Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Internet disconnects after putting computer to sleep or in hibernate m

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cecarland

cecarland

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Hi, I have a Dell inspiron 1521 laptop. I have had it for about 2 years and it works great. I recently had CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2008 installed on my computer after it blue screened. Everything now works fine, except when I put it into sleep or hibernate mode. When it goes to sleep or hibernate mode, my internet disconnects and the only way to get it to work again is to restart the computer. Why is my computer doing this? Is there any way to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Tell us about your internet connection. Presumably DSL? or Cable? Do you have a Router and Network? If no router, do you connect to the DSL modem each time by entering user-name and password to log in, or is it set up as always on? Do other machines have the same problem with lost internet connection?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 cecarland

cecarland

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

My computer is connected to a router via ethernet cable. We use a cable modem. My parent's computer is also hooked up to this router and they do not have the same problem. However, they use a Mac.

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

Loss of connectivity to internet gateway after hibernate/sleep is a "known problem" for Windows Vista.
The problem was corrected with the first Service Pack SP1

You should now be running with "at least" SP2

Update your operating system, and the problem should be resolved.

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872

#5 cecarland

cecarland

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

I just checked and I am already running Service Pack 2

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:59 PM

Let's have a look at the machine's overall configuration and current performance.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. At WTT we prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Best Regards