Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Wireless keyboard not working but mouse is.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixarizona

phoenixarizona

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

I hope this is the right place for this topic...apologies in advance if it's not! I have a Pcline WOD1 wireless keyboard and mouse. The mouse worked straight away but the keyboard has not worked at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. When i troubleshoot it, my pc says 'this device is working properly'. I previously had a wireless Microsoft keyboard and mouse that worked perfectly for a year and then the keyboard also stopped working but the mouse was fine and i went back to the wired set up. I've pressed the connect buttons on the USB receiver, the keyboard and the mouse in a variety of sequences but to no avail. It seems that I can only use a wired keyboard! I have a Windows Xp, 3ghz, Dell with Service Pack 3. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to resolve this, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you!

Edited by phoenixarizona, 19 April 2009 - 02:38 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Have you tried switching to a different USB connections for where you plug in the sensor?
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hello phoenixarizona,

You posted in the perfect place.

I have searched this model for some support documentation but unfortunately I find nothing. Just retailers of said hardware.

I find it very strange that two keyboards have presented the same behavior.

Did any software come with this setup? Any drivers? Any special install instructions?

One thing you might try is start your computer with a wired mouse and keyboard with the wireless USB receiver removed.

Then disconnect your wired mouse and keyboard and plug in your wireless USB receiver. See what happens.

You might also please indicate your exact Dell model so we can look up Dell drivers if necessary.

Hopefully we can find a solution for you.

#4 phoenixarizona

phoenixarizona

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:56 AM

Hi there, Thanks for your replies. I've tried 3 USB ports but makes no difference. I can use those ports for other items without any problems. I have a: Dell DImension 4700 Pentium 4, 3ghz 2.75gb RAM It's a cheap model keyboard from PC World. A friend bought the same one and had no problems so I did too! There was no software. It said plug in the receiver and it should work. I've tried booting up with the wired setup and then switching but no difference but I can try again. Thanks for all your help, Much appreciated.

#5 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

I've tried booting up with the wired setup and then switching but no difference but I can try again.

If the wired version is USB Keyboard that is possible but not recommended.
If it is a PS/2 connector.... it is "definitely" not recommended that you "hot swap" (plug or unplug a PS/2 connector with the machine on)

#6 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:06 AM

What's the situation with batteries. weak/dead/dying batteries will produce this problem. Batteries that have been jostled out of place can produce this problem.

#7 phoenixarizona

phoenixarizona

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

I tried reinstalling it but no luck. The batteries were new and I tried a few different ones too. I went back to my old microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse, reinstalled everything, downloaded new drivers for keyboard and mouse and now it works! I guess with the new keyboard, i couldn't find any new drivers or something.... but what do i know lol But thanks for all your help, this place is fantastic and you are all really helpful. Quick responses and lots of suggestions. Thanks again guys :-)

#8 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:07 PM

Thank you for the update! Glad all is well. Please let us know if we can help further in the future.

#9 donyd

donyd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:29 AM

I bought the same device PCL-WOD1 wireless keyboard and mouse from PC World/Curry and everything worked fine when I brought it home. But, after two days the keyboard stopped working although the mouse was fine. My girlfriend accidentally kicked the keyboard from the side of the couch it was leaning against a day before. I don't know if that was the reason or not, but it was a light drop and nothing else happened that should've made it non-functional. I tried changing different batteries and nothing worked. I thought I'd try with a fresh pair later on. So until then I just used my wired keyboard and wireless mouse. Just before I wanted to take it back to the store, I just plugged it in and voila, it starts working again. I didn't want to take it back because I couldn't find the receipt and it was an hours bus ride away. I really don't know why it stopped and why it started again. I didn't have any updates or anything else since it stopped and started working. Just hope it keeps working for the foreseeable future.

#10 gmmas

gmmas

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

I had the same problem and could not find any answers on the internet but have now managed to fix this problem on my keyboard by doing the following I opened up the keyboard by removing all the small screws on the back of the keyboard and removed the touch membranes and unscrewed the clamp and removed the flexible circuit board. I unscrewed the small circuit board, turned it over and replaced the batteries. The red led lit up for a second and then went out. I did not find any thing that looked wrong except for one of the hotkeys which was partially jammed. I reassembled everything making sure all the loose hotkeys were correctly in place. I replaced the batteries and the keyboard has worked ever since. My guess is that the jammed hotkey was the problem but it may be that by taking apart and reassembling everything any loose connection was fixed. Either way 20 minutes work saved me from having to buy a new keyboard

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 ben-jamino

ben-jamino

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

I also had exactly the same problem: keyboard and mouse were working fine, then keyboard suddenly stopped. The problem for me appeared to be a sticking key. I was very close to taking the advice above and unscrewing the keyboard to get at its innards, but before I did, I ran my finger (firmly) over every single key (and function key) on the keyboard. The tiny red LED at the top right of the keyboard flashed for a second or two, and then it came back to life! I've never seen that red LED illuminate either! PS. there was no visible evidence of keys sticking, but I assume that's what it was.

#12 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

@all well done all on being able to fix the problems with your keyboards.... It looks as though the quality of some keyboards may not quite be what we have come to expect. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#13 laylos

laylos

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi All Just registered to let you know how your post helped: Bought a pc line wirelesss mouse and keyboard about a month ago. Just died on me. Connected old wired keyboard - worked OK Got batteries for wireless keyboard - not still working Looked on www and found this page Read the page Pressed all the buttons firmly as suggested by ben - jamino No luck Dropped the keyboard on the office carpet - once each side (remove batteries first!) Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another way if you didn't fancy taking the back off too. Hope this help.....apologies for the recipe..been doing a JAVA beginners course for the last 2 weeks..but it's Friday and nearly home time here in Berlin Happy weekend all Cheers Steve

#14 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi Steve, and welcome to the WTT forums. Thanks for posting in your fix.... Glad it worked for you! :thumbup: Any particular type of carpet..... or will any old bit do?..... :woot: Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#15 denn

denn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Just Like gmmas wrote above,

I opened up the keyboard by removing all the small screws on the back of the keyboard and removed the touch membranes and unscrewed the clamp and removed the flexible circuit board.

I did not find any thing that looked wrong.

I reassembled everything making sure all the loose hotkeys were correctly in place.

I replaced the batteries and the keyboard has worked ever since. :D