Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browsers extrememly slow

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have IE and Opera as browsers. About 2 weeks ago, Opera especially did not work well. I have Avast, Superantispyware,Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall and Win Patrol on my computer. I called MS and they ran a scan and said my computer is okay. I also ran about 5 online scanners. I am not sure why Opera freezes every time I open it now. It seems like it takes much less memory than IE. I am not an expert or sure. Even if I open 30 tabs of Opera, it will take maybe 600MB of RAM. However, right now I have 9 tabs (one Window) of IE open and it is using 381, 157,20, 138, 228 MB of RAM according to Task Manager. That is over 900 MB of RAM. I have 1.5 GB of RAM capacity. I doubt if the other things I have running total even 500 MB. I like Opera much better. If I open more than one window of IE, my computer seems to slow down quite a bit and IE seems to like to open in windows and not tabs like Opera. Anyway, if someone can tell me how to resurrect Opera, I would appreciate it. My wife used it and then Comodo kept asking me to allow something to open. I forgot what. It seems like that is when the trouble started. That is why I thought it was malware.I think I am running IE 8 and I updated version of opera in Dec. IE is not working that well either but it is usable. I thought it was an infection and still do. However the fellow who ran a couple of scan at the malware forum said he is finished. Thanks GB

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hi gbsk :wavey:

May I suggest a short test so we can see a few other things that may be causing your issues?

Please run a PC PitStop test so we can see some details about how your computer is currently performing.

How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:

• Please go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page, click here, Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
  • Click "Create a free account "
  • Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
  • After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
  • Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
  • Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
  • Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
  • A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
  • Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/...' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.

Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer.
At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest.
Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.

Have a look here, for how to post a link to your Results:
http://www.pcpitstop...ress/howto1.asp
~ Jkc73
--------------------

Posted Image
Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.
How to Prevent Malware: by ©miekiemoes
"I do most of my reading when writing".

Enjoy life, before it enjoys you!

Due to real life commitments, I may be unable to respond!

#3 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

Here is the link. I hope this is what you need.
http://forums.whatth...howtopic=117535

Thanks
GB

#4 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:09 AM

wrong link in your post, that one just brings us straight back here. :D :popcorn:

#5 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

I tried to do the scan again. I scanned overnight but the page did not turn up after I did the questionaire. I guess you have to do it immediately after the scan. I'lll try it later.

#6 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

This is the fourth time i'VE RUN THIS SCAN. You have to get there before 20 min. after the scan is run or you can't get the info. I hope this one works.
http://pcpitstop.com...?conid=24252940

Thanks for helping,
GB

#7 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

I was wondering if you were able to find anything in the latest scan and what if anything, I should dod about it. Thanks GB

#8 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:09 PM

Clear the Internet Explorer cache: Start IE and click Tools / Internet Options. On the General tab click the Delete Files button.

Run your XP Disk cleanup utility.

Your Graphics driver can be updated to this one:
http://downloadcente...s...er&lang=eng

I am not sure why Opera freezes every time I open it

I also use Opera. Download Opera 11.01 and install. Don't try to uninstall your old opera, just install the new one as it will keep your bookmarks and settings. http://www.opera.com/browser/download/

Defrag. your C drive.

There should be some general improvement now. See how you go.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#9 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

Lee, So far I did everything you said except Defrag. I will do that tonight while I am sleeping since it takes so long. Right now I have 1 window and 3tabs open in IE including this tab. For some reason, task manager records this RAM of IE open: 165, 18, 110, 28, 107,20 - all in MBs. I will open Opera after I close this. I still fear it will freeze up and I have to restart again. I will let you know how it works later. Thanks GB

#10 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Lee, I ran Defrag and in the morning, the computer was frozen up. On defrag, the defrag screen was a solid color and no letters. I restarted twice because the computer is working extra extra slow now. I am not saying the cause was the stuff you told me to do since I was deleting a program and doing something else just before the defrag so maybe it was some sort of conflict. I am doing this in Safe Mode with networking now. GB

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:23 PM

Ok, those steps were a good start to clean things up a little, but I'm not that surprised your defrag. didn't complete.

I have Avast, Superantispyware,Malwarebytes, Comodo Firewall and Win Patrol on my computer.

Your PC is crammed with conflicting security software. Software that uses a lot of PC resources, causes conflict and slows your PC experience down to a crawl.
Never have more than one firewall or antivirus or other security software installed that runs live, or they will compete against each other for resources and control. This will create program conflicts and effect the smooth running of any PC.

Below are my recommendations.

SUPERAntiSpyware. This program, even the freeware version includes various live program guard features and will conflict with WinPatrol which is a program guard. Keep it as a backup scanner to Malwarebytes, but turn off all live features.

SpywareBlaster (OK)
WinPatrol (OK)
Malwarebytes' (OK)
avast! Free Antivirus (OK)

COMODO Internet Security (remove )
Norton Security Scan (remove)
McAfee Security Scan Plus (remove)
McAfee SiteAdvisor (remove)
Windows Live OneCare safety scanner (remove).

Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC (remove).
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (remove).

CNET TechTracker does not work with Opera so it might be causing a conflict. I'd consider removing it is an unnecessary program that runs live and wastes resources. Basically it just promotes sales of new software through Cnet.

When the above is completed, run the Overdrive test again and post the link here. Make sure you use IE (won't work with Opera).

Cheers,
Lee

PS edit: Leave the defraging for the moment. I'll recommend a good defrager later that should be better than the native windows one.

Edited by Lee, 19 March 2011 - 02:49 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#12 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Lee I ran the Optimizer twice. I am positive that I did not wait 20 minutes before it finished since I checked it15 minutes after I started it and it was done. There was nothing to click "Go" or any website after it ran. I did copy these after it was done. I removed everything you said to remove. However, Norton, Windows Live, McAfee I added to scan my computer after I had the computer slow down so I know they could not have caused the problem. I have been meaning to delete Speed up MyPC for awhile. I added Comodo because I did not have a firewall and now I do not since I deleted it. so what can I do about that? I am curious why you had me delete Google toolbar. I know it takes some RAM. Is there another reason? I use it a lot.. Thanks GB Security Low Tracking Cookies 1 Tracking Cookies found Remove Junk Files Temporary Files 403.81 MB 50 MB Junk Files Internet Cache 729.35 MB 50 MB Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 392.33 MB 50 MB Junk Files System Restore Files 3,370.00 MB 0 MB Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized Startup Programs Messenger Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Intel® Common User Interface Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Intel® Common User Interface Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Java™ Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0 Enabled Disabled Disk Most Fragmented Files 2266 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 2256 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1317 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 583 frags 500 frags Disk Data Fragmentation 12.04% 10% Other Services Test Automatic Other Services Test Automatic Advice System Restore Capacity 4,699 MB 1024 MB This list provides a quick and easy view of all issues with your PC, big and small. The items designated with a red circle are the ones that can be fixed automatically by PC Matic by hitting the Fix All button. The items marked with a yellow circle are pieces of advice for better performances or fixes that cannot be automated. Fix All

#13 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

I ran another scan and it did the same thing. Security Low Tracking Cookies 1 Tracking Cookies found Remove Junk Files Temporary Files 405.03 MB 50 MB Junk Files Internet Cache 751.26 MB 50 MB Junk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 392.33 MB 50 MB Junk Files System Restore Files 3,372.00 MB 0 MB Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized Startup Programs Messenger Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Intel® Common User Interface Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Intel® Common User Interface Enabled Disabled Startup Programs Java™ Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0 Enabled Disabled Disk Most Fragmented Files 2266 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 2256 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1317 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 583 frags 500 frags Disk Data Fragmentation 12.18% 10% Other Services Test Automatic Other Services Test Automatic Advice System Restore Capacity 4,699 MB 1024 MB This list provides a quick and easy view of all issues with your PC, big and small. The items designated with a red circle are the ones that can be fixed automatically by PC Matic by hitting the Fix All button. The items marked with a yellow circle are pieces of advice for better performances or fixes that cannot be automated. Fix All

#14 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:57 PM

Hi gbsk,

I ran the Optimizer twice

I never advised you to run this program. In fact WTT does not endorse this program or any other "optimizer" program (along with Reg. cleaners, they are snake-oil). I asked you to run the "Overdrive" test again.

You only have resources of 1.5GB of ram and a weak CPU. Please get rid of the Google toolbar and all else I advised you to get rid of. Some programs I want you to remove because I don't want you to ever use them and not because they are resource hogs. Some however, are. Naturally, you are free to ignore any Tech. advice given in this forum as it is your PC.

Comodo can be very problematic (learnt from harsh personal experience), so Let's simplify.
Download Online Armor Free Firewall 4.5 (what I use). http://www.online-ar...m/downloads.php
Disable the program guard in this firewall as you already have a very good one in WinPatrol (I've had it for 10yrs. and it is very good). What we don't want is two programs trying to do the same thing, so disable the program guard in Online Armor. Apart from that, it is a top-shelf firewall.

Please complete the above directions and run the "Overdrive" test and post the URL from the address bar.

A good free defrager is Auslogics. http://download.cnet...4-10567503.html

Cheers,
Lee

#15 gbsk

gbsk

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:17 AM

Lee I deleted everythng you told me to delete last time including Google toolbar. I have never heard = even from a techie that the toolbar is bad. Can you tell me why? I made a mistake and called Optimizer Overdrive and ran Overdrive twice and posted the logs or whatever they are above twice. I deleted Optimizer when you told to to do it. I could not get the URL to come up after the scans. I can try again later. I will download the things you suggested. Thanks GB