Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

XP drivers for hp dv9700 laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 otunbafadeyi

otunbafadeyi

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

i have just downgraded my HP DV9700 laptop from Vista to win XP. Now I'm missing drivers such as ethernet controller and base system device. Actually there are 3 sets of base system device missing in the device manager. Please can anyone help me thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 biyouboogie

biyouboogie

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:43 Years of computer experience including Mainframe, Mini, SuperMini, Clusters, PC and Macintosh systems.

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

You can get the drivers from www.hp.com You will need to do this from another computer that has a working Internet connection. Select SUPPORT from the list of available areas on the web page. Next, look on the left side of the page for "Download Software and Drivers" Follow that link and enter your Service Tag number, or select the model of your PC (Pavilion DV9700 (notebook)) You will be asked to verify the type of PC, and then you will be taken to the "downloads" screen. All of the drivers for your hardware, and some HP software will be listed in sections. Choose the appropriate hardware for your system and download the installation files to the computer. Save the files to a thumb drive and copy them to the notebook. Extract the files and install the drivers for the Ethernet first. I always get the Ethernet driver and/or Wireless driver first. Once I have that, I load the driver on the system that needs all of the drivers. Now, do the same exact thing on the notebook, and download the rest of the drivers to the notebook hard drive. It doesn't hurt to also get the suggested chipset updates. If your system has an AMD CPU, then you will be getting the ATI video drivers. If it's an Intel CPU, you'll most likely get the nVidia or Intel video drivers. Same with the Ethernet. AMD will most likely have a Broadcom Ethernet, and Intel will most likely have an Intel or RealTek Ethernet. Run the downloaded files (which will extract and install drivers) on the notebook PC. Make sure you get the drivers for every piece of hardware. Don't skip MODEM, Sound, Video, etc. You'll need them all. If the DV9700 has a wireless device, make sure you download the wireless drivers too. Sometimes there are multiple choices. If at first the driver you select does not work, try the next one in the list until you finally get the right driver. It's a bit time consuming, but worth it after everything works correctly. One note. There are some devices on the newer notebooks that never had XP drivers. If this is the case, try looking for the driver at the web site for the manufacturer of the hardware. Look for ATI video drivers at ATI.com, nVidia video drivers at nVidia.com, etc. Ethernet could be Broadcom, Intel, etc. You'll just have to try them all until you select the right ones. If the installation of the drivers fails because the hardware can not be found, then try the next one in the list of available drivers. I hope this helps you understand what you need to do. And.... ONE FINAL NOTE. I am NOT a fan of Vista, but I have loaded Windows 7 on several notebooks and desktops and am VERY impressed and satisfied with Windows 7. You might want to try that instead of downgrading. XP will soon not be supported by Microsoft, so think about it before you make the final decision to downgrade. Later gator.

#3 Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:39 AM

I know its kind of weird to hijack an old thread, but Im having a similar issue. Thing is all the drivers im transferring from the computer with internet to the computer without the drivers, the computer just isn't taking to any of the drivers.

It's so strange, i install them and what not, but then i go back to the device manager and they remain with "?!" markers on them, i go to update them and it'll eventually give me an error saying that it couldn't find the hardware to install the software.

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000, and i basically did this same thing, didn't want vista, and i installed xp home edition. But i dont have my drivers backed up, so i downloaded them from the internet on a different computer from the manufacturers webstite. Do you have any idea why my computer wouldn't be taking to the drivers?

oh and btw, here's a link to a post where i may have spoken more in depth about my issue:

http://forums.whatth...ue_t110462.html

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with this issue.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Hi try copying the drivers to a folder on your hard drive and installing them from Device Manager Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

So what I first do usually is: Grab them from my phone Copy them to a file located on my computer Double click the setup.exe and load the install wizard. Then I check device manager after they've "Installed" and it'll still read "?!" Then I'd try to click on them and reinstall from there, and it'll give me the error, after going throught a few windows "Wizard cannot find hardware to install this software"

#6 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

Hi Vaudevillian. Chances are you did not look up the right model number of your laptop. It might say DV6000 in the upper right hand corner of your screen, but you need to look on the bottom of your notebook where it will have the REAL model number and it will be something more like DV6478US. This is what you need to type in to find the right drivers for your laptop. DV6000 is just the series of your laptop. By the way, make sure you install the BIOS firmware update for this laptop. THe DV6000 is one of the many series of laptops that have a major design flaw with the motherboard where you might end up with multiple problems. Either no wireless internet, no POST, or weird lines and characters on the screen. The BIOS update will attempt to keep your laptop running a little cooler and prevent the problem but it is just bandaid. ALWAYS keep this particular series of laptop as cool as possible.

Edited by appleoddity, 25 February 2010 - 11:43 PM.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#7 Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thank you so much, let me go ahead and get to that :D

#8 Vaudevillian

Vaudevillian

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

I love you. I can't believe it was that easy.