Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

WINDOWS UPDATE - How to repair if it stops working

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tallin

tallin

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

There are a number of reasons, but I would guess one of three main causes could be:

1. The user has changed a setting somewhere and not noticed/remembered.

2. Virus, or other malware damage.

3. Some utility or other is preventing Windows Update to work. eg, I believe that either Spybot Search and Destroy, (in TeaTimer mode) or Norton's Internet Security (or both) have the ability to prevent Windows Updates. This is because they see the scanning that WU does as an intrusion and so blocks it.

Can it be random? On a normally working computer I would say no. Something has to happen to stop WU working.

This maybe the solution to your problem.

If Windows Updates will download but not install go here and see if it works:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/
Fix any issues, then validate it.

If it still doesn't work try this:

Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below:
  • Click the Start button
  • choose Run
  • type cmd and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Then attempt to run Windows Update again.

Step 1:

Verify that your computer's date and time are accurate and that Internet Explorer language option is not empty.

To check the language setting in Internet Explorer:

1. Click "Tools" and then choose "Internet Options"
2. Click the language button
3. Make sure at least one language is listed in the "Language Options" dialog.

When checking your date (including the year) and time, also check the Internet Time and Time Zone. Double click on the date/time in the notification/system tray area (near the clock) select Internet Time Tab and then select update now. If it's not already checked, check automatically synchronize with an internet Time Server – WinXP.

Step 2:

Also check these settings:

1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
4. Uncheck "Check for server certificate revocation".

Step 3:

Also delete Temporary Internet Files.

1. Tools > Internet Options > General
2. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files, Click OK

Step 4:

Tools > Internet Options > Security
Click Trusted sites, click Default level
Click the sites button and clear the checkbox "Require server verification"
(http:) for all sites in this zone."
Now add the following:

http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
https://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
http://download.windowsupdate.com

If required, reboot and try Windows Update again.

Step 5: If all else fails

If you still cannot get Windows Update to run, it is very important that you at least install the most important security updates and get your PC to a reasonable level of security. As of this writing, Service Pack 2 leaves you reasonably protected, but if you install Service Pack 3, all the better since it incorporates more security fixes. So basically, here are 2 more options for you:

Further information:

Before attempting to change anything on your system Backing up your registry using Erunt
is paramount. The above link provides information to do this.

Error 0x800A138F
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/0x800a138f.htm

The aim here is to help you solve this 0x800A138F problem and have you updating your Windows XP
Professional or Home Edition computer as soon as possible. http://www.updatexp.com/

Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page.

http://www.petri.co.il/wu_problems_800a138f.htm

Make sure you haven't got anything blocking Windows Update like:

Norton's,
ZoneAlarm etc

Also make sure you don't have a Web Accelerator working in the background such as:

Net Zero
HiSpeed
Speedband etc

Clear out your temporary internet cache.

Try a reboot and then try WU again.

Are there any specific error codes that you do see?
At what point does it continue when checking for the latest software, or when checking for updates?

Still no joy, then try: Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder:

• Start
  • Choose Run
  • In the Run box, type "services.msc" (without the quotes)
  • Click OK
  • Right click the Automatic Updates service
  • Click stop
  • Stopping the service will take a moment.
Rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder:

a. Click Start, click Run, type "%systemroot%" (without the quotes") and then click OK.
b. Right click the SoftwareDistribution folder, and then click Rename
c. Type: SoftwareDistribution.old and then press ENTER to rename this folder.

• Start
  • Choose Run
  • In the Run box, type "services.msc" without the quotes
  • Click OK
  • Right -click the Automatic Updates service
  • Click Start
  • Starting the service will take a moment.
Reboot if appropriate and try Windows Updates again.

Note when you rename the Software Distribution folder - you will loose your history but not important.

Your Windows Update maybe exactly the same as I was having sometime ago and by going through the above (supplied from a Microsoft Newsgroup exchange) you may correct your problem and allow you to download and install Windows Update's again.

Edited by Ztruker, 03 December 2010 - 08:13 PM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 rdor

rdor

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

I have been able to repair my windows up date and have installed all updates except I am unable to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB982168). Is there a work around or something that I need to do in order to install this?

#3 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hello, rdor. Sometimes, failure to update of .net framework occurs because an earlier version of .net framework already on your machine has become corrupted. If such is the case, you may have to completely uninstall all of .net framework and then freshly reinstall.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#4 Electrospark

Electrospark

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

After days upon days of trying to get "Windows Update" working and going from site to site, loading every scenario and changing parameters to no end, windows 7 started to go slower and slower. It was clear it was getting bogged down. The hole that I was digging was getting bigger with each step that I took. I was ready to format all... All my setting of years and setting the computer just the way I prefer it was ready to go down the toilet. Try the system restore and even that didn't work.

I came across your site and, what the hell.... why not!  Followed the steps one by one. To my amaze, "Windows update" was working once again. I can't thank you enough. The world makes sense again. All is back to normal.... :thumbup:

#5 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

We are extremely please that this fairly ancient post was beneficial to you.

I'm glad to hear that things are working for you again.

Welcome to the site, and now that you know where to find us, don't be shy about stopping bye and asking questions that may arise.  We have some pretty knowledgeable members here and you might find that your frustration level can be minimized by bouncing some thoughts off of others when things seem to go awry.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014