Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

Welcome Guest to What the Tech - Register now for FREE

We specialize in the removal of malicious software (malware), but here you'll find free help and support for all your tech questions. We invite you to ask questions, share experiences, and learn. Explore our message boards, or register now to post messages of your own. Please Start Here. Register today (registration removes advertising)

Create an Account Login to Account

Photo

CD Video Cam

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

Hello all... I am thinking to make a purchase of one good quality video camera...I am not looking for a very high quality cam but the one which is CD supported of course....Who cares for tapes and films now lmfao Thanking in anticipation

#2 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:23 AM

I am no expert in this field, but I happen to be speaking to a cameraman at a local television station a few weeks ago and asked for his recommendations for video cameras. As you mentioned about nobody using film these days, I thought I would just make a comment. His only recommendation was 8mm film, apparently it is still the prefered media in his profession, and even after all the advances in technology, is still superior to digital. Also, If you ever take interesting footage that you may be interested in selling, film fetches a much higher price as the images are true and could not have been "fiddled" with as easily as digital (photoshopped etc). I guess it really comes down to what you want to use it for. Everyday use and no hassles, go digital. For anything else, dont overlook 8mm film!

Edited by chrissy72, 22 January 2011 - 04:25 AM.

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Chrissy72

#4 Jkc73

Jkc73

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Malware Removal, Tech Support

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Informative reply, I don't yet have a camcorder, though now when I go looking, I will go looking for one that supports 8mm film. I choose quality over quantity any day, when it comes to capturing time in action.

#5 chrissy72

chrissy72

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Of course with all that said, you would also have to consider the costs of transferring 8mm to DVD, unless you are planning on also purchasing a projector. In Australia it costs approx $65AU for 100ft of film (4 inch reel) which only gives you approx 8 minutes of footage! Alternatively, you can also look at a "handycam" which uses hi8 cassettes, I think these can connect through your television for viewing (but dont quote me on that lol). They can also be transferred to dvd at a cost of around $55AU per tape. But I suspect when he was talking about 8mm film, he was talking about 8mm reels. After doing some very quick research, the cost of a projector would set you back around $1500, although I have seen them pop up on ebay from time to time for about $500 and around $150 for the camera. The reels are still available from numerous companys, just google 8mm film. The reason I was enquiring was because my partner has an underwater 8mm camcorder which he was thinking of "upgrading" to digital when he joined an underwater photography club. Luckily he didnt as he found out later that most of thier competitions do not accept digital images, again because of it being too easy to enhance them. As I said it all comes down to what you are wanting to use it for, versus the costs and hassles involved.

Edited by chrissy72, 27 January 2011 - 08:04 PM.

#6 MobileMania

MobileMania

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Knowing about advanced Technologies

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Chrissy for all the wonderful replies......! I have taken the print out of this post and will negotiate with my friends to get a to a final choice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users