Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Getting a website online

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oh! Lonesome Me

Oh! Lonesome Me

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Hi, I already know programming and about databases, now I want to put a website online but don't know where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction? I have used XAMPP, and used school school servers.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Well.... to start... you need somewhere to host it. Do you have a host?
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 rograd

rograd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

well you need a domain name and you need to choose a host

#4 kalasch

kalasch

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

Domain name and host are some elements needed, that's true. But that's certainly not enough ! What is your future website for ? Which public ? What kind of content ? Merchandising or blogging ? Having the domain name and the host are the latests steps in you reflexion. There are plenty of platforms who help you to build your site without having to deal with HTML, CSS and so on. But to choose accordingly, you have to plan what you wanna have. For example, you won't choose the same tools and host if you plan to host some technical information blog or a school community website. For the first one, you would maybe not have to deal with dynamics site, but for the second one, if you want to have some members of the community work on your site, you'll have to choose a secured environment like a CMS (Joomla, wordpress, or tikiwiki - please take note there are plenty of tools and hosts...) So, first advice : your "business plan" !
Kalasch

#5 Computer Techie

Computer Techie

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Yes, that's right! You should start with, what kind of website you want to design? Who are the target audience? The basic website need HTML and CSS coding concepts. Do you aware of them too? Well, after all you decided all your dynamics, now you should book a domain name as well as hosting service. Then your website becomes live.