Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Boot priory error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chase

Chase

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:25 PM

I made one of my windows partitions active last night, in addition to the primary one, and I'm now receiving an error when I startup my computer. I troubleshooter on the lenovo website, but I figured it might help to post the problem elsewhere: BIOS not recognizing hard drive - "Remove disks or other media" error [ Edited ] Options 08-01-2010 12:58 AM - last edited on 08-01-2010 12:59 AM When I start up my computer, I receive a "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart error; no disks or USBs are plugged into it.   I troubleshooted it on the Lenovo support website, and went into the BIOS to see if it was recognizing the hard drive. My boot order is as follows:   1: USB FDD: 2: ATAPI CDO:HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE - (PM) 3: USB CD: 4: ATA HDDO: ST9160823AS-(S1) 5: PCI LAN: IBA GE Slot 00C8 v1245 6: -USB HDD 7: ATA HDD1: 8:    Ecluded from boot order: : ATA HDD2 : ATAPI CD1   Number 4 looks to be the hard drive; however, there isn't a plus icon next to it, which makes me think otherwise. I cannot expand it, and trying to move it to a higher position isn't yielding any better of an outcome. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?   FYI: The only changes I made prior to this was making my secondary hard drive partition ( Z: ) active, in addition to the primary one ( C: ). One thing I also took note of is that the boot manager was attributed to the secondary partition ( Z: ).   Thank you for any help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

That sounds like it is looking for a device that is not present, and you're boot order seems to support this, so you need to change the boot order, and you may need to check for the priority of each drive, but not all BIOS's have this, but with this info you will know what too look for. Should there be a listing for drive priority or similar, you need to enter this and ensure that the OS drive is the one listed as 1st priority, what this tells the system is which hard drive too look too for booting, otherwise it wont know which drive to use, but as I said this may not apply to you're system, as not all BIOS's have this option, if that is the same here that is fine, just change the boot order. Now you know where to look for this, so it's just how to make the changes, this varies with the BIOS, some you hit enter, then scroll down a list to the device you want, the other common way is to use the + and - keys to move an entry up or down the list, most times the BIOS lists what to use to change the order, but I suspect the + you have seen near it may be telling you thats what to press to move it. The good news here is do not be afraid what you press\change, have a play so you can see what happens when pressing these buttons, the key fact is that unless you save and exit the BIOS, no changes will happen, so if you are worried you change something that you did not mean to, if you exit without saving, nothing will be changed, so you can feal a bit easier when seeing what buttons do what, but the F10 button is the shortcut to save and exit, but it does ask for confirmation of this before applying it. Now the order I suggest is as follows:- ATA HDDO: ST9160823AS-(S1) [This is the OS drive, so set it too the 1st boot device for fastest boot time] ATAPI CDO:HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE - (PM) [This is you're optical drive, often this is set to the 1st boot, because when you install from a disk that is where it would be, but set as 2nd boot this is where a failed boot would look to for the next boot option] The rest of the devices I would personally exclude from the boot order, not unless you will be using any of them, if you're issue is purely a boot order one, this should sort that out, if there is another issue I may not have the time with a serious family issue that is taking priority over my time right now, but if it is a boot thing this should resolve that, hope this helps.

Braindead