Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Unable to boot in Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

hi Catbyte has referred me to this section, after having gone through numerous steps which can be reviewed at the link provided i am still experiencing the same problems.

my computer was not booting up properly, it would start up, turn off, start up..etc..today i decided to try a few things to see if i could remedy the problem. when i 1st booted up i recieved a message stating that "the system has recovered from a serious error" do i want to send a report, i do then it comes up as the report being corrupted. internet ex[plorer opens up to microfoft for the "corrupt error reporting trouble shooting"..that didnt help.
so istarted off with malwarebytes, that found a few things, then i also ran it in safe mode and it didnt find anything. afterward i continued to experience the same problem with window that states "the system has recovered from a serious error" and no matter how many times i send the report, try to send or cancel that message keeps coming uas i've stated we have went through numerous steps and now i still recieve the same error "the system has recovered from a serious error"..and now i can no longer boot in regular mode without it continuously rebooting, i also can not access the internet in safe mode which i believe has something to do with the errors you will find in the link provided on page 4 where i provided a screen shot..hope you guys/gals can figure this out..

http://forums.whatth...or_t108310.html

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Windows protects itself when it encounters certain types of errors.
It then attempts to correct the error with the simplest technique of rebooting the machine.
This does not always work.

Since the machine is automatically rebooting, you never get a chance to see what errors may be occuring.
You can change that by turning off the Windows feature that auto-restarts when encountering an error.
This will not "fix the problem" but it will allow Windows to display a blue screen with Stop and Error message details.
We may be able to gain some useful information from the blue screen error information.

Here's how to turn off auto-restart: (you can turn it back on after you are finished with this repair by reversing the same steps)

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

Reboot and “write down with paper and pencil the exact “full” error message you may be receiving if you experience a Blue Screen Error or Stop Message

Post the Error Message information into your next reply so that we can identify what next steps may be necessary
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

hi doug..i copied this from page 3 post #42. i had already disabled the auto restart. this is the message from when i did that. STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows SubSystem System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c910c900x0052dc1c) This system has been shut down another time it showed a message that was a little different, meaning the 2nd set of codes in parenthesis', actually each time that i've done it has varied slightly. should i do it again?

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

Andrew, No need to repeat what you've already accomplished. I did previously review your error code. There are several indications. I have several pages booked marked but have not yet composed a step-wise approach. I'll get to it this evening. Best Regards

#5 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

hi doug..just wondering when you will be posting instructions..

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Hi Andrew,

I apologize for dropping the ball on helping to find a solution with you.

There are several conditions that may be contributing to the problem your machine is having.

First, please let us know if you are now able to boot Windows normally, and if not are you able to boot Windows into SAFE Mode.

If you are able to boot Windows normally or into SAFE Mode, then I would like you to have a look at one specific location in your machine's registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

You will not be making any changes to your machine's registry at this time, only having a look

Please navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
In the right-window panel there is a list of items, the first one of which is "Default"

Please double-click on "Default" to open the Edit String box.
In Edit String there is a white box labeled Value Data <-- please write down, with paper and pencil the exact contents of Value Data (note: it may be empty/blank and that's OK, we just want to know)
Above Value Data there may be some information in the box lableled Value Name <-- please also write down this information.

Now look through the remaining items in the list, (which are arranged alphabetically)
Is there an item named "Value"
If there is, please double-click on "Value" to open the Edit String panel box.
Please again use pencil and paper to write down the exact contents of the Value Name and Value Data boxes the same way you did above.

Catbyte (I think) was going to have you look at this same information in Post #40 on page 3 of your work in Infections Removal
http://forums.whatth..._....html&st=30

We are doing pretty much the same thing, but doing it manually with paper and pencil.

Set your paper and pencil aside now, until you are ready to include it when you post your next reply.

Next:
Your machine Hard Drive is very nearly FULL, with only about 4 gb of FREE Space.
This condition of being so full (less than 4% FREE Space) makes it difficult for Windows to perform some of the common maintenance and diagnostic procedures we may need to perform.

Your Hard Drive needs more FREE Space, and should have at least 25% FREE Space to perform optimally.

Are there large chunks of Data, Documents, Media, Pictures and Tunes saved on your Hard Drive that could be saved/moved to DVD/CD or external Hard Drive?
Are there any programs that you have installed that you no longer use and would be willing to uninstall using Control Panel Add/Remove?
I'd particularly like you to Uninstall NetNanny, at least until the machine's problems are resolved.

You probably have already performed the task of removing Temporary and Temporary Internet Files (which are generally useful for a short period of time, and then just become extra baggage that can safely be removed.
What have you already done to remove these types of Temporary and Temporary Internet Files?

If you have gotten this far in the suggested steps, you may be able to perform the next simple and automated procedure.

If the machine can access the internet then please download and run CodeStuff Starters.
If the machine cannot access the internet and you have another one that can, please download and save CodeStuff Starters,. and then install/run CodeStuff Starters on the problem machine.
We will be able to use the information.
Here are the instructions:

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles...et/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -

• Click on File
  • Select - save as .HTML (name the report file - Startups Jan04.html)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons -- at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

The last question I have for this first post of instructions is about your Windows Installation.
Do you have the Windows XP installation CD that came with this machine?
It's possible that one didn't come with the machine.
Do you happen to have another Windows XP installation CD that is of the exact same type (Home or Pro) ?

We may need such a Windows XP installation CD for the next few steps, which will most likely include:
System File Checking

We may even need to perform a Repair Installation.... but we won't resort to that unless all other options fail.

This is quite a bit of investigation and work, all packed into one post of suggestions.
Take your time.

In your next post:

Please include the information I asked you to include from your Registry (above)
And please answer the other Questions from above.

If you get stuck, can't perform a specific suggested task, or have questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best Regards,
Doug

#7 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

hi doug..no problem..i will get to that as soon as i can (w/in next day or 2)..little busy working over time..

#8 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

hi doug sorry i took so long.. i can not boot in normal mode so i did so in safe mode, i also can't access the internet. the value data box was empty and there wasnt an entry named value when i scrolled down. i have deleted a lot of stuff and the drive is now approx 44% free. i do have the windows xp install disk. tried uploading the codestuff doc you asked for and i recieved a message that i am not allowed to upload this type of file. i had saved it as an html.

#9 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

Sorry Andrew.
I recently ran into that same issue.
Please Select - Save as Plain Text instead
You will be able to upload that to your next reply.

#10 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

no problem..here you go Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company "COMODO Internet Security",""C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Comodo\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h","Registry - Machine Run","1","COMODO Internet Security","COMODO" "ctfmon.exe","C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe","Registry - User Run","1","CTF Loader (Microsoft® Windows® Operating System)","Microsoft Corporation" "cwcptray","C:\Program Files\ContentWatch\Internet Protection\cwtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","cwtray.exe (Alta)","ContentWatch, Inc." "DWQueuedReporting",""C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t","Registry - Def User Run","1","Watson Subscriber for SENS Network Notifications","Microsoft Corporation" "GrooveMonitor",""C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"","Registry - Machine Run","1","GrooveMonitor Utility","Microsoft Corporation" "HotKeysCmds","C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","hkcmd Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation" "HTV Agent","C:\Documents and Settings\mom\My Documents\HTV\HTV.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","","" "IgfxTray","C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","igfxTray Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation" "Index Washer","C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WashIdx.exe "mom_2"","Registry - User RunOnce","1","Index.dat bleaching tool (Wash Index.dat)","Webroot Software, Inc." "IObit Security 360","C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Security 360\IStray.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","","" "KernelFaultCheck","%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k","Registry - Machine Run","1","","" "NNTray","C:\Program Files\Net Nanny\nnstart.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Net Nanny Tray Module Starter (Net Nanny 5)","Net Nanny Software International, Inc." "PDF Complete","C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Sentry for PDF (PDF Complete)","PDF Complete Inc" "Persistence","C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","persistence Module (Intel® Common User Interface)","Intel Corporation" "Recguard","C:\WINDOWS\Sminst\Recguard.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Recguard Application","" "Reminder","C:\WINDOWS\Creator\Remind_XP.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Reminder_XP (Application Reminder_XP)","" "Scheduler","C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\Scheduler.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Scheduler (Scheduler Application)","" "SetRefresh","C:\Program Files\Compaq\SetRefresh\SetRefresh.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","SetRefresh","Hewlett-Packard Company" "VEngine","C:\Program Files\Comodo\VEngine\VEngine.exe","Registry - Machine Run","1","Verification Engine","Comodo CA Ltd."

#11 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hi Andrew,

You can follow up in CodeStuff Starters by disabling the following: (remove checkmark/tick from in front of item)
GrooveMonitor
HotKeysCmds
HTV Agent
IgfxTray
NNTray
PDF Complete
Persistence
Recguard
Reminder
Scheduler
SetRefresh

The above may help reduce the load at start, but will not likely "solve" your difficulty booting normally.

More important will be to completely uninstall Net Nanny using Control Panel - Add/Remove

Next:

Please run CHECKDISK

To run the Hard Drive repair utility CHECKDISK, do the following:

Start - Run - (type)cmd - Press - Enter
At the blinking cursor (type)chkdsk /r

You will get a warning that CHECKDISK cannot run because files are in use.
OK. We knew that.
You will be invited to scheduel CHECKDISK to complete the next time you reboot your system.
Answer "y" for yes
Reboot your machine

During the Boot (startup) procedure, CHECKDISK will initiate a 5 part scan and repair routine.

I instructed for you to use the " /r " parameter instead of " /f " because " /r " includes " /f " plus it does an excellent job of attempting to recover any missing or corrupted sectors on the Hard Drive.

CHECKDISK can take a couple of hours or more depending upon the size of your Hard Drive.

After you have successfully completed CHECKDISK, your machine will reboot normally.
** You should not touch the mouse, keyboard, or interrupt CHECKDISK.
You don't have to do anything, CHKDSK will complete and then invoke the reboot to continue with loading normally.

We are not assured that your particular machine will, in fact, load normally.
You may still have the same persistent failure to boot normally problem.
But this is a step in the right direction.

Post back with observation of successful boot to normal Windows, or not.

We can then look at options to repair the Master Boot Record.

#12 andrew2009

andrew2009

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

thank you doug i will try those things. unfortunately i seem to be having a problem uninstalling NN i think that i will have to contact the company. i hope do all steps by monday the 8th

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

You may not be able to uninstall NetNanny in Safe Mode. This is true for some other software as well. Did you disable all the startup items Doug mentioned? What you could also try is to boot to Safe Mode and create a new account via Control Panel / User Accounts. Make sure it's an Administrator account, and pick a name you can live with as you may end up keeping it. Then try rebooting normally and see if you can login as the new account. If yes, that tells us the original account is corrupted. Post back with results if you get time to try this. Doug or I or one of the other techs here can then help you to copy all your data from the old, corrupted account to the new one if that turns out to be the problem.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown