4 replies to this topic

#1 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

The motherboard for my Linux server has died. The hard drive is fine.

I want to transfer it to another system, but the old system was really ancient.:

http://www.biostar-u...del=m7vig pro d

http://www.cpu-world...A1333AMS3C.html

256 MB DDR266 RAM

GeForce2 MX 32MB Video Card.

I ran Linux Mandriva 8 server using it for an email server, file server, and web page server. I retrieved all the files off of it, because I had another hard drive with Linux Mandriva 10 on it. I would like to set my server back up, but because the system was so ancient, it won't work with any other chipset.

I am wondering if there is a way, using my other Linux Drive, to set up my old Linux Server hard drive to work on a new server system. I don't want to have to start all over again.

Also, it seems like I can't access my web page files on the old Linux Drive. It just keeps telling me that it is unable to access the folder. I suspect it is because only certain users are permitted to access the folder and accessing it from a different drive might not be allowed. Any suggestions for that?

Edited by ladykrimson, 17 July 2010 - 02:05 PM.

Similar Topics: My Linux Server     x

#2 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

OK, well I basically started a new server, but I still have all the old files and such. I have been messing around with the settings, though I hesitate to make any drastic changes. I copied over some of the old server network settings (from postfix, samba, mysql, apache, etc), but I think I am missing some kind of crucial step. In the apache logs, it keeps telling me that the file doesn't exist. And my email connection continues to be refused by my server. I am now running Linux Mandriva 2010 Power Pack. Networking is one of my weaker computer skills, so I am a little out of my depth. I have been fighting with this for over two weeks, and I am so frustrated. :pullhair: Can anyone tell me what I might be missing?

#3 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Hi ladykrimson,

I don't even qualify as a Linux noobie, so don't have anything to offer.

I did inquire with a friend who is Linux literate, but who has never set up a madriva server.

He asked if you have investigated here:
http://www2.mandriva.com/support/

#4 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have gone to this forum, and a couple people tried to help me restore my old server. They were a little impatient and a bit rude to me, so I don't think they will be inclined to help me. Thank you, though.

#5 ladykrimson

ladykrimson

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

So, my website resolves, but now it simply comes up blank. I still cannot use the email; it says the connection is refused. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users