Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Where's my Normal.dotm template?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:50 AM

HI There,

For some strange reason I cannot find the Normal.dotm template as I wish to alter it's default values. I have followed Word's help as below but can't find the template (or any other *.dotm template).

Change the Normal.dotm template
Any changes that you make to Normal.dotm will be applied to documents that you create in the future.

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Open.
Do one of the following:
In Windows Vista:
Click Templates, and then double-click the Normal.dotm file to open it.

In Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003:
Click Templates next to File name.

If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click All Word Templates.
To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dotm appears in the Word title bar.
Make any changes that you want to the fonts, margins, spacing, and other settings. You can use the same commands and features that you use to change a document — but remember that any changes that you make to Normal.dotm will be applied to documents that you create in the future.
When you have finished, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Save.
Note If Normal.dotm is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word automatically creates a new version (which uses the original default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new version will not include any of the customizations that you made to the version that you renamed or moved.

Related Office Online discussions

I have several templates as *.dotx format from previous versions of Word. I am using Word 2007 with Vista. It must be somewhere as I can create new docs but for some inexplicable reason they are created in a different format to that which I have previously done. HELP!!!!

Norman R

Edited by NormanR, 27 January 2010 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Have you tried a search for normal.dotm?

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 NormanR

NormanR

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:34 AM

Hello, Yes I have searched for Normal.dotm but it wasn't found. However, I have cured my problem I'm pleased to say. Thanks for your help. Regards, Norman R

#4 GMT

GMT

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

Norman R, No fairs! Please tell me what you did to fix it. I'm trying to recover a document by changing the template and I can't find Normal.dotm anywhere, nor can I create it. What did you do?? G in Montana

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:31 AM

Until NormanR posts back, have a look here:
http://arstechnica.c...hp?f=15&t=93412
Regards
paws
PS just noticed its your first visit to us.....so Welcome!, and take a while to have a good look around, there's plenty to see!

Edited by paws, 12 June 2010 - 02:33 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#6 Matisse

Matisse

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

I read an article on how to delete and restore Normal.dotm, AND where to find the Normal.dotm on your system.

The location of that folder varies in different Windows version, so the quickest way to find it is to enter this string in the search or run box in the Start Menu:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

Link to article: http://www.pcmag.com...53D5,00.asp?p=n

Hopes this helps.