Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How do you start the print spooler in safe mode?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

How do you start the print spooler in safe mode? I prefer safe mode because it is faster and I have less problems. Please do not reply if all you can say is that those drivers can't be loaded because it is safe mode or whatever. I know certain drivers do not load in safe mode, like sound for instance, but found a way to work around that with a registry entry. I found it online and works by dbl clicking it and restarting your comp in safe mode. So now I'm hoping to be able to start the print spooler. Someone managed to find a work around for it in XP in this thread here, but it didn't work for me in vista. I'd like to find a way for it to work in Vista 64bit. Please give CLEAR instructions on how to do it. I don't know how to edit the registry and if what you tell me to do involves editing the registry, please give step by step instructions on how to do it.

Thanks. :thumbup:

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

If you have less problems in Safe Mode, the correct solution is to fix the problems you are having in normal mode! ;) Remember Google is your friend. How do I start print spooler in Vista Safe Mode? That said, as you are aware, many drivers are not loaded in Safe Mode. This means if your particular printer requires special drivers, your printer may not print, or the printout may not be as you expected.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#3 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

If you have less problems in Safe Mode, the correct solution is to fix the problems you are having in normal mode! ;) Remember Google is your friend. How do I start print spooler in Vista Safe Mode? That said, as you are aware, many drivers are not loaded in Safe Mode. This means if your particular printer requires special drivers, your printer may not print, or the printout may not be as you expected.

I just like working in normal mode because it seems a little faster and I googled about printing in safe mode. The links from the link you provided are of no help. The only even partiallly worthwhile link I found was in my original post where the member said how to enable printing in xp safe mode. My printer prints fine in normal mode. I just want to be able to start the print spooler in normal mode.

Edited by leader2, 08 January 2011 - 02:08 AM.

#4 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

What do you mean the links I provided were of no help? The very first one from answers.yahoo.com does indeed enable the print spooler in Vista in Safe Mode.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#5 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

What do you mean the links I provided were of no help? The very first one from answers.yahoo.com does indeed enable the print spooler in Vista in Safe Mode.

I said that because I tried that before Digerati. It didn't work. So I was hoping someone here could tell me a way to do it where it will actually work for Vista. The method they provided did not work.

#6 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

If you want help, you really have to help us help you. What do you mean it did not work? What happened? Did the print spooler not start? Or were you just not able to print? What exactly is, or is not happening?
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#7 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

If you want help, you really have to help us help you. What do you mean it did not work? What happened? Did the print spooler not start? Or were you just not able to print? What exactly is, or is not happening?

The print spooler did not start. Nothing happened and I could not print. :unsure:

#8 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

No error message? What if you boot normally, can you print then?
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#9 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

No error message? What if you boot normally, can you print then?

I can print in normal mode yes. But the point is that I want to print in safe mode. I was told that the print spooler doesn't start in safe mode and I want to start it so that I can print in safe mode. Thanks. :)

#10 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

http://answers.yahoo...13132123AA01XYq

If the above does not work (it should), I'd suggest resetting the Print Spooler Files.

Click on Start / My Computer / Go into C: and navigate to the "Windows\System32\Spool" directory.
Open the "Printers" and "Drivers" folders and delete all of the contents in them. Once the files have been deleted, restart your computer into standard mode which will reset the spooler files. Now re-boot into safe mode and follow the above link's steps.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I can print in normal mode yes. But the point is that I want to print in safe mode

And the point or points I wanted to establish were that (1) the drivers worked and (2) the print spooler did too. I don't think resetting the spooler will help - not if it works in normal mode. But I could certainly be wrong there. However, resetting the print spooler is typically done when a print job is stuck in the queue, not for when it does not start.

If the above does not help, then see http://www.windowsan...spoolergoogcont - it might help but I don't think so however, as I note according to PCStats: Safe Mode in Windows Vista,

Note that no printing support or network connections are available in this mode

and it does not add printing support in Safe Mode with Networking.

So the bottom line in my opinion is this cannot be done. It might have been possible with XP if you hacked the Safe Mode environment but it appears that is not possible in Vista or Windows 7. And frankly, that is right. Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode for when normal mode has problems. As shown in this Microsoft Vista document, only a minimal number of services and drivers are loaded, just enough to accommodate troubleshooting. That certainly does not include printing.

So, we are back to my original comment. If normal mode is giving problems, the correct solution is to fix those problems.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#12 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for you guys help. I guess I'll have to see what I can do...

#13 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

I guess I'll have to see what I can do...

Well, you could post your HW and OS specifics and the problems you are having in normal mode and maybe we can help resolve your real problems.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

#14 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

I guess I'll have to see what I can do...

Well, you could post your HW and OS specifics and the problems you are having in normal mode and maybe we can help resolve your real problems.

Well sometimes the comp runs a little slow. I have Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1. I guess these would be the HW specs...

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883107985

Thanks for the offer of help, but I think I will call the comp manufacturer and see what they tell me. Thanks again.

#15 Digerati

Digerati

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the offer of help, but I think I will call the comp manufacturer and see what they tell me. Thanks again.

Suit yourself. But if me I would purge the hard drives of clutter with Windows Vista Disk Cleanup.

Then I would want to ensure my system is clean malware by performing a thorough scan with my anti-malware program.
Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────