Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Toshiba Laptop CD/DVD Drive disappeared

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesnapper

bluesnapper

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:24 AM

The CD/DVD Drive in my daughters Toshiba Laptop Satellite A210 has disappeared from the Device Manager. I expected it to be listed under CD/DVD heading but that does not exist, but under 'Other Devices' there is a yellow exclamation mark against 'ATA Device'. Could this refer to the CD/DVD Drive? The drive amber light thats sits in the tray lights up when booting up Vista. Any ideas?

Edited by bluesnapper, 22 April 2010 - 07:27 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

I tend to agree with your suspicion, the question is what happened prior to this ? Some software can cause this too happen, so have you installed anything prior to this ? I would normally right click on it and select uninstall, presumably you are able to do this ? Then reboot and let the found new hardware wizard automatically deal with it, hopefully that will sort it out, if this doesn't help then we need to dig deeper to see what clues there may be, but my hope is this will sort it, hope it helps.

Braindead

#3 bluesnapper

bluesnapper

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

I tend to agree with your suspicion, the question is what happened prior to this ?

My daughter complained that the Laptop would not do what she wanted so I came on here ( http://forums.whatth...ad_t111606.html ) and everything is working well now apart from the CD/DVD Drive. I did notice when in the process of sorting that problem out the CD/DVD Drive entry was missing.

Some software can cause this too happen, so have you installed anything prior to this ?

She installs things regularly so what may have caused this I have no idea.

I would normally right click on it and select uninstall, presumably you are able to do this ?

Then reboot and let the found new hardware wizard automatically deal with it, hopefully that will sort it out, if this doesn't help then we need to dig deeper to see what clues there may be, but my hope is this will sort it, hope it helps.

Do you want me to delete where the yellow exclalmation mark points to ATA DEVICE?

Edited by bluesnapper, 22 April 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I can only assume that the infection corrupted the system, and has upset the optical drives entries etc, if this is all that is wrong, then I would hope a simple uninstall of the drive, then reboot and allow the found new hardware wizard to install it again, hopefully this will reset everything, but it certainly can't hurt to try, so you wont "delete" anything as such, but if the conflict you are seeing is in the device manager, then right click on that entry and select uninstall, once done reboot (it may ask if you want to reboot after this anyway) and allow the wizard to work it's magic, see if that helps. Just incase it doesn't another thing to try is reinstall the latest drivers for the system, the chipset drivers especially, but I always like too keep the drivers up to date periodically anyway, although once it gets to a certain stage they stop with new updates, but when all else fails reinstalling drivers "may" help replace any possible corruption with them, but my hope is the above will do the trick, hope it helps.

Braindead

#5 bluesnapper

bluesnapper

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

I can only assume that the infection corrupted the system, and has upset the optical drives entries etc, if this is all that is wrong, then I would hope a simple uninstall of the drive, then reboot and allow the found new hardware wizard to install it again, hopefully this will reset everything, but it certainly can't hurt to try, so you wont "delete" anything as such, but if the conflict you are seeing is in the device manager, then right click on that entry and select uninstall, once done reboot (it may ask if you want to reboot after this anyway) and allow the wizard to work it's magic, see if that helps.

Just incase it doesn't another thing to try is reinstall the latest drivers for the system, the chipset drivers especially, but I always like too keep the drivers up to date periodically anyway, although once it gets to a certain stage they stop with new updates, but when all else fails reinstalling drivers "may" help replace any possible corruption with them, but my hope is the above will do the trick, hope it helps.

I deleted the entry and rebooted.

It appears that so far so good except I cannot find drivers for it on the Toshiba site or anywhere else for that matter.

The Laptop is a Satellite A210 PSAGE running Vista and after taking out the CD/DVD drive its labelled Panasonic UJ-850.