Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Help With Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hi

I have just changed the way I connect to the internet in terms of hardware.
I've recently switched from a USB/Cabled Modem to an ADSL2+ Modem Router & have some questions about Wireless Network Encryption.

The first one would be whether I have the Router encryption set properly to match what I have entered for Windows Wireless Network Properties? The images below show how I have the network configured at the moment.
It seems to be connecting fine I just want to make sure that my wireless security is set up properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

01.JPG

Reason for edit: Remove 2nd image as it contains the WPA2 key needed to access your Wireless Network.

Edited by manicd, 14 July 2010 - 07:44 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

Yes, that looks right. Note that I removed the 2nd image as it contained the WPA2 key you use to access your Wireless Network. If you want to post it again, edit that info out.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 July 2010 - 06:19 PM.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:28 AM

Hi ZTruker

Was the WPA2-PSK Security Encryption number displayed on my image?
Here is the image with the key blacked out.
03.JPG

Would you also be able to help me set up my Router so only my computer can access my Wireless access via the MAC code

Edited by manicd, 14 July 2010 - 01:56 AM.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

Hi manicd,
If you inadvertantly published your wireless key here on the forum, then many folks may have seen it before Ztruker spotted it and took it down to protect you, and therefore its important that you change the wireless key immediately...( thanks Ztruker that was well spotted and good work on our members behalf :thumbup: )
I didn't see the key you published manicd but hopefully you chose a "strong one" and not a word or phrase in common use or anything that could be found in any dictionary.....

If your thoughts are to use Mac filtering to" improve your general security" then the benefits are largely illusory.....
The main security comes from the following:
1 Restricting physical access to your computers and router/modem to authorised folks only
2 Restricting remote access to your router/modem (disable remote access management)
3 Changing default router log in password to a "strong password" (hippopotamus123 is an example of a weak password.......K!6<9+BfsL?295701836>H*= is an example of a stronger one..... the password should never be anything that can be found in any dictionary anywhere in any language.
4 Use strong encryptiom (WPA2 + a strong password and keep it secure.
5 Keep secure any documents with usernames/passwords included.
6 Keep malware off your machine, train operators to use the network safely, keep applications including Windows fully updated, with Anti virus and bi directional firewall updated at least daily.
further info here:
http://windows.micro...ork-more-secure

Inhibiting the broacast of your SSID or using MAC filtering (unless for special reasons) do not in themselves offer security that is in any way even near that obtained by the above (they are both easily defeated whereas the above steps are not !
Hope this helps
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 manicd

manicd

Advanced Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Thanks Paws :notworthy:

One more question: when I connect to my wireless network I'm not prompted for my encryption key; Is this normal?

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:17 AM

Hi manicd You're welcome :thumbup: The first time you connect by wireless you will be asked for the wireless key, but after that your computer will "remember" it and connect automatically (unless you direct it otherwise) Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate