minutes for most machines.

Once you have your Results, please post the URL (the http:// stuff) back here into this thread for review.

Note: Vista/Windows 7 users, please close your instance of IE "Running as Administrator" after you are finished reviewing your Results.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.

If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid product advertisements for utilities that "could" remedy the OP's problem.

Since this site is a "free-help" forum, we do not recommend or endorse purchase of automated utilities, and will assist you in manually correcting any problems and settings necessary to optimize your machine's performance. Ask your questions here. We'll help you walk through any necessary steps.

Rich

#9 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:06 AM

Hi Rich

PC data is:
CPU: AMD Athlon TF-20 1.6 GHz
Ram: 3.00Gb (2.75 useable)
Hard drive: 220 GB - 168 free
Connection: cable (wireless)
ISP: Virgin Media

Pitstop date: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24488001

Thanks

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

The PCPitStop report looks very good, except for wireless. It shows your upload speed is twice as fast as your download speed which is very unusual. Download is always faster than upload because ISPs cap upload speeds but not download speeds. On my previous XP Laptop, 1.8Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, 160GB HB, 110GB free, I got 6377 Kbits/sec down and 490 Kbits/sec up. Yours shows down 500 Kbits/sec and up 1078 Kbits/sec. Down is very bad and is the cause of the YouTube problems. Please open Device Manage and expand Network Adapters. What is the make and model of the wireless device. Also, is this a purchased computer (laptop?)? If so, what is the make and complete model number. We need to see if there is a later/better driver for the wireless device.

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hi Rich The wireless network adaptor an Atheros AR5B93 The machine is an Acer Aspire 5532 Thanks

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Nothing on the Acer site but I found this: Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter - Driver Download

Scroll down to Windows 7 64-bit Driver: 5/24/2011 9.2.0.419

That is newer than anything on the Acer site. Download and install it, see if it makes a difference. Click on the ? next to the word Download

Driver Date Driver Version Driver Popularity Release Notes PC Pitstop Notes Help Download <=========

Rich

#13 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:40 PM

I followed your instructions and clicked on the ? but nothing happened. I got a small box in the bottom left hand corner of the screen saying Java script 0

#14 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:04 PM

Rats, looks like they don't actually have the driver or it would be listed under Downloads where it shows None.

Looks like it's available here: Free Driver Download for Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter 9.2.0.419

Click on Download at right of driver
Click on the Words Download Now under the folder icon middle of page.

Rich

#15 sibonakalo

sibonakalo

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Rich Its late in the UK here now so I'll get back to you when I've given it a run. Thanks for your help