Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Issues remain after removal of malwear - XP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

My XP-Pro system was infected with malwear, even after reasonable precautions were taken to prevent it. (The system was regularly scanned with the latest updates from Kaspersky.)

I understand the malwear has been removed, but some issues involving crashing of routine Windows functions remain. For example - - I tried to use Windows Explorer to routinely navigate to a folder where I accessed "My Computer." It stalled with the error message "My Computer (not responding)" I selected "end now." After a few minutes everything appeared to come back and I was able to get to the folder (to view a .pdf file). I can't say that this is a virus, but it appears something is not back the way it should be.

Here is a link to the Spybot S&D Forum where the previous work is detailed:

http://forums.spybot...ead.php?t=63282

The thread there is titled "Unable to resolve trojan virtumonde.sci "

So I need to resolve the remaining issues. The computer appears to run normally for a period of time but stalls repeatedly, as with the above example. Thank you

Technical: The system is an Intel DG45ID, originally built in late 2008. XP-Pro SP3 (as updated with MS updates)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

Hi Tom.
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

Corrupted window files can be a problem after malware removal. . The malware removal does not necessarily corrupt the files, the malware often does in the process of removal or before it is removed.

You may need to own, beg or borrow an original OS install disk.

Open the run Command and enter sfc.exe /scannow and hit enter, or sfc /scannow Don't forget the space before the dash.

Covering possible problems you may have with scannow if you do not have an OS disk.
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Or here for more explanation and possible problem fixes with scannow if you do not have an OS disk.
http://www.bleepingc...topic43051.html

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee, 29 July 2011 - 01:23 AM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:04 AM

My system is XP-Pro, SP3, with the latest updates. My official XP system disk, however, pre-dates SP2. Will this be a problem with the procedure you have suggested?

Thanks for the welcome to WTT. This is my first experience with it.

Hi Tom.
Welcome to WTT :thumbup:

Corrupted window files can be a problem after malware removal. . The malware removal does not necessarily corrupt the files, the malware often does in the process of removal or before it is removed.

You may need to own, beg or borrow an original OS install disk.

Open the run Command and enter sfc.exe /scannow and hit enter, or sfc /scannow Don't forget the space before the dash.

Covering possible problems you may have with scannow if you do not have an OS disk.
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Or here for more explanation and possible problem fixes with scannow if you do not have an OS disk.
http://www.bleepingc...topic43051.html

Cheers,
Lee

#4 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:39 AM

As you have updated to SP3, your original SP1 XP pro. is no issue. Please follow my previous instructions to run sfc /scannow, especially if you have an XP disk. Cheers, Lee

Edited by Lee, 31 July 2011 - 01:51 AM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#5 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:47 AM

As you have updated to SP3, your original SP1 XP pro. is no issue. Please follow my previous instructions to run sfc /scannow, especially if you have an XP disk.

Cheers,
Lee

I'm working on this and will have comments soon. Thank you

#6 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

As you have updated to SP3, your original SP1 XP pro. is no issue. Please follow my previous instructions to run sfc /scannow, especially if you have an XP disk.

Cheers,
Lee

I'm working on this and will have comments soon. Thank you

I inserted the original XP Pro CD, and ran sfc.exe /scannow

I monitored the activity with the Windows Task Manager / Performance. When it finished there was no report of any problem or issue. I then ran Windows update. There was nothing new there. So I understand that sfc.exe has done everything it can. I'll be watching for any problems (stalls, etc.) as I try to use Windows XP. Thanks.

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Pleased to have been able to help you :thumbup:

#8 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:45 AM

On using this for a few hours I find that MS Internet Explorer (7) has problems that were not seen before. I often have to enter data in an entry field on a web page, followed by a Return. There have been a number of instances of the next page shown is blank with "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." If I do the same with another browser, like Google Chrome, the next web page proceeds OK.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

Tom, you could try resetting Internet Explorer to it's default settings, see if that helps: How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#10 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

Tom, you could try resetting Internet Explorer to it's default settings, see if that helps: How to reset Internet Explorer settings

I completed this. The problem remains, where with MSIE some web pages go to a blank screen instead of the response screen I expected. I get the normal response when using another browser like Google Chrome.

There is a new problem with Windows Task Manager, where instead of displaying the usual window with control tabs at the top, there is a simple frame with no control tabs. There is also no X in the top right hand corner to exit. The display shows only the applications list. I have not seen this before and need instructions on where to begin to run this normally again. I did re-start the system a couple of times, with the same result.

(Note: In my case I prefer, and am using, MSIE 7, and Windows XP-Pro (SP3) )

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

Hi Tom, The Task Manager problem should be fairly easy to fix... The symptoms you describe indicate you are probably running Task Manager in "Small Footprint Mode" To change the mode try this: 1 double-click anywhere along the top or side borders ( the grey bits) then if you like: 2 pressing Ctrl+Tab allows you to cycle between the different view/tabs and when you have done 3 Alt+F4 closes it. Let us know if this does the trick for you Regards paws

Edited by paws, 16 August 2011 - 02:18 AM.
typo

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#12 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

Let us know if this does the trick for you
Regards
paws

Yes, that resolved the issue with Task Manager. (It appears the edge had been double clicked - - and I had not seen that function before.)

The problem with MSIE remains, where I get the error message instead of the next web page that appears when using other browsers

#13 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi Tom, Glad that did the trick with your Task Manager.... :thumbup:

The Internet Explorer issue might be a little more troublesome.....

Take a look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

see if this does the trick for you and let us know how things go
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#14 Tom Bl

Tom Bl

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Take a look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

see if this does the trick for you and let us know how things go
Regards
paws

The web site says
"For 32-bit Windows XP, visit the following Microsoft Download Center website: "
but there's nothing there to click on. I've not seen a MS web page like this before. Links on other web pages do work with my MSIE 7

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:08 PM

I see the same. Did you try the FixIt? If you did and it didn't help you can download IE7 here: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown