Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Browser will not open many websites?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sophie Miller

Sophie Miller

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have 4 computers in my home network and DSL Service. All computers used to be able to pull up any website in the past, but over the last several months, three computers (XP or XP Professional) can no longer open many websites. One computer can (also XP Professional SP2 running IE7). Tried shutting down the one XP Pro box that can connect and just started one that is having trouble and no difference. Have tried many diagnostics from other websites (disabled startup services, used MSCONFIG to disable all services but essential and DHCP, disabled IE addons, ran in safe mode with networking, rebooted DSL modem and LinkSys Firewall Router, nothing seems to help. Can open sites like CNN.com, FoxNews.com, DrudgeReport.com, Target.com, Lowes.com Can't open Walmart.com, MicroSoft.com - after a long time (several minutes), get the generic "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" Have also tried installing Chrome from Google on one machine and it does the same thing (same sites can't be opened) Did try to install Oracle 10g on two of the problem computers and had to install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter, but since disable the Microsoft Loopback Adapter. The one computer I am also having trouble on I never tried to install Oracle 10g (it is a XP Standard Edition computer). When run "Network Diagnostics", Under "Modems and Network Adapters" lists Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller, shows as "FAILED" under section "WINSPrimaryServer = 0.0.1.1 "Request timed out. Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4) I have completely run out of things to try or ideas - any help would be appreciated. Sophie

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi Sophie, sorry to hear about your problems.

The first thing I'd like you to try is download and run Dial-A-Fix from LunarSoft.

Click on the double green check marks at the bottom (selects all) then click the GO button. Wait till it completes, then close it, reboot and see how things are.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Sophie Miller

Sophie Miller

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:23 PM

Rich - Ran Dial-A-Fix and it completed, rebooted, same symptoms with IE7 not able to open many websites. Any ideas for a next step? More Info: I run McAfee (also tried completely disabling McAfee and same symptoms). Thanks for your help. Sophie

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

It sounds like a block of some kind, but this is made more confusing by having a network (I am not used to working with these), so I will approach it as an individual problem for 1 PC, then if you can apply these thoughts to each system if required to see if it helps, so if this works for 1 system then it's a fair assumption it will work for all, but sod's law is a right swine lol. Now my 1st response would be to isolate where the issue is, so are you able to take any of the troubled systems and connect it directly to the net ? I basically want to see where the issue may lie, if a troubled PC works fine on a direct connection then the issue is in your network somewhere, if it still refuses to play nice then I would try resetting the security settings to the default for that system, this is not an ideal solution, but it is the fastest way I can think of to reset any areas that may affect the connection, if the system is OK after this repeat on the others and see if it helps. Now to reset this click on the Tools option at the top menu, if this menu is not showing press the alt button next to the space bar, it will make the menu show for that time, now select the bottom option which is Internet Options, now the window that opens select the Security tab, and at the bottom of that you will see a Reset all zones to default level, click that and allow\accept any warnings, what this will do is undo any changes made to the various restrictions, so if something was added to the prohibited list by accident or something then hopefully it will reset that and allow you back again, if this still doesn't work then I start to wonder about other possible causes. Should you still have problems after this (which seeing as a different browser is still the same result I fear it may be), what scans if any have you run ? But this is mainly if you still have the same issues after trying a direct connection with a troubled system, and by direct I mean take a troubled system (the tower) and swap it with the one used at the main source, so you would need to shut that system down, and use that systems monitor\mouse\keyboard to minimise how much kit you need to move, because plugging directly into the Ethernet on the troubled system my hope is it will show if the problem is on the actual system or in the network as I explained above albeit in brief. Another last ditch silly thought, TBH sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest lol, unplug the mains from the router for a minute then plug it back in, this will reboot the router, so if it is a silly thing blocking it this will hopefully release that so it would work again, see if any of this helps and feel free to come back if your still stuck with the results from this, hope it helps though.

Braindead

#5 Sophie Miller

Sophie Miller

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Rich - I really don't have what you would call a "functioning" network, just 4 computers connected to a DSL router via a LinkSys Firewall Router to allow all 4 computers to use the DSL modem simultaneously. Only one of the compters can open all websites, the other three are having the described issue. I tried disconnecting the network cable (attached to the LinkSys) from the computer which is not having any trouble and attaching it to one of the computers having trouble, rebooted, and still having same symptom. Also went to Internet Options (Security) of IE7 and "reset all zones to default level" and rebooted and had no effect. Also again tried disconnecting the power to the DSL model and LinkSys Firewall Router and re-powering with no effect. I was trying earlier this morning to eliminate issues and removed JRE, whcih was set to a more advanced version (which did not help), so I just tonight re-installed to Java JRE 1.6.0 and the Internet Options (Advanced) has the JRE 1.6.0_13 selected. I run McAfee and have run a full scan and nothing found. What might be a next step to take? Any advice would be appreciated, as I have exhaused my bag of tricks. Sophie

#6 8210GUY

8210GUY

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Interests:Hoping to die.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:36 AM

Well if you have taken a troubled system direct to the net rather than going through it's current connection with no change then I am at a loss, to get the same issue on more than one system is freaky, unless they are blocked at the source, but taking a system direct to the net rather than through it's current configuration should rule out any issue with the router blocking it I'd of thought. TBH this is getting out of my depth here, it is an area where I would stumble around trying to provoke reactions\clues as to what may be gong on, but as I can't see what you see I may miss some slight thing that may offer such a clue, so you will need to keep your eyes open and use common sense with what you see then hopefully we can find a cure to this. Now I can only think of 2 things that could be affecting this, thats an infection, or a firewall in some shape or form, the fact it's more than 1 PC suggests it's more likely some kind of firewall issue, but it doesn't mean infection can be ruled out, so out of interest have you run any scans at all ? The settings for the router(s) or on the PC to connect to them is the more likely problem, and this is where I start to stumble around, so I hope I can be clear enough for you to follow here. Lets start with the simplest setting, right click on the connection icon (the TV's flashing by the clock) and select Open Network Connections, this will open a window which will list ALL your connection points, so there could be 3 or 4 devices listed depending on your set up, right click on each icon (one at a time) and select properties, I suggest starting with the one currently connected which should be obvious when you see them as thats the problem one, with the properties window open scroll down (if needed) until you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), now double click on that to open it's settings, there are 2 halves, in the top half make sure Obtain IP Address Automatically is checked, and while we are there I would set the bottom half to the following DNS servers, it will be a security blanket that stops you accessing known bad sites (the serious ones), so under Preferred DNS server enter 208-67-222-222, now against Alternate DNS server enter 208-67-220-220 and OK\exit from that, now repeat with each other connection listed (not the 1394 one if you have that showing). Try the connection now, more so if the settings were other than what I have mentioned here, but not sure about clearing cache or anything if that may be required to clear the old settings, as I say I am a little out of my depth here, another quick and easy test, follow the previous advice to reset the security zones, but this time don't touch the default button, instead highlight the Trusted Sites (a green check mark icon) and click on Sites which will become click-able after the icon is highlighted, in there type one of the problem sites (eg Walmart) address into the box, uncheck the Require Server Authentication at the bottom then click Add, if you don't uncheck the box it will not accept the site unless it is an HTTPS site, save\exit and try going to that site, see what happens there. Are you running a software firewall ? Can't hurt to have a look through that to see if anything is blocked, a more extreme option is to hard reset the router(s) to factory state, but you will need to be aware of any settings you may need, user name\password and the like, in my experience it normally doesn't need this, but not know your specific connection I can't be sure if there is a freak issue I don't know about, so if in doubt don't do this, we need to keep you with a connection to try and get this sorted, but if your comfortable to try then in each router you will find a small pin hole type thing, using a Biro or similar unplug from the mains then press and hold this button for 30 seconds or so, now power it up again and see what that brings. Try these suggestions and report back with the results, the next step if required will be logging into the router(s) directly and checking out the settings in there, but I am hoping something within this will help, good luck.

Braindead