Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

hardware problems on home built pc

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#46 CantankerousV

CantankerousV

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

When using the new slipstream CD.... The installation will start but it will not actually install on the SATA all it says is... "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your Computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on the properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3." I am lost.. ha ha ha When I try to install Windows with both the IDE and the SATA drive plugged into the unit, all I can see is the IDE 6.4GB HDD when you select where to Install Windows at. If I let the computer load Windows normally off of the IDE HDD, I can see and reformat the SATA drive from the admin tools like you suggested previously. I reformatted it but still no luck with the SATA alone during Install

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

Can we start over here? I only skimmed over the first 4 pages, but I did see what I was looking for. Forgive me if I missed it. XP does not have a clue what SATA drives are. So when installing XP, you have to install SATA support early into the install process. What makes it very confusing is since XP does not have a clue what SATA is, it does not know how to ask for SATA drivers, so instead, it asks for SCSI drivers and it does this by prompting for you to insert a floppy early into install process. Floppy? Yes, floppy. Your motherboard's utility disk should include a utility to create this floppy. With the BIOS set to boot to CD, pay close attention to the install process and you should see a prompt (I think it prompts to press F6) to install SATA support from the floppy, then from there, it should allow you to complete the install on the SATA drive.
kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#48 CantankerousV

CantankerousV

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

Digerati..

I do not have the floppy attached, due to the fact that i have no blank floppy disks, or even any floppy disks that i use. :blush:

I got the motherboard from a friend.. it came with no cd, no box, no information besides what is actually physically printed on the board.

I have gone to the ASUS site and downloaded the proper driver for sata and raid.. there are only 2 available. I choose to download
"VIARAID220d" and created a slipsteamed XP disc containing the driver i download.

before i created and install XP using the slipsteam disc i created i could not see the harddrive to format it, when install directly from the original XP + SP2 dics, or when i would boot normally with an IDE HDD.

Only after doing the install with the XP slipstreamed disc I could reformat the SATA drive from the IDE drive but I still cannot Install XP (slipstreamed) directly on to the SATA drive...

The whole reason i want to do this is because I have 4 SATA drives on hand, each over 100 GB, and the only IDE drive I have is a 6.4GB (i know ancient) and I want to have another working computer strictly for game use..

does this help to answer any questions?

if you have any others i am more than willing to answer.. I am completely lost and appreciate any and all ideas, suggestions, and advice

Edited by CantankerousV, 17 July 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#49 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hello sir. I have read the entire thread. :) Whooo. Glad that is over. Now, there are a few issues that are at play here, and it appears you have already discovered a couple of them. I'll try to throw some suggestions out here. I'll need you to be specific (as you already have been) as to what messages or results you get. Your motherboard is VERY limited on SATA/RAID settings, and further reading appears to suggest this motherboard has trouble with SATA all together. So, I do not know wha to expect here. It appears your motherboard will not support 3GB/s SATA modes. Only 1.5GB/s is supported so the hard drive has to be set to a slower speed to work. This is easily done on your Seagate drive with a jumper, so lets work with that drive. Here are some of the issues that have been present throughout this thread. First of all, when you plug a hard drive into this machine that has been setup on a different machine, you MIGHT get lucky and have the drive boot, but USUALLY you WILL NOT get it to boot. The operating system has been custom taylored during installation time for the hardware on the machine it was installed on. Any significant change in hardware (such as plugging the hard drive into a different computer) will prevent Windows XP from being able to start. Therefore, plugging a drive that you know to work on a different machine, into this machine, is not a reliable test. It cannot, and should not be done. Next, as you have discovered, and as Digerati has pointed out, Windows XP can not see a SATA hard drive without loading SATA/RAID drivers using the F6 button and a floppy drive during the initial stages of setup. There is no other way to do it, that I know of, without a floppy drive. There are no clear options in your BIOS to work around this but we will try the only one I see in a minute. Its almost looking like you will have no choice but to plug a floppy drive in temporarily and load the correct SATA drivers. But, we'll tackle that when the time comes. Also, the message about the bios not be installed, or whatever, is your SATA controller not detecting the SATA drive properly. This appears to be multiple possibilities, either bad SATA cable, bad power cable, or most likely no 3.0GB/s support. It is not referring to your motherboard BIOS. Lastly, you mentioned at one point that you tried several different hard drives, and with two of them the machine wouldn't even turn on. This is highly unlikely to be anything related to the drive, especially when the seagate drive worked previously. Therefore, the answer to this problem is simply this - you bumped some cables around and caused furhter issues. So please make sure everything is plugged in securely after you make changes like that. Now, lets get down to resolving this issue. Here's the steps. Inspect your Seagate hard drive. It will have a jumper setting labeled on the case to limit it to 1.5GB/s mode. You will need to put this jumper in place. Next, disconnect the fujitsu hard drive and connect the Seagate harrd drive. Please plug it in, both SATA and POWER cables, and power the system up. The system should power up just fine. If it doesn't, please re-check your connections, but I doubt you will have this problem again. Power the system up and enter your BIOS setup screen. Configure your bios as so: First, navigate to the EXIT menu and choose "Load Setup Defaults" Next, navigate to the ADVANCED menu, navigate to the I/O Device Configuration option/menu, and change the option Onboard ATA Boot ROM to DISABLE. Now, navigate to the EXIT menu, and choose to save your settings and exit. When the computer reboots enter back into the BIOS setup utility. Under the MAIN menu, please tell me what is listed for Primary Master, through Secondary Slave drives. It appears your BIOS is so limited that it will not support SATA in the BIOS at all. Therefore, your SATA drives absolutely will not show up in this list. Now, navigate to the BOOT menu and ENABLE the Atapi CD-rom and make it the first device in the list. Save your settings in the EXIT menu and reboot with your original Windows XP installation disc, lets not use the slipstreamed disc for now. Go through the setup process and see if it gives you a drive not found error again. If it does, go back into your BIOS setup, navigate back to the ADVANCED menu, navigate to the I/O devices menu, and ENABLE the ATA Boot Rom again. Save your changes and reboot. Make a note if you get a message about the "bios not be installed" again, and try the windows setup also and see if it will work. If it still gives you a hard drive not found error, then you have no choice but to find a floppy drive for now and create the floppy disc with the right SATA drivers. Please post back with the results of what you find here, and we will go from here. Again, if you cannot get setup to recognize the hard drive you will need to find a working floppy drive and floppy disc for the time being and you will need to be able to create the floppy disc on a working windows machine so it can be used on this non-working machine.

Edited by appleoddity, 17 July 2010 - 08:43 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#50 CantankerousV

CantankerousV

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Okay first things first.. none of the SATA drives I have came with Jumpers.. I have jumpers for IDE and CD-Roms could these be used?? I have no clue why the computer would not turn on with those hard drives in it. Everything was properly connected and the cables I am using are brand new.. After I get an Answer bout the jumper I will continue addressing the rest of the suggestions from you post.

#51 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Appleoddity,

Do you think it possible to attempt installing the SATA Drive via USB?
http://www.ehow.com/...-using-usb.html
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#52 CantankerousV

CantankerousV

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

From what I have read.. I think that its hard programmed in the the XP install to get the third party drivers (when you press F6 during install) from the A: drive.. I think i would some how have to rename the USB flashstick to be the A: drive if I was to try it that way.

#53 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

CantankerousV, Yes you can use ordinary jumpers from another HD Does the HD have a diagram to illustrate the correct placement of Jumper? if not... Give us the Exact Brand and Model # or the HD so we can look up the correct setting.

#54 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

The jumper you use on the seagate drive is a mini jumper. A standard jumper, as you are talking about, will not work. Typically the drive will come with it ON by default. I used to have to remember to REMOVE the jumper before using the drive as it came, by default, in 1.5GB mode. That was back when I still used Seagate hard drives. :) Doug, the instructions you have referenced refer to Windows Vista, and 7. These two OSes make it much easier to load sata drivers and they can be loaded from numerous sources, such as USB or DVD/CD. However, windows XP is limited to ONLY a floppy disk. I have, in times past, had someone propose a method of a work around for those of us that no longer have floppy disks. I will leave it to someone around here to find and propose that solution again. ;)

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#55 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Appleoddity, I've also notice in reading ASUS sources about this MotherBoard, that ASUS insists the BIOS is suitable for recognizing SATA. Clearly that isn't the case. However, ASUS was referring to MotherBoards with BIOS published after 2003... Whereas this MotherBoard has a BIOS copywrite 1998-2002 Is a BIOS Flash a reasonable consideration?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Appleoddity, i have a WD6401AALS SATA here on my Desk. While it did not come with a Jumper, I have a store of Jumpers from old Drives. Any/all of them "fit". Maybe Seagate uses a "mini" versions?

#57 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Doug,

ASUS A7V600-X ACPI BIOS Revision 1006

Revision 1006 is new enough to support SATA drives. A Flash bios update may add more features, but I am not sure at this time. From my reading on other pages, it appears this motherboard is just very limited as to its support.

SATA support on this motherboard is more of an "after thought." Its kind of like buying a PCI SATA controller and plugging it in. The BIOS doesn't see it at all, but the system can still boot, and manage SATA drives and has a seperate configuration utility to configure RAID modes. The only option appearing in the native BIOS of the motherboard is an option to ENABLE or DISABLE this controller from what it appears, but I am still not sure exactly what the ATA mode BIOS option is, and that is why we are trying it. I'm almost 100% positive, this motherboard's BIOS will never see, nor give any options to manage the SATA drives. It is simply an "add-on" controller capable of interrupting normal startup sequences if it is enabled.

#58 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Doug,

Posted Image

The jumper used on these drives is (for lack of a better name) a mini jumper.

http://media.photobu...rsalWBorder.jpg

#59 CantankerousV

CantankerousV

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Well i tried to put the jumper on it, but the pins are closer together than on the Normal IDE drives.. I could wedge it on there if I pushed really hard but I do not want to damage the hard drive.. here are the details of the SATA drives I have in front of me right now - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB (this drive has no model number on it) it says S/N: 9SZ00SD4 ST3320613AS P/N: 9FZ162-568 Firmware: SD41 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 200GB Model: ST3200822AS S/N: 4LJ0NV5A P/N: 9W2854-175 HDA P/N: 100314751 Config: A10L-01 Firmware: 3.02 - Toshiba Disk Drive MK1237GSX HDD2D62 S ZL01 S S/N: 87LMFOIDS AM6 EC.A 8455MB (CYL 16383, H16, S630 120GB (LBA 234, 441, 648Sectors) - Fujitsu 120GB Model: MHV2120BH PL ID PART NO. CA06672-B276000T All these hard drives have the mini jumpers that doug referenced, except the Fujitsu which has no place for jumpers (very odd) Sorry some didnt have model numbers listed so I just tried to give you all the information I could from them.. These hard drives have just been given to me by friends and pulled out of other computers.. ect, ect.. I get all my parts hand-me-down from friends and people that I do computer work for, so I am sorry I do not have more information on the hardware that I have.

Edited by CantankerousV, 17 July 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#60 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:37 PM

Ok.. The 320GB Seagate is 3.0GB/s and will not work without a limiting jumper. The 200GB should work, it is only 1.5GB/s. The other two drives are both laptop hard drives. You don't want to use these anyways. But, the Toshiba drive is also 3.0GB/s. And, the fujitsu I just cant find any definitive information. But, it appears to be 1.5GB/s from your tests. My suggestion is you use the Seagate 200GB, as is.