Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Scan Soft OmniPage SE4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 UncleRafter

UncleRafter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

I used Corel Paint Shop Pro X for about a year with no problem. Then, all of a sudden, every time I tried to open it, a window popped up saying ti was installing ScanSoftOmniPageSE4. Once it was "done," it informed me that ScanSoft OPSE4 was on a disk and I had to insert the disk. [HUH????} I have no disk with this on it. To cancel this ScanSoft window I have to click on cancel 5 or 6 times, go through a couple of other windows popping up telling me it's loading, and cancel each one of those.

Is ScanSoft something I need? If so, why was I able to use Corel for almost a year without needing to install ScanSoft?

Please advise....anyone.

Thank you,

UncleRafter

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

ScanSoft OPSE4 is an OCR utility (Optical Character Recognition) that some folks use when they scan a paper copy of a document. ScanSoft "assists" (but invariably makes errors) with converting the paper copy to an editable file form that will allow you to use your word processing application to make changes to the document. You can "turn it off" or "disable" it from starting. Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter Select the Startups(tab) Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of ScanSoft items Press - Apply - Press OK - Press Close Reply "Yes" that you want your machine to reboot at this time. The machine will reboot. You will get a one-time nag screen that "changes have been made in System Configuration" But we know that, because that's what we just did. Put a checkmark/tick into "don't show this warning to me again" Your machine should henceforth start without popping the warning screen about ScanSoft OPSE4 Let us know how this works for you. Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 UncleRafter

UncleRafter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it right now. I will let you know how it works.
UncleRafter

ScanSoft OPSE4 is an OCR utility (Optical Character Recognition) that some folks use when they scan a paper copy of a document.

ScanSoft "assists" (but invariably makes errors) with converting the paper copy to an editable file form that will allow you to use your word processing application to make changes to the document.

You can "turn it off" or "disable" it from starting.

Start - Run - (type)MSCONFIG - Enter
Select the Startups(tab)
Remove the checkmark/tick from in front of ScanSoft items
Press - Apply - Press OK - Press Close
Reply "Yes" that you want your machine to reboot at this time.

The machine will reboot.
You will get a one-time nag screen that "changes have been made in System Configuration"
But we know that, because that's what we just did.
Put a checkmark/tick into "don't show this warning to me again"

Your machine should henceforth start without popping the warning screen about ScanSoft OPSE4

Let us know how this works for you.

Best Regards

#4 UncleRafter

UncleRafter

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

I have done what you suggested: Below [I hope], or attached is a screen shot of the screen you advised me to get to. I can find no ScanSoft items there to uncheck...

Help???

UncleRafter

Attached Files

#5 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, too small for me to read.

Let's try it another way

Please consider running this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active, or not.

CodeStuff-Starters
http://www.snapfiles...et/Starter.html

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
  • Click on File
  • Select - save as .HTML (name the report file - Startups Nov22.html)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons -- at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply)

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.