4 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanSpice

UrbanSpice

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

Randomly, the copy\paste function stops working. It used to be every once and awhile, now it is almost constant. If I copy something in word, I can not paste it anywhere else in the document or in another program. The only way I can get it to work correctly is to restart ms word.

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Tech

• Tech Team
  • 6,848 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Good, inexpensive wine (not an oxymoron).

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi. One possibility here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886561

#3 UrbanSpice

UrbanSpice

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that is it. Today, for example: I ran the program, and at the beginning everything worked fine. I opened another program and attempted to copy text from MS to the other program. The copy\paste function suddenly stops working. The other day, I believe, it just randomly stopped working and I did not switch to another program. I did open another window of of MS and attempted to copy information from another window to the next and it stopped working.

#4 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

What version of MS Word? What Operating System? Does the problem always involve MS Word. Or, for instance, are you having difficulty with copy/paste using Windows Explorer or copy/paste with image viewers such as infranview/paint/paintshop Pro, etc. ? When you select "paste" does "anything" happen? For instance, does a place-holder (like a red box with an X) appear instead of the desired word(s) or image? If the problem "always" involved MS Word, then you may have a corrupt document template known as Normal.dot It is possible to fix most such problems by renaming Normal.dot to Normal.old Then reboot the machine. MS Office will then "create" a fresh Normal.dot which should be free of corruption. (but you will lose any special formating you may have set, and will have to re-set any special formating that you wish to use.

#5 Doug

Doug

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 10,051 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

If the problem "always" involves MS Word (Winword) then here are a couple of fix strategies:

This MS Knowledge Based article describes several general and specific fix strategies. (not all of them applicable to your problem)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005

I am recommending that you start with Re-Naming Normal.dot (about 2/3 down the page titled Global Template (Normal.dotm or Mormal.dot)

If that doesn't fix the problem then proceed with to repairing Winword with "Detect and Repair" located about 1/2 way down the page of that same article.

Please do not attempt the more specific fix strategies that involve changes to Registry, until we get a better description of the problem and additional suggested instructions are offered after any additional description you may have to offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users