Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How To Check Wireless Card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts
  • Interests:Serving the Lord and Riding motorcycles and computers.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:01 PM

I have asked a local tech here in town on how or is their a way to check the wireless network card in a labtop before going through the hassle of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows xp, only to find out the network card is still not working. I did this before on another labtop only to find out after reinstalling Windows the wireless network card still does not work. Hate to do this again and get the same results. From this tech all I get is well if you cannot connect, format the hard drive and reinstall windows, and if it still does not work, then must be a bad card. The wireless card sees all the wireless networks in the area alone with mine, it connects to mine, but thats it, cannot see the internet. Thought it was IE and tryed installing Mozilla and same thing. Ran Ad-Aware, Spybot, Anti malware, Remove it pro, AVG, AFT, CCleaner and nothing is detected, even ran Smithfraud and Vundofix. Kinda at a lost of a another way to check it. The system is a dell inspiron 6000 with windows xp.

Edited by Jimbo1, 25 June 2009 - 01:08 PM.

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

some random thoughts in no special order, start with the ipconfig. check the hardware using device manager, under network adapters. determine the card vendor and check there website for troubleshooting. check the Dell Support web site under drivers and downloads for a diagnostic utility for the card. you might also try uninstalling and re- installing the driver for the card. check Windows Wireless zero config. service and disable it to let the cards software manage the connection. try pinging your router and a web address. last, go to start>run and type in cmd click ok or enter at the cursor_ copy paste whats below and click ok, post the output located a C: ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
How Can I Reduce My Risk?

#3 appleoddity

appleoddity

SuperMember

• Tech Team
  • 3,071 posts
  • Interests:Eating, Movies, Family, Church, Music, Volleyball, Softball, Poker, Computers, Electronics, Reading.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

If the wireless card is connecting, it is not your wireless card. Or, at least, I have never seen a situation where the card would connect but it was still bad. However, it could be that you have the wrong passphrase typed in, and you are not getting an IP address because of it. If you have wireless encryption turned on this could be quite possible. Please follow the instructions above about posting the output of the ipconfig command. That will tell the story.

The help you have been given is free. If you have been happy with our help please consider donating to support this forum.

If you would like to say thanks for the help I have given you please View My Profile and Leave a Comment.
Your encouragement is welcome.

#4 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

Weird again I am new of trying to learn and trouble shoot netowking problems. here's what happen. 1.check Windows Wireless zero config. service and disable it to let the cards software manage the connection Did that, I seen this a lot on Dell's Systems and Acers also but they have utility programs that wants to control alone with windows. But I did let dell take over -- nadda same results. 2. check the Dell Support web site under drivers and downloads for a diagnostic utility for the card. you might also try uninstalling and re- installing the driver for the card. Was going to do this as last resort. 3. check the hardware using device manager, under network adapters. determine the card vendor and check there website for troubleshooting. Did and windows reported working fine, but no go of getting to the net. Here is the weird part, before going to the last option #2 and doing what you asked I ping a address that was showing up for the card, and after that tryed loading IE and presto it connected to the net. Shakes head :scratch: very strange this happen. Now I am lost of learning of what could have happen, strange. Like I said a few times in the past I have ran into this problem with a wireless network card saing connected, but thats the futher it goes, twice I formatted the system and got the same results and this is why I am leary of formatting a hard drive due to problems like this. This is why I am asking of a sure fire way of testing the cards before resorting to something like a wipe of the system. I am still puzzle as of why it started working, mabey it was the dell's utiltiy config messed up or is their such a thing as network plug (Traffic Jam if ya want to call it that) that could cause a problem. As of right now downloading and surfing the net on the labtop, so far so good. If you may have more insites of what could cause problems like this would like to hear of more, thanks.

May your day be blessed by those you love and those you love be blessed by HIM ;-)

#5 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

wireless connections can be kind of flaky. Really a process of ruling things out and trying to narrow it down. While you have it working it would be helpful for future reference to run ipconfig and save the .txt file. If it dosnt work at some point run ipconfig again to compare the two results. May provide some clues.

#6 Jimbo1

Jimbo1

Preacher / Computer Tech

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

wireless connections can be kind of flaky. Really a process of ruling things out and trying to narrow it down. While you have it working it would be helpful for future reference to run ipconfig and save the .txt file. If it dosnt work at some point run ipconfig again to compare the two results. May provide some clues.

Ah never thought of doing something like that, it like having a bak file to look at then something goes nuts or wants to be a pain in the you know what.

#7 shelf life

shelf life

SuperMember

• Visiting Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,191 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:32 PM

Yes a file to look at that would provide useful information, then that could be compared to the ipconfig output when it wasnt working.