Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Toshiba Satellite M30X LCD problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rich_JD

Rich_JD

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hi there, My Toshiba laptop (Satellite M30X) seems to have lost power to the LCD screen - happened last night for no apparent reason - I can see the display in the background, but there is no light (using an external monitor at the mo). Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Is it something that I can fix myself or do I need to pay a professional to sort it out? Hope you can help me. Regards, Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 -Redeye-

-Redeye-

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Gaming etc

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hey mate, It sounds like a loose connection but I am not exactly sure that is the problem. You may have to take it to your local PC repair shop and ask them to take a look at it and give you a price (btw, don't go for any overpriced help like Geek Squad if your USA or PC World if your UK). One thing, is it just the backlight which is the problem or does the monitor not display anything full stop? Cheers, Redeye

#3 Rich_JD

Rich_JD

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hi Redeye, It is definitely the backlight - i can see images on the screen. One thing I've noticed is that when the little white button at the base of the screen is pressed and released, the screen flickers back to normal for a millisecond - this is the button which deactivates the screen when the laptop is closed up. Rich

#4 -Redeye-

-Redeye-

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:PCs, Gaming etc

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hey mate, Laptops aren't my area of expertise but it sounds to me like a loose power connection or even just the brightness turned down (unlikely). Try 'wiggling' the screen by moving it back and forth to see if it work in certain position like my old laptop...

#5 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

sounds to me like this :- http://www.laptoprep...-fix-backlight/

:popcorn:

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

sounds to me like this :- http://www.laptoprep...-fix-backlight/

and to me as well.....Just a word of warning Rich_JD ..if you attempt this work yourself, be very careful that your machine is fully powered down and the mains cable and battery are both fully ( physically) removed.
The "inverter" transforms ordinary system voltage to well in excess of 130V (even whilst only powered by battery) and as well as damaging your machine it can provide you with a nasty electric shock!
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 Rich_JD

Rich_JD

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. I will, hopefully, now be able to get this sorted out! Cheers Rich

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

if your doing it yourself just follow paws advice and make sure you get the exact same part, if you don't it could ruin the motherboard, here's another link showing how to do it..

but i wouldn't recommend touching the actual backlight if you can get away with it, like this guy does, they are very very fragile and easily broken, so be very careful otherwise you'll be needing to buy two parts instead of one.

http://www.laptoprep...ht-inverter.htm