Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Just got Windows 7. Can't connect to my wireless network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RPinney

RPinney

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hi, As the topic goes, I cannot connect to my wireless network on windows 7. I am using a Belkin Wireless G USB adapter via my desktop, to connect to my wireless router on the other side of the house. This was no problem when windows xp was installed previously. I have tried downloading and installing the driver for the device (successfully), yet it still refuses to work. It will identify the network, and try to connect. The best it can do is "Limited Access" which in other words, means no access because it will go straight "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". I went to device manager and looked at the Network Adapters. The "Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter" shows and in properties it claims that it is working fine. Why will this not work? Also, I have tried getting it to work in windows xp mode. Nothing. The model number is F5D7050 v5000. And I am pretty sure that I have the right drivers as I tried a bunch... Suggestions? Thanks

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

This is usually caused because you have wireless encryption turned on and you have entered an incorrect passphrase. Thus, it will connect but only with "limited connectivity." Please verify the passphrase and try again or turn off wireless encryption until you are able to successfully connect.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#3 RPinney

RPinney

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

How do I verify the pass phrase? I am pretty sure I entered the correct WEP code or whatever it is. But I don't rememember entering in a pass phrase. I might know the pass phrase if I can get to where I enter it in.

#4 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 03:31 PM

The WEP code is the "passphrase." It is programmed into the router, and you need to look at the manual for the model router that you have to find out that information. If Windows7 is prompting for a "pin number," you are in the wrong place. That is not where the WEP code goes, you need to select the option to enter a code manually.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.

#5 RPinney

RPinney

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

Then it should be connecting. I entered the WEP code already. hmm...I'm not sure what to do

Edited by RPinney, 26 October 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

What do you see in Manage Wireless Networks? (Click on Start and enter wireless (no enter) then select Manage Wireless Networks)

I don't have Windows 7 on my laptop so I'm just tossing out ideas to look at. I run it on my Dsktop but I don't have Wireless there so can't see what it should be on a working system.

Some good tips here: http://forums.techar...aks/1148200.htm

Also, open a command prompt and enter: netsh wlan show all > netsh.txt

Upload netsh.txt here as an attachment so we can look at it. Use the buttons below the message input area to Browse to the file then Upload it. Once uploaded, click on Manage Current Attachments then click on the first small icon. That will place a link to your uploaded file in your reply. We can then download it to look at it.

One last thing. There are several version of the Belkin Wireless G USB adapter, which one do you have?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#7 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

RPinney, I trust that you entered the WEP code, but I need you to understand just how complicated a WEP code is. That's one of the reasons why I much prefer the more secure WPA. WEP codes are long and tedious and are very, very easy to type in or write down wrong. The problem you are talking about is almost always an incorrect WEP code that has been entered. You must make absolutely sure you are typing in the right code. To do so, you should connect to your router's web based management console, look up the type of encryption it is using and verify you have the right code. Then double check it again. EDIT: A good test to see if you have the right code. Go to a different computer, disconnect from the wireless network then reconnect which should prompt you for the code. Type in the code you think it is and see if you can successfully connect again with another computer.

Edited by appleoddity, 27 October 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#8 RPinney

RPinney

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:58 PM

What do you see in Manage Wireless Networks? (Click on Start and enter wireless (no enter) then select Manage Wireless Networks)

I don't have Windows 7 on my laptop so I'm just tossing out ideas to look at. I run it on my Dsktop but I don't have Wireless there so can't see what it should be on a working system.

Some good tips here: http://forums.techar...aks/1148200.htm

Also, open a command prompt and enter: netsh wlan show all > netsh.txt

Upload netsh.txt here as an attachment so we can look at it. Use the buttons below the message input area to Browse to the file then Upload it. Once uploaded, click on Manage Current Attachments then click on the first small icon. That will place a link to your uploaded file in your reply. We can then download it to look at it.

One last thing. There are several version of the Belkin Wireless G USB adapter, which one do you have?

In manage wireless networks I see this
Posted Image

Also how do I open a command prompt?

I think I said in the original post what my wireless adapter version is, but anyways it is the F5D7050 v5000

#9 RPinney

RPinney

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

RPinney, I trust that you entered the WEP code, but I need you to understand just how complicated a WEP code is. That's one of the reasons why I much prefer the more secure WPA. WEP codes are long and tedious and are very, very easy to type in or write down wrong.

The problem you are talking about is almost always an incorrect WEP code that has been entered. You must make absolutely sure you are typing in the right code. To do so, you should connect to your router's web based management console, look up the type of encryption it is using and verify you have the right code. Then double check it again.

EDIT: A good test to see if you have the right code. Go to a different computer, disconnect from the wireless network then reconnect which should prompt you for the code. Type in the code you think it is and see if you can successfully connect again with another computer.

edit: You were right it was 1 digit incorrect. Someone else wrote the code down and I they wrote a 6 that looked like a 0.

Thanks, it works now :D

Edited by RPinney, 28 October 2009 - 08:08 PM.