Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Hard drive detects imminent failure

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

I walk in my classroom & hear my hard drive clicking like crazy. Here's what I see on the display:

1720 SMART hard drive detects imminent failure

Failing drive: SATA 0 (dark blue)
Failing attribute: #10

To minimize risk of data loss, back up the contents of your hard drive and run DPS Self-Test in F10 Setup

I don't know how to back up my hard drive from this point. Please help me retrieve my files from the hard drive, if possible, and restore my work station to working condition.

Thx,
JeffS

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:26 PM

You can backup any important data to CD/DVD/or removable media or external drive. In the meantime do not use the computer for any other purpose. DPS Self Test appears to be an HP/Compaq? After backing up any important data run the F10 test. The error on quick review appears quite serious but the test might show more detail.

#3 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it is an HP/Compaq computer. However, I have a question about your first suggestion.

You can backup any important data to CD/DVD/or removable media or external drive

I understand how to use Windows to save files to removable media, but how is this actually accomplished if Windows doesn't start? When booting, I can't get past the black screen with the "Imminent failure" message described earlier. I don't know how to even get to the files/folders I want to rescue.

JeffS

#4 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

Sorry I didn't realize that it was not bootable into windows. :o Do you have access to another desktop where you can either set this drive as a slave or else use in an external enclosure attached to another computer?

#5 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:06 PM

I'm in a classroom with several other computers, so yes, I have access to other desktops. However, I'll need some direction to "set this drive as a slave or else use in an external enclosure attached to another computer".

JeffS

#6 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

It would involve removing the hard drive and placing it in an external enclosure which connects via USB. Of course you would need such an enclosure. You can get one for @ $20 USD or so. The slave method requires opening the second computer and attaching your drive on the slave port of an IDE ribbon. The classroom environment also raises the question as to who actually owns these computers? If you have a teacher or IT staff member you should contact them.

#7 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

You're right. It's not my computer, so I shouldn't be tearing it apart. I was just hoping I could relsolve the situation myself instead of waiting a week for IT to get around to it. In your opinion, does it sound like I'm screwed as far as retrieving my files, or should my IT guys be able to do it?

#8 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:19 PM

It should be doable. It will require methods such as I described. That error indicates a failing drive but it is giving you notice to retrieve data so you should be able to.

#9 Jeff S

Jeff S

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for your time. I'll take it up with my IT guys from here. G'nite

#10 jephree

jephree

WTT Tech Emeritus

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

nite. Let us know if we can help further in the future.