Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java Setup Problem

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#31 carolyn.x

carolyn.x

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:56 AM

If you have been having problems with Java, and you have followed some of the instructions on the forums you may find that you no longer can get Java to install because of an error.

When you attempt to run the java installer file you receive the message:

This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?

When you click Yes to the above question you receive the error:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

This problem is caused because the Windows Installer information for a previous installation of Java has been removed or damaged, but the related registry keys are still present causing the Java installer to think it is already installed.

This problem can be caused if you used the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" to remove the Java™ entries without first uninstalling Java properly.

To fix this problem you must remove the two places in the registry that the Java installer looks at in order to determine if it is already installed. By removing these entries, the Java installer will begin a new installation instead of attempting to repair the old corrupt installation.

Updated Feb. 26th, 2010 -- Created a universal fix for all versions of Java 6

This problem is confirmed in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Because the registry keys that need to be removed are different for each version of Java, I have created a batch file you can download to find and remove the entries automatically.

Here's how to fix Java:
  • If you are able, uninstall all previous versions of Java in add/remove programs in your control panel.
  • Next, you may download the current version of Java here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    I recommend that you use the offline installer version.
  • Now, download the fix:

Open the fixjava.zip file, extract and run the file fixjava.bat . If you are using Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you must right-click the fixjava.bat file and choose "Run As Administrator". If you do not see the run as administrator option, drag the fixjava.bat file to your desktop and then try to run as administrator from there.
    The batch file will run briefly without confirmation.

• You may now install Java without any errors about it already being installed.

The contents of the batch file are listed below:
reg query hklm\software\classes\installer\products /f "java(tm) 6" /s | find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > deljava.txt
for /f "tokens=* delims= " %%a in (deljava.txt) do reg delete %%a /f
del deljava.txt
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f

This fix will work on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Java 6 runtime environment.

If you have any further issues please post a reply in this thread.

Thanks for the fixjava zip . . . I have been trying for weeks to fix it and now it is working perfectly.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#32 eth38

eth38

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

Didn't work for me.

#33 inzanity

inzanity

♠♠lost♠♠

• Malware Team
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Hi eth38 and :welcome:,

Your java problem might not just be it. It may be related to other software installed on your computer.

It would be best if you could create a new topic at the Microsoft Windows™ section of the forum.
Please read this article before creating a new topic as it would greatly help our Tech Team in determining your problem. Thank you.

Proud graduate of WTT Classroom

The help we provide here is free, however, if you wish to donate, you can do so here: http://www.whatthetech.com/donate/

ASAP and UNITE member

!

#34 eth38

eth38

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

Don't worry, I managed to fix with a System Restore in Safe Mode - I had been trying it previously without it being in Safe Mode but that didn't work. Thanks anyway :D

#35 RiTzY Da BaKsI

RiTzY Da BaKsI

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

:pullhair: I did it and it gave me an error message in a cmd box and it quickly dissapears and then I tried installing it again using the offline installer but it didn't work please help and if you have teamviewer can you help?

#36 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Hello Ritzy. I do apologize about the problem you are experiencing.

The newest batch file I uploaded was written to be more comprehensive and work on all different versions of Java. However, I did not realize at the time that it used some command line switches on the REG command that only work on Vista and Windows 7. If you have windows XP it gives an error. This is a problem I have been meaning to fix for a long time now.

I have an actual program I wrote to perform the procedure on all versions of Windows but have not had time to make it available to the public.

In the meantime, you can fix the problem you are experiencing by first downloading and installing the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I just learned Microsoft has removed this product from its download center and so I provided a link to a different site hosting the file. Run the windows installer cleanup utility and remove the Java runtime entries that you see listed.

Then, you can run my batch file, even though it gives an error, the relevant part will work. This will fix your problem.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#37 james nigh

james nigh

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

If you have been having problems with Java, and you have followed some of the instructions on the forums you may find that you no longer can get Java to install because of an error.

When you attempt to run the java installer file you receive the message:

This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?

When you click Yes to the above question you receive the error:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

This problem is caused because the Windows Installer information for a previous installation of Java has been removed or damaged, but the related registry keys are still present causing the Java installer to think it is already installed.

This problem can be caused if you used the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" to remove the Java™ entries without first uninstalling Java properly.

To fix this problem you must remove the two places in the registry that the Java installer looks at in order to determine if it is already installed. By removing these entries, the Java installer will begin a new installation instead of attempting to repair the old corrupt installation.

Updated Feb. 26th, 2010 -- Created a universal fix for all versions of Java 6

This problem is confirmed in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Because the registry keys that need to be removed are different for each version of Java, I have created a batch file you can download to find and remove the entries automatically.

Here's how to fix Java:
  • If you are able, uninstall all previous versions of Java in add/remove programs in your control panel.
  • Next, you may download the current version of Java here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    I recommend that you use the offline installer version.
  • Now, download the fix:

Open the fixjava.zip file, extract and run the file fixjava.bat . If you are using Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you must right-click the fixjava.bat file and choose "Run As Administrator". If you do not see the run as administrator option, drag the fixjava.bat file to your desktop and then try to run as administrator from there.
    The batch file will run briefly without confirmation.

• You may now install Java without any errors about it already being installed.

The contents of the batch file are listed below:
reg query hklm\software\classes\installer\products /f "java(tm) 6" /s | find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > deljava.txt
for /f "tokens=* delims= " %%a in (deljava.txt) do reg delete %%a /f
del deljava.txt
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f

This fix will work on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Java 6 runtime environment.

If you have any further issues please post a reply in this thread.

i keep getting "FIND: invalid switch" with this.
any ideas?
perhaps i should just run fixjava.bat... where do i get fixjava.zip?

Edited by james nigh, 06 July 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#38 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hi

perhaps i should just run fixjava.bat... where do i get fixjava.zip?

Yes I think this is what appleoddity means you to do...(the code was only provided for information)
The link to the fixjava.zip is in the first post from appleoddity in this topic.
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#39 free_spirit_etc

free_spirit_etc

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

Thanks! I tried using this, but I am still getting the error message 2753 regutils.dll when I try to install Java. I also tried installing with the firewall and antivirus turned off. I was referred to this thread from thread http://forums.whatth...howtopic=113752
Think Outside The Box

#40 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

HI Free_spirit. Please continue on your previous thread, as this thread pertains to a problem different from what you are experiencing.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#41 kjamesr

kjamesr

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Had this problem for weeks and this recommended solution *worked* for me. Much appreciated!

#42 Jo Jordan

Jo Jordan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Gee, I hope this is in the write place. I spent 3 days and nights working on this and your solution worked like a charm. Thanks. I'd add only one thing The download can be so slow that it looks as if it is not working If we retry we will get error1722 again. Then ages later up pops a box and the install is done in 30 sec. Many thanks.

#43 suzannaski

suzannaski

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

This fix did not work for me. I followed the instrcuctions even though I did not get the error messages listed. What I get is in the control panel, in java->advanced->default browser for java, IE is grayed out. And obviously java is not working in IE8. I am pulling my hair out because I've been following every trouble shooting instruction on the web and nothing is working, not even this one.

#44 LDTate

LDTate

Grand Poobah

• Root Admin
  • 57,211 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

This fix did not work for me. I followed the instrcuctions even though I did not get the error messages listed. What I get is in the control panel, in java->advanced->default browser for java, IE is grayed out. And obviously java is not working in IE8. I am pulling my hair out because I've been following every trouble shooting instruction on the web and nothing is working, not even this one.

It worked.
http://forums.whatth...mp;#entry681068

The forum is run by volunteers who donate their time and expertise.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Logs will be closed if you haven't replied within 3 days

If you would like to paypal.gif for the help you received.

Proud graduate of TC/WTT Classroom

#45 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

LDT, Thank you for the kindness of linking to the OP's successful use of Appleoddity's fine solution. Much Appreciated. Doug
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.