Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer freezes every 4 minutes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hello A bit of history for a similar problem. Few months ago I installed hamachi so I can play a game with a friend. When we were playing, every 5-10 minutes I'd receive a complete freeze of the game/computer and a weird noise coming up, lasting 2-3 seconds. I asked my friend, he didn't have such problems. When hamachi was turned off, I wasn't getting any freezes. I was searching around google/hamachi forums and noticed a few threads complaining about the same issue and blaming the newest versions of Hamachi. I stopped playing the game a month ago and never experienced the same problem until these last few days. Though the freeze now was more often but lasting only 1 second. I uninstalled hamachi completely but the freezing continued... it wasn't freezing always. Which got me into thinking that there must be some special circumstances involved. Now, when I received a freeze(13:20) I thought let's see if these freezes are happening at precise times. Next freeze was 13:24:45. Next freeze was 13:28:45. Next freeze was 13:32:45. So, it happens every 4 minutes. Next thing to do, checking what I have open. Mozilla with few tabs, one song from youtube(which helped me determing the freeze with the weird noise happening). Skype, Windows Live Messenger, uTorrent. Now something that might be connected. Over the last couple of months I noticed that whenever uTorrent was on and I was watching a movie, the movie would freeze/lag for less than a second at random times like 15, 20, 30 minutes, though it wasn't making that noise I experience during the freezes I was talking about in the 2nd paragraph. Back to the other story, I got another freeze 4 minutes later 13:36:45. Now I decided to exit utorrent, but I did it in 13:40:00(45 seconds before the freeze should happen). However the freeze occured again in 13:40:45. BUT, the scheduled(lol) freeze for 13:44:45 DID NOT happen. And the next one also, and the next also. The freezing stopped. Oh one more thing. While the freezes were occuring I had the task manager brought up and noticed that whenever a freeze occurs, the process(image name) System would come up with 10-25% CPU usage. When no freezes, the usage of that process/image is 0 or 1%. Any inputs?! Hardware specs. AMD Phenom II x4 965, motherboard: ECS A800GXM-A, ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR3, 1TB Samsung Eco Green [EDIT] Well it's kinda definitely something with uTorrent.. just turned it on and received a freeze 14:16:45 and one more in 14:20:45. What is uTorrent doing every 4 minutes?! Why I haven't noticed this same thing in the past?! I guess I should be heading to their forums.

Edited by uchkur, 04 June 2011 - 06:21 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

uTorrent is a P2P client/server program (sort of) that allows you to download stuff from other people but it also allows other people to download stuff from you. Unless you're very careful, it's also one of the primary sources of malware, after YouTube and FaceBook. Most likely uTorrent is uploading or downloading data or scanning your HD form stuff. My recommendation is to leave it installed but disable it from auto starting (Startup and Services tab of msconfig) and only start it when you want to download something. I install it when I absolutely must have torrent software for something then uninstall it as soon as I'm done with it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hi Ztruker,

yes I do know the dangerous of p2p file sharing software but I am extremely careful and haven't got infected for the past few years.
It's disabled from start up and I use it only when I need to download something.
Also does not matter if I'm downloading or not, nor the download/upload speed, freezes still happen.

I did some more research, and found THIS
What an incredible guy this Mark is.. he never ceases to amaze me.

"By doing the same troubleshooting Mark did(the author of that article) I came to the conclusion that WHENEVER a freezes occurs, nltdi.sys(NetLimiter's driver or something) comes up with a CPU usage often above 3%. But the freeze only happens when uTorrent is activated. The processxp application also says start address nltdi.sys+5076.

This is where my power stops and hopefully your knowledge rises. I hardly believe I can anything more to try and solve this. Do you think you can do something about this?
If you need any more info from my end, please let me know!

Best regards."

This is what I sent to netlimiter's mail for bugs.

[EDIT] Well, 90% confirmed.. after uninstalling netlimiter, uTorrent was on for 30 minutes and no freezing.

Edited by uchkur, 04 June 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

So Netlimiter is the bad guy? Why are you using it? Anything that runs real time has to use resources, but .... how long have you been using it? If for awhile, what else has changed for you? If it was working okay before but isn't now then there has to be something else involved I would think.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:13 AM

I'm using it for information on where my internet traffic goes. It's a really good application that tells u for each and specific process/application how much it spends internet traffic. I have recently updated it to their latest version. I think that's the problem. I'll try installing the older version later today.

#6 DrOnzzER

DrOnzzER

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hello

A bit of history for a similar problem. Few months ago I installed hamachi so I can play a game with a friend. When we were playing, every 5-10 minutes I'd receive a complete freeze of the game/computer and a weird noise coming up, lasting 2-3 seconds. I asked my friend, he didn't have such problems. When hamachi was turned off, I wasn't getting any freezes. I was searching around google/hamachi forums and noticed a few threads complaining about the same issue and blaming the newest versions of Hamachi.

I stopped playing the game a month ago and never experienced the same problem until these last few days. Though the freeze now was more often but lasting only 1 second. I uninstalled hamachi completely but the freezing continued... it wasn't freezing always. Which got me into thinking that there must be some special circumstances involved. Now, when I received a freeze(13:20) I thought let's see if these freezes are happening at precise times. Next freeze was 13:24:45. Next freeze was 13:28:45. Next freeze was 13:32:45. So, it happens every 4 minutes. Next thing to do, checking what I have open. Mozilla with few tabs, one song from youtube(which helped me determing the freeze with the weird noise happening). Skype, Windows Live Messenger, uTorrent.

Now something that might be connected. Over the last couple of months I noticed that whenever uTorrent was on and I was watching a movie, the movie would freeze/lag for less than a second at random times like 15, 20, 30 minutes, though it wasn't making that noise I experience during the freezes I was talking about in the 2nd paragraph.

Back to the other story, I got another freeze 4 minutes later 13:36:45. Now I decided to exit utorrent, but I did it in 13:40:00(45 seconds before the freeze should happen). However the freeze occured again in 13:40:45. BUT, the scheduled(lol) freeze for 13:44:45 DID NOT happen. And the next one also, and the next also. The freezing stopped.

Oh one more thing. While the freezes were occuring I had the task manager brought up and noticed that whenever a freeze occurs, the process(image name) System would come up with 10-25% CPU usage. When no freezes, the usage of that process/image is 0 or 1%.

Any inputs?!

Hardware specs. AMD Phenom II x4 965, motherboard: ECS A800GXM-A, ATI Radeon 5770 1GB DDR3, 1TB Samsung Eco Green

[EDIT] Well it's kinda definitely something with uTorrent.. just turned it on and received a freeze 14:16:45 and one more in 14:20:45. What is uTorrent doing every 4 minutes?! Why I haven't noticed this same thing in the past?! I guess I should be heading to their forums.

Thanx Man...I started thinking my Hard drive was having some problem..:)

#7 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

Thanx Man...I started thinking my Hard drive was having some problem..:)

what, you also have netlimiter and utorrent and your pc freezes? :)
Good to know we were able to help.

Edited by uchkur, 12 October 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#8 thankyouuchkur

thankyouuchkur

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I had to make the account here just so I could post one big

THANK YOU UCHKUR!!

I was going mad, just like DrOnzzER, but you made my life a lot easier :)

Also, you may be interested (if still using NetLimiter) to know that version 1.0 does not cause this problem.
NetLimiter versions 2, 3.. and I assume 4 when it comes out :)

Thanks a bunch! :)

#9 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

haha you are welcome guys, I'm really glad I helped you :) I don't use netlimiter anymore, my ISP gave me more monthly limit which I have never exceeded so I don't really care :)

Edited by uchkur, 03 November 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#10 wyskr

wyskr

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

I've got the same issue with my old config : M2NE-SLI ; 4Go DDR2 ; AMD 64 5200+ ; msi R5770 hawk . Freeze of 1 sec every 4 minutes. So I changed everything expect my graph card a year ago: ASROCK 890FX deluxe 5 ; 8Go DDR3 ; AMD FX-4100 ; and a SSD :). Since then no more freezing until a few weeks, and I started to wonder if the problem could come from my grapique card. Thanks to you I realised that I've reinstalled "netlimiter 3" a few weeks ago, I'll try to remove it and I'll get back to you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 wyskr

wyskr

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

The freezing was definitly cause by net limiter 3 ! tks a lot

#12 DarkTAO

DarkTAO

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Seriously.. Thank you! I've struggled with these phantom freeze ups for ages. I've literally tested everything but a new motherboard and CPU while having no luck.

I've had these random 1-2 second freeze ups for months. Around last June, it started becoming a bit longer. Now the freeze ups are at 3-5 seconds and increasing. I accidentally disabled net limiter on startup, and had also disabled the service. I just realized earlier today that I hadn't experienced a single hangup, pause, freeze, what have you.

So I had to re-enable it all.

4-5 minutes from a fresh boot, pause #1 starts again.

This has literally taken days of my life in the amount of time I've searched, tested, etc to no avail.. At this point I was worried I had some serious hardware damage. I reinstalled many times, and never really noticed that the issues persisted any differently as I always had NL3 installed due to my ISP's horrible lack of 21st Century Bandwidth.
This problem literally stopped me from playing online, and has caused havok with the TDR stuff with my video card. Like I said, I seriously think there's been damage because of this. I paid for this stupid program too. That makes it that much worse ffs.

TL;DR version, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CONFIRMING THIS WAS THE ISSUE!

I had to make an account to confirm this was the issue, and thank the OP for this!

#13 uchkur

uchkur

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

You have no idea how glad I am that I have helped you, guys! :)

Edited by uchkur, 04 March 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#14 Haribo

Haribo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Why 4 minutes? Because NetLimiter is writing statistics to it's database every 120 seconds by default. This setting can be changed. Cleaning database or deleting it from application also helps. Personally I think main reason is database size, maybe above some size program has bug or needs more time to save data which generates freezes.

#15 Recon

Recon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

As the saying goes, Google definitely is our friend! I installed NetLimiter a couple days ago and I think its an absolutely fantastic program. I've been fascinated looking at all the charts and graphs about all my programs and how much internet usage they have. My ISP is iiNet, and I do have a monthly quota, which means I have to watch my usage. So this application has been a dream the last couple days. However, I noticed during a couple movies this odd freezing for 1 second with a buzzing in the speakers and usually a loss of sync with the video (when it goes crazy for a bit until the scene changes). I started to think maybe my hardware was dying or something. Then I timed it. Four minutes. Then I timed it precisely. Four minutes precisely. Too exact to be hardware problems. One Google search later and I get this thread! I did stop uTorrent and that fixes the freezing. But its good to know that its a combination of NetLimiter and uTorrent not playing nice together. Also thanks to the user above who said that NetLimiter can be configured to refresh by a specific number of seconds apart, and yes it was set to 120. I set mine to 3600 because I can live with a 1 second freeze every hour. I'm ok with manual refreshes, to be honest. Its too great a program to uninstall. Hopefully they will fix it to play nice with your system during the refreshing process and not lock things up. Thanks so much everybody for your comments, especially uchkur. :)

Edited by Recon, 06 September 2013 - 06:09 AM.