Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Installer Continuously Popping Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 catjsykes

catjsykes

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hello, I was given this link from the Malware Removal forum on Safer Networking (Spybot Search and Destroy), so I have already been through the Malware removal process and it appears that this may be some sort of issue with my printer. I started with the Malware Removal forum because directly prior to this problem I had several viruses and malware that I removed with avast and malwarebytes. I believe we also removed a couple of worms during the malware removal process with Safer Networking. I have not installed or uninstalled any of the HP software on my computer. Here is the problem: The Windows Installer is constantly popping up and saying "Please wait while Windows configures Unload". Then another window pops up saying that "the feature you are trying to use is unavailable" and it says to look for an alternate path for the uninstall package 'unload.msi'. The use source box shows the path: c:\hp\tmp\src\setup\UnloadIntent\ . If I press Cancel to this, I get an "Error 1706 No valid source could be found for the product Unload. The Windows Installer cannot continue". Then the Installer will pop up repeatedly and I just have to keep hitting cancel dozens of time until it stops. Then, several minutes later it will start over again. It is constantly popping up no matter what I am doing on the computer. My computer specs are: HP Pavilion a1410n AMD Athlon 64 Process 3800+ 2.61 GHZ 960 MB Ram Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3 I would appreciate any help with solving this problem. Thank you!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Hi catjsykes,

Head on over to this link and download to your desktop the HP driver only for your model:
http://welcome.hp.co...en/support.html

I have recently just installed a HP printer too and their disks are loaded with junkware. There is nothing on the disk you need or want except the driver anyway.

Install the driver you downloaded but make sure your printer is connected and switched on first. The XP "found new hardware" wizard should then come up.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee, 10 December 2010 - 08:37 PM.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 11 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Download and install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

Find the Windows installer cleanup utility on your start menu after installation and run it.

Find and remove an entry that says "unload" on it. Do not remove anything else, especially if you are not sure what it is.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#4 catjsykes

catjsykes

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

Lee, Thanks for the advice. I have been to the HP website and downloaded the latest drivers for my printer. I think that all went through okay, but I never got the XP prompt for new hardware. The driver utility asked me if I wanted to add any other HP products and I just said "no" to that . The windows installer did pop up again once after installing the drivers, but I haven't been on my computer as much this weekend, so I will have to see if it is going to continue. Appleoddity, Thank you too. I am going to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility now and I will let you know what happens! Thank you so much for all the help :)

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

It will pay to run "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" as appleoddity suggested, then go to your Control Panel and click on "Printers and Faxes". It probably won't be showing up there yet in the window that opens (the printer should be plugged in and on). Click on "add Printer" in the left column and follow the simple directions. All you need is the printer driver installed and you should be fine. Cheers, Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#6 catjsykes

catjsykes

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:11 AM

Hi Lee and Appleoddity, My printer was not a new installation as you mentioned yours was. It has been installed and hooked up to my computer for a couple of years. The Malware Forum people said they thought the problem was to do with my HP printer, perhaps from looking at my logs, I'm not sure. It was definitely something to do with the HP software I have on here. In any case, I have installed the drivers, I have also run the Windows Installer Cleanup and I removed the "Unload" entry that I found there. My printer is working and I have been on and off the computer for a couple of hours this morning and so far I have not had the Windows Installer pop up, so it really looks like the problem has been solved. Yay!!!! :D Thank you sooooooo much for your help!! Happy Holidays :adios:

#7 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

:thumbup:

#8 lauramercier85

lauramercier85

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility has been removed from the Microsoft website since August of 2010. It was removed from the Microsoft Download Center as it sometimes could cause issues with other programs or components that were installed on the computer. You may have downloaded from a 3rd party site, but the utility should not be used.
But if you still want to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, please read the instructions provided here:
http://www.windows-i...up-utility.com/

You will find step by step instructions to get rid of your error.