Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Auto-Installing a Program after Reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Hey, I've been here several times in the past over the years. Last night, I went to install the latest version of divx+ player and never finished the install. In fact, it froze the computer. I then went into add/remove programs to uninstall Divx, but cannot. Also, during the install my ZoneAlarm detected SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE trying to access the interent. Thinking it was part of the install, I allowed it. I removed some older programs, such as Samsung Camcorder software from 2005/2006. A few probs I'd like fixed if possible: Upon rebooting, it is auto running Windows Installer for 'Photogallery' looking for a disc. In Task Manager it is showing msiexec.exe In Task Manager I noticed it is also putting the SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE in the processes. I've since done a system restore point, and the syminstallstub.exe no longer appears in system processes. I have also found the .exe file and deleted it. There may still be traces of it left. I don't know. I do need this auto-install by windows for a program called 'photo gallery' to be fixed. I believe this was caused when I uninstalled the Samsung video suite, and the computer froze during uninstall. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:54 PM

Hiya Boka4444,

Sorry to hear about your problems and we at WTT can try our best to help you with them.

Help us help you with your problems, We still need some additional information in order to best know how to help you.

• Please indicate Desktop or Laptop, Brand and Model
  • How Much Memory you have.
  • What Current Operating system you have? And what is the current Version SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?
  • Any new "stuff" added? Software or hardware upgrades.
  • What was running on the machine when the problems appeared?

Other tech may also jump into this post to help you with problems of your machine, I may be in and out due to flooding conditions in my area.

Jimbo1

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#3 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Help us help you with your problems, We still need some additional information in order to best know how to help you.

• What Current Operating system you have? And what is the current Version SP1, SP2 or SP3 ?

This a custom built-to-order desktop computer. I bought this from Ibuypower.com back in 2004. I'd like to think I've kept in good working order, making repairs, or adding new hardware that may have broke. Since that time, I have replaced the CD rom drive and have added (2) DVD writers. I've never upgraded any memory.

The OS in Windows XP SP3

The 1st problem occured when I tried to install the Divx+ player package. It stalled during install, and then when I tried to end the task via Task Manager, that froze too. I rebooted and tried to do the installation again. Same deal. Rebooted a 2nd time.

I then uninstalled Samsung Video suite. A program installed back in 2007 or 2008. I never use it anymore. It stalled during uninstallation. Like before, I tried to end the uninstall via Task Manager, but that stalled and just about froze my computer. (refer to my 1st post for what I did after...)

What was running? Probably just Firefox & Windows Explorer

#4 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:16 PM

This a custom built-to-order desktop computer. I bought this from Ibuypower.com back in 2004. I'd like to think I've kept in good working order, making repairs, or adding new hardware that may have broke. Since that time, I have replaced the CD rom drive and have added (2) DVD writers. I've never upgraded any memory.

The OS in Windows XP SP3

The 1st problem occured when I tried to install the Divx+ player package. It stalled during install, and then when I tried to end the task via Task Manager, that froze too. I rebooted and tried to do the installation again. Same deal. Rebooted a 2nd time.

I then uninstalled Samsung Video suite. A program installed back in 2007 or 2008. I never use it anymore. It stalled during uninstallation. Like before, I tried to end the uninstall via Task Manager, but that stalled and just about froze my computer. (refer to my 1st post for what I did after...)

What was running? Probably just Firefox & Windows Explorer

Ok, I don't want to say possible Malware may be causing the problem, just the program hanging up could be software or possible a hardware thing problem.

I've since done a system restore point, and the syminstallstub.exe no longer appears in system processes. I have also found the .exe file and deleted it. There may still be traces of it left. I don't know.

Ok Several Things we can try that is listed below?

Notice: Before proceeding any further with anything and this is very important. Please back up all your important data and files, in case it will be needed to restore your system due to an unseen event.

After backing up all your files, then proceed with the recommendations below:
  • Item 1. How far back did you go on using a restore point?
    If possible try one further back than the one you used to see if this may solve your problem.
  • Item 2. If item 1 did not do the trick, let try this:
  • A: Run a chkdsk /r
  • B: Run sfc /scannow buy typing in the run box by clicking on start and then clicking on run, in the command window type sfc /scannow. Here is info of what SFC does http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
I would like to make sure we have no problems with the windows system files before trying the next few steps. Reason for this process is because you said this.

Upon rebooting, it is auto running Windows Installer for 'Photogallery' looking for a disc. In Task Manager it is showing msiexec.exe
In Task Manager I noticed it is also putting the SYMINSTALLSTUB.EXE in the processes.
I do need this auto-install by windows for a program called 'photo gallery' to be fixed. I believe this was caused when I uninstalled the Samsung video suite, and the computer froze during uninstall.

You may have to re-install the Photo gallery software to fix this problem, but lets wait and see what the above does for you.

Report back here with the results.

Jimbo1

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#5 Boka4444

Boka4444

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

OK... I ran ChkDsk. Took about 1hr 30m to run. I was not at the computer when it finished. Once it got back to desktop, it still auto starts installation of 'PhotoGallery'. In Task Manager, the process is msiexec.exe. It took 4x to end the process before it went away (like prior times). I then ran the "sfc /scannow" but it can't continue because it is asking for 'Windows XP Home Edition' CD. I don't have any OS CD's. This computer had windows installed at factory and a disc was never given. Do remember, I am running Windows XP SP3. Also, I don't think I have the Samsung Video Suite CD anymore either. Could this "PhotoGallery" be related to my HP printer or the Samsung video stuff?

#6 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:54 AM

I then ran the "sfc /scannow" but it can't continue because it is asking for 'Windows XP Home Edition' CD. I don't have any OS CD's. This computer had windows installed at factory and a disc was never given. Do remember, I am running Windows XP SP3.

The reason its asking for the cd because sfc is finding something wrong and wants the disk to fix the files it is finding. I will have to confer with another Tech to ask about this problem.

Also, I don't think I have the Samsung Video Suite CD anymore either. Could this "PhotoGallery" be related to my HP printer or the Samsung video stuff?

Warning Read this first.: I don't see where it would hurt and may be the best way to go, contact HP Tech support and talk to them and get their advice of what they believe may help before proceeding of the install cd's of this software listed below.

Because The PhotoGallery is software provided by HP or with the all in one drivers, My thoughts if you need this program and consider that it is on the HP installation CD, it may be worth a try to reinstall the software to see if it will fix the problem. I ran into that problem with my HP and re-ran in install utility and installed the PhotoGallery software and it fixed my problem, this may be the same problem you are having but I would rather for you to speak with the HP Tech support first before trying this.

They may tell you to un-install the software all of them and re-install all the printer drivers and other related software that came with the CD's but not sure so again its best to seek their advice on this before trying it.

I will have someone post here about the sfc thing to see what they can offer you.

Jimbo1